Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

White Lightning Clean Ride -- How to apply?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-18, 05:47 AM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts

This chain lube comes highly recommended both here and on Amazon, but I'm finding it a royal pain to use. I shake it well but as soon as I start to apply, the tip clogs and I have to shake again.

Any tips?
Old 12-24-18, 07:23 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
Wow, never had that problem, maybe try running something down the tip to enlarge the hole. My only issue is shaking the stuff enough to re dissolve all the solids on the bottom.

You did remind me though that I was gong to wipe down and lube my chain before todays ride....Thanks.

edit...I thought about it, and I do tend to shake it back up, after every couple dozen links.
Old 12-24-18, 10:53 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Shake it. Violently and for a loooong time. Then shake it some more. Beware if you attempt to enlarge the dripping hole -- it goes from finicky to pouring out rapidly with a very slight enlargement. Also, echoing Wileyrat, shake it during application too.

-Kedosto
Old 12-24-18, 11:20 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I have the quart size of Clean Ride so I draw some up into an oral syringe and apply 1 drop per roller. Haven't had any problems with application. Maybe the tip of the oral syringe has a larger diameter than the spout your using?

Old 12-24-18, 02:22 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
In keeping with the other directions on the bottle, don't use in under 45F. You could bring your bike inside to clean and lube the chain, but usually I use something messier in the winter. Anyway, WL doesn't protect very well in wet/slushy conditions.
Old 12-24-18, 05:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
WL doesn't protect very well in wet/slushy conditions.
some people swear by the stuff but I had very poor results with it. It rinsed off at the slightest hint of water which rendered it useless here in the Deep South.

Old 12-25-18, 12:54 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I love the stuff, but it doesn't love me back.

It works well as a chain lube and definitely keeps the chain cleaner than just about anything else I've ever heard of. Unfortunately, it sheds constantly. Small flecks of black debris flake off the chain all over the floor of my office and on my carpeted floor of my garage. After tracking one too many black specks into the house I decided I'd rather live a full, rich life than face the wife again over a spot on the floor.

But, shake it well before and during use and you're good to go.

-Kedosto
Old 12-26-18, 09:28 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
if it needs to be mixed & there's a low temp warning, then you can probably help the mixing by floating it in a plastic tub of warm water before shaking it
Old 12-26-18, 09:51 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
I use it year round on the beater. When it's cold out, it's cold in the garage. If I need to lube the chain, I put the bottle in my pants (maturity reminder...) and work on something else. After 5 or so minutes, I then lube the chain until the nozzle clogs. Repeat.

that sounds....
Likes For Ferrouscious:
Old 12-27-18, 02:20 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
I have Finish Line dry teflon lub which does this. I turn it right side up (tip to the ceiling), then squeeze the bottle to clear the nozzle. You could squeeze either on the flat sides (pushes air out) or on the narrow sides (widens the bottle and sucks air in). Sometimes I have to do this 4-5 times.
Old 12-27-18, 07:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Never had the problem when I used Clean Ride. Maybe try dipping the sealed shaken bottle in some warm water, that could help. You could also enlarge the hole at the tip and see if that helps.

I have used Clean Ride in the past and was our shop lube at my old shop but now currently use Finish Line Ceramic Wax Lube and haven't had any issues either.
Old 12-27-18, 07:55 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I tried to like Clean Ride. It was a pain to apply for me also. I never really did get a good balance between not clogging and gushing all over the floor. I switched to Squirt and have never looked back.
Old 12-27-18, 08:10 PM
Wattsup

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
I tried to like Clean Ride. It was a pain to apply for me also. I never really did get a good balance between not clogging and gushing all over the floor. I switched to Squirt and have never looked back.
It is messy stuff. I've used WL for a few gravel rides recently, and up until today I've had pretty good results with it. I rode through a couple of small, almost-dry mud puddles today though, and before long the chain started squeaking. I applied another coating on the chain just last evening.

I'm going to give Squirt a try, see if I have any better luck with it.
Old 01-02-19, 08:53 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Wattsup,

I'm going to give Squirt a try, see if I have any better luck with it.
If you try Squirt, completely clean the chain first...really deep clean as in get all residual gunk out of the links then apply the Squirt liberally the first time. I'd go so far as to start with a new chain and completely clean it of factory oil. Yeah, I was skeptical about doing that also because the factory oil is pretty darn good.

I lay the chain out on aluminum foil and hit every link joint. So far I am almost two years without a chain cleaning and I only re-apply the stuff maybe once every month or so. And after this long there is hardly any wear on the chain. It still measures close to what it did when new. Color me impressed.

It worked well when I lived in Arizona and I live in North Carolina with the humidity and it works just as well.

Last edited by drlogik; 01-02-19 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-03-19, 12:06 AM
Wattsup

Wattsup,

If you try Squirt, completely clean the chain first...really deep clean as in get all residual gunk out of the links then apply the Squirt liberally the first time. I'd go so far as to start with a new chain and completely clean it of factory oil. Yeah, I was skeptical about doing that also because the factory oil is pretty darn good.

I lay the chain out on aluminum foil and hit every link joint. So far I am almost two years without a chain cleaning and I only re-apply the stuff maybe once every month or so. And after this long there is hardly any wear on the chain. It still measures close to what it did when new. Color me impressed.

It worked well when I lived in Arizona and I live in North Carolina with the humidity and it works just as well.
Have you gotten the chain wet? I'm curious to see how it would do when I roll through mud puddles.
Old 01-03-19, 11:07 AM
drlogik 

Wattsup,

Have you gotten the chain wet? I'm curious to see how it would do when I roll through mud puddles.
I generally don't ride in the rain and I don't do a lot of mountain-biking lately. However, the Squirt doesn't just wash off. It is fairly tenacious on damp road rides. Just about any lube will wash out in a down-pour.
Old 01-06-19, 01:19 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just tap it on each link joint Tap Tap Tap !
Old 01-07-19, 05:52 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
I used White Lightning clean ride for years, and was always satisfied. I made the switch to Squirt here in Asia, and it's definitely a big improvement. It's much thicker, so application is a breeze.
Old 01-07-19, 09:11 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Wattsup,

I generally don't ride in the rain and I don't do a lot of mountain-biking lately. However, the Squirt doesn't just wash off. It is fairly tenacious on damp road rides. Just about any lube will wash out in a down-pour.
A solid lubricant like wax won't "wash off" in any event. Wax is just too water insoluble for that to happen. When people think that wax lubricants are "rinsed off at the slightest hint of water", what they are really experiencing is the high viscosity properties of waxes. The wax moves away from a surface and doesn't move back easily like an oil does. You can get some corrosion between the plates (mostly) that can cause squeaking but that's really just a minor problem.

The possible problem that I see with a product like Squirt that I see is that it is a water/wax emulsion. Whatever detergent that is being used for emulsifying the wax...and it has to be a pretty powerful detergent given how water insoluble wax is...is still there. Add water and the detergent goes back to emulsifying which means that the wax can be washed off. I'm not saying that this happens as I've not used Squirt but the possibility exists.

On the other hand, oil based lubricants do flow but they also emulsify the water which is going to sit on the metal and provide an avenue for corrosion. People think that the oil is doing a great job but it is really only masking the problem. If you ride in rain, you should any lubricant you use.

Welcome to the club! I haven't been using Squirt but I have been doing this to my chains while using White Lightning for about 20 years. I've gone about 2 decades without having to do the constant chain cleaning rigamarole. More importantly, I can handle the drivetrain without a hazmat suit.

Finally, on cleaning, "deep" cleaning isn't what most people think it is. A cup of mineral spirits in a Gatorade bottle and a minute of vigorous agitation (probably less) is all you need. Let the chain dry and lubricant it. A new chain lasts me about 3500 miles which is 3 years on some bikes and 10 years on others...depending on usage.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-07-19, 11:54 AM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by cyccommute

The possible problem that I see with a product like Squirt that I see is that it is a water/wax emulsion. Whatever detergent that is being used for emulsifying the wax...and it has to be a pretty powerful detergent given how water insoluble wax is...is still there. Add water and the detergent goes back to emulsifying which means that the wax can be washed off. I'm not saying that this happens as I've not used Squirt but the possibility exists.

A new chain lasts me about 3500 miles which is 3 years on some bikes and 10 years on others...depending on usage.
FUD!

​​​​​​​One concern I have about White Lightening is that it uses a volatile, flammable carrier. Someone lubing his bike in a basement with a hot water heater that uses a pilot light might find himself, his wife and children, his dog, and his house go up in smoke! I'm not saying that this happens, but the possibility exists.

p.s. Velonews gave very high marks to Squirt in its lubricity tests. If I recall, it came in second only to a molten wax chain bath. Also, I see some Squirt users on Amazon are getting 6500 miles from their chains!
Old 01-07-19, 12:11 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Molten speed wax>paraffin>squirt>>>>>WL Clean ride when it comes to rain riding. Here in the PNW the CL will start squeeking almost immediately as soon as the rain starts or if there's a lot of road spray.
Old 01-07-19, 12:38 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Wattsup
FUD!

One concern I have about White Lightening is that it uses a volatile, flammable carrier. Someone lubing his bike in a basement with a hot water heater that uses a pilot light might find himself, his wife and children, his dog, and his house go up in smoke! I'm not saying that this happens, but the possibility exists.
FUD indeed. The mineral spirits in White Lightning has a flash point of 23°C (73°F) according to the MSDS. You might be able to get it to ignite if you are using it on the pilot light but using it on the pilot light would only be slightly sillier than using it in your basement. As with any organic solvent, use it in a well ventilated area.

On the other hand, the surfactant used in Squirt is still there and still available to do what it does best. Surfactants don't evaporate.

Also, I see some Squirt users on Amazon are getting 6500 miles from their chains!
I would be highly dubious about any claims of 6500 miles for any chain lubricant. I put claims like that in the same category as 25" trout. The mileage tends to grow with each retelling.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-07-19, 01:32 PM
Wattsup

I would be highly dubious about any claims of 6500 miles for any chain lubricant. I put claims like that in the same category as 25" trout. The mileage tends to grow with each retelling.
Well, there's only one way to find out. Overcome your fear of the (hypothetical) detergent issue and go get yourself a bottle!
Old 01-07-19, 10:35 PM
cyccommute 

Well, there's only one way to find out. Overcome your fear of the (hypothetical) detergent issue and go get yourself a bottle!
Probably not going to happen. I’m still finding bottles from the case of White Lightning I bought nearly 20 years ago and I just bought some Rock and Roll to try. It will take me 5 years or more to get through that.

Old 01-07-19, 11:00 PM
Wattsup

Probably not going to happen. I’m still finding bottles from the case of White Lightning I bought nearly 20 years ago and I just bought some Rock and Roll to try. It will take me 5 years or more to get through that.
Why did you buy the R&R?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.