Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What did you just buy for your gravel bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

What did you just buy for your gravel bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-19, 10:30 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
why did we ever move away from square taper
Old 11-26-19, 10:49 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
All else equal...about 1 pound of weight.
Old 11-27-19, 12:52 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Because you can make a wider-diameter spindle with similar strength and rigidity at a lower weight in lower-density materials. Obviously this poses its own drawbacks, but making BB shells huge to compensate isn't an unnatural choice for aluminum and carbon frame construction.
Furthermore, it's cheaper for bike manufacturers to make unthreaded shells than threaded, and trying to make BBs for 3-piece cranks like square-taper or Octalink work in press-fit shells is a clunky proposition.

The reason I'm using square taper here - and a part of why I bought this particular frame - is the amount of control that it offers over crank setup. There's a broad assortment of parts available, and the ability to swap spindles and shift them laterally gives loads of control over chainline and q-factor.
One of my road bikes has a triple with a 142mm q-factor.

But, I should contain my excitement until I have this drivetrain together and it works, which is hopefully something that will happen. It might not, because what I'm attempting to do is stupid and bad.

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
All else equal...about 1 pound of weight.
Typically more like half a pound. Since the cranks don't have the spindle, they're not always at a weight disadvantage versus similar-tier modern two-piece cranks, and many quality BBs are in the 250g ballpark or lower (below 200g if you're cool with titanium spindles).

It's true that square-taper setups sometimes get ultra-heavy, but that's in large part because square taper's biggest remaining market is on setups that are cheap and beefy. A SunRace FCM300 paired with a BB-UN55 is going to end up at around 3 pounds, but I'm not sure what an "all else equal" setup would look like for literally any other type of spindle. I mean, if I go to Campagnolo and I say that I want a triple crankset and a bottom bracket that will spin smoothly until the heat death of the universe, and I'd like it to be Ultra-Torque, and my budget is $40, what can they offer?
Old 11-27-19, 06:01 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Because you can make a wider-diameter spindle with similar strength and rigidity at a lower weight in lower-density materials. Obviously this poses its own drawbacks, but making BB shells huge to compensate isn't an unnatural choice for aluminum and carbon frame construction.
Furthermore, it's cheaper for bike manufacturers to make unthreaded shells than threaded, and trying to make BBs for 3-piece cranks like square-taper or Octalink work in press-fit shells is a clunky proposition.

The reason I'm using square taper here - and a part of why I bought this particular frame - is the amount of control that it offers over crank setup. There's a broad assortment of parts available, and the ability to swap spindles and shift them laterally gives loads of control over chainline and q-factor.
One of my road bikes has a triple with a 142mm q-factor.

But, I should contain my excitement until I have this drivetrain together and it works, which is hopefully something that will happen. It might not, because what I'm attempting to do is stupid and bad.

Typically more like half a pound. Since the cranks don't have the spindle, they're not always at a weight disadvantage versus similar-tier modern two-piece cranks, and many quality BBs are in the 250g ballpark or lower (below 200g if you're cool with titanium spindles).

It's true that square-taper setups sometimes get ultra-heavy, but that's in large part because square taper's biggest remaining market is on setups that are cheap and beefy. A SunRace FCM300 paired with a BB-UN55 is going to end up at around 3 pounds, but I'm not sure what an "all else equal" setup would look like for literally any other type of spindle. I mean, if I go to Campagnolo and I say that I want a triple crankset and a bottom bracket that will spin smoothly until the heat death of the universe, and I'd like it to be Ultra-Torque, and my budget is $40, what can they offer?
Depends on the cranks.

I had an IRD Defiant 46/30 and UN-55 bottom bracket is a bit over 1 kilogram and costs $215USD new ($200 for the crank, $15 for the BB). The FSA SL-K 46/30 and BB that replaced it was about $400USD and weighed 600 grams....which, in the realm of weight weenie-ism, even getting 1gram/$ is good--getting 2gram/$ is a steal. Keeping $$ spent constant would still get you 105-level cranks and get you your half-pound saved. Either will be much stiffer.

Sq taper is gone from higher-end because it was heavy, and not stiff. And the lighter you made it (titanium spindles--EEeeek), the more noodly it got. And as I recall those Ti spindle BBs had posted weight limits. The only big advantage Ye Old sealed cartridge tapers had was durability, and adjustability of the spindle..

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 11-27-19 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-27-19, 09:35 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by DarKris
More Tires: Spesh Fast Trak 650b (27.5) x 2.0

On the 30mm rims the casing stretches to 54.5mm at 40 PSI. I am heavier so that pressure is typical. I might play around with my tire pressures to see how low I can run w/o being too inefficient on road.
Nice!
Old 11-27-19, 05:33 PM
kokak
Just finidng my cadence

Bikes: Motobecane Ti Century Pro, Catrike 559

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
More Tires: Spesh Fast Trak 650b (27.5) x 2.0

On the 30mm rims the casing stretches to 54.5mm at 40 PSI. I am heavier so that pressure is typical. I might play around with my tire pressures to see how low I can run w/o being too inefficient on road.
Just curious... how are you liking the Catalyst Pedals?
Old 11-27-19, 09:49 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
For me at 350lbs, they aren’t as stiff/reliable as 24mm/30mm spindles

Originally Posted by Metieval
Nice!
So I actually ditched the tires. They got up to 55.5mm at the casing and with only about 3-4mm between the stays I didn’t want to risk rubbing. The knobs were only about 51mm so that wasn’t the issue. Gonna try a 2.0 Continental Race King and if that doesn’t work I’ll run Teravail Rutlands.

Originally Posted by kokak
Just curious... how are you liking the Catalyst Pedals?
I like them a lot though I still need to run crank spacers to get my q-factor just right. My second favorite pedal is the Crank Bros. Stamp pedals in the large size. It’s wider than the Catalyst but slightly shorter but the width of the Stamp pedals means I don’t have to use spacers
Old 11-28-19, 12:41 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
So I actually ditched the tires. They got up to 55.5mm at the casing and with only about 3-4mm between the stays I didn’t want to risk rubbing. The knobs were only about 51mm so that wasn’t the issue. Gonna try a 2.0 Continental Race King and if that doesn’t work I’ll run Teravail Rutlands.
I was thinking 650x50 Strada USH, or the 650x50 MSO
Old 11-28-19, 08:44 AM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Originally Posted by Metieval
I was thinking 650x50 Strada USH, or the 650x50 MSO
I considered the MSO’s but I wasn’t too keen on the weight of the tires. Also I tried the 700x50mm MSOs before and on 23mm rims they ended up measuring to about 54mm. Wasn’t sure if the 650b version would turn out the same or more considering my even wider rims.
Old 11-28-19, 12:22 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3235 Post(s)
Liked 2,080 Times in 1,178 Posts
Not sure it strictly qualifies as something “for” the gravel bike, but I bought a gravel bike, my first dedicated bike for off roads, other than my mt. bikes. Cannondale Topstone 105 aluminum.

Test ride today, it’s great (forgot to take picture in woods), fits well, but I’ve got road fit dialed in. Came with a 42m bar, which is odd on a bike for folks in the 5’-9” and up range. I’ve ordered a 46, my usual width.

Did 6 miles of dirt of the 14 I could squeeze in this morning, and this is not an area with an abundance of dirt roads. Will add a 2nd set of wheels and 28mm tires, plus a tighter cassette, to use as a commuter next spring.

Likes For Steve B.:
Old 11-28-19, 12:56 PM
Duende108

Bikes: Mosaic GT-1, Waterford SR-33, Ciocc San Cristobal

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What did I just get for my gravel bike? A set of road wheels!
Likes For Duende108:
Old 11-29-19, 11:02 PM
DarKris

Ok *hopefully* I am finished with Looking for 27.5“ tires that fit my bike. Running the rear at 35 PSI and the front at 30 PSI. Really fun setup 😬

Casing width

Tread Width

Likes For DarKris:
Old 11-30-19, 12:15 PM
dualresponse

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 45 Posts
SURLY OGRE' (fork)
Came in the mail last night.... Installed on my 700c converted trek 930 frankenbike. I didn't want to cut the steerer too low until I found out if it worked or not. Amazingly, the geometry works!!!!
Likes For dualresponse:
Old 11-30-19, 05:13 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Good news and bad news on purchasing front.
  • Good news: LBS was having a 20% off Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V wheels, which have the 24mm internal rim width and the 108 point hub, which sounds like a boss when freewheeling.
  • Bad news: rear wheel was out of stock for Shimano...so it's on back order, not just at the LBS, but at Trek in general, so I have to wait a bit before I take ownership.
Old 11-30-19, 05:22 PM
diverge52rider

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Cheap aero bars ... I just hope they're worth the $12.

Last edited by diverge52rider; 11-30-19 at 05:29 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 12-06-19, 12:30 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Found these handlebars on sale on ChainReation for $90USD shipped:

https://spank-ind.com/products/spank...84%A2-drop-bar

Was thinking of changing out my Cowbell for a Cowchipper--but this bar I think I'll like as the entire tops-area is 31.8mm as opposed to the Whisky and Salsa and Easton versions that taper down almost instantly. Also has basically no sweep.

Whether the vibrocore stuff works or not...the shape should be better.
Old 12-06-19, 12:56 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Those look nice. I wish more bars had full 31.8mm diameter across the top like that.

Was thinking of changing out my Cowbell for a Cowchipper--but this bar I think I'll like as the entire tops-area is 31.8mm as opposed to the Whisky and Salsa and Easton versions that taper down almost instantly. Also has basically no sweep.

Old 12-08-19, 04:28 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts

I was looking at their 12 degree wing bars but can't find anything on how long the 31.8mm section is - and I need room for Aero Bars, a light and a Garmin mount so it's risky purchasing them sight unseen. I like the less flare and the flat top on these, but it's a no-go without that info and they don't have any contact information on their website. (not even sure they are rated for Aero Bars).
Old 12-08-19, 07:55 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V (25mm internal width, 32mm outer width, "Rapid 108 Hub" which is a 6 pawl 54 tooth drive ring). Sounds very similar to my 54 tooth DT 240s hubs (just a more muted sound, but the angle of engagement is really small, I think around 6 degrees). Mounted new 38c Panaracer GravelKing SK tubeless on them. Just waiting for my rotors and cassette to arrive tomorrow.

The only bummer is that it's going to be Ultegra rotors because the 160mm Dura-Ace rotors were on backorder at the places I normally get them for reasonably cheap.

Old 12-15-19, 11:48 PM
HTupolev

Deda Dog Fang.

I hope to never discover whether or not it works!
Old 12-16-19, 07:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Deda Dog Fang.
I hope to never discover whether or not it works!
You are a very capable home mechanic, so this is a great opportunity to ask you why you need this as it isnt at all a question of your abilities and rather- why is it needed even for someone who has proper shifting.
Thats on your friction shifting bike, so if the H and L limits are set, there just wont be any chain drop inside the small ring, correct?

Wasnt sure if its on the bike as precaution though not needed before, of if dropping the chain is an issue for some reason on friction shifting or on that crank or something like that.
Old 12-16-19, 02:51 PM
HTupolev

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You are a very capable home mechanic, so this is a great opportunity to ask you why you need this as it isnt at all a question of your abilities and rather- why is it needed even for someone who has proper shifting.
Thats on your friction shifting bike, so if the H and L limits are set, there just wont be any chain drop inside the small ring, correct?

Wasnt sure if its on the bike as precaution though not needed before, of if dropping the chain is an issue for some reason on friction shifting or on that crank or something like that.
It's to address an actual problem.

Part of the issue is that the rear derailleur is an Alivio T4000, which does not have a super-strong tensioner spring to compensate for the super-long cage; the result is a drivetrain that's prone to the chain flopping around dramatically on rough terrain. That's a common quirk with Shimano's cheaper MTB rear derailleurs. A couple times it actually managed to throw the chain off from the middle ring when we hit a patch of super-chunky gravel.
But this hasn't been much of an issue. If I'm going slow, the chain basically never gets bouncy enough to get thrown. And if I'm going fast (i.e. in the middle or big rings), in the very rare event that I get a drop, it would be easy to shift back onto the rings since I've got momentum to work with.

The main issue I'm trying to solve, and which isn't that rare, is the chain occasionally being thrown off the inside on front downshifts. I'm not really sure why this particular drivetrain is prone to this, it never happens on other triples that I've set up. It might be partly due to the size of the jump: the 38->24 14-tooth jump isn't a huge front shift, but it's bigger than most middle-to-small jumps on triples, and you have limited control of how close the FD's outer cage plate sits over the middle ring during middle-to-small shifts (especially on unmatched chainring and FD arrangements).
I'm not sure how "proper" the setup can be said to be. If I was serious about finding a more correct-ish solution, I'd probably start by looking into a better-matched front derailleur. Originally the bike had a Deore triple FD, but the inner plate couldn't clear the middle ring on middle-to-large upshifts unless the derailleur was set ridiculously high. Currently it has an FD-CX70, which seems visually less-wrong but isn't exactly made for a wide-range triple. Something like an IRD Alpina might be a better match, or perhaps the front derailleur that I have laying around from a 1990 Bridgestone RB-T.
Old 12-17-19, 09:14 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
GravelKing SK+ in 43mm. Good grip, but damn they're slow. So I bought some 40mm Contintental Terra Speeds, we'll see how those work out. The SK+ might be great offroad and super durable (a lot of people seem to like them, maybe the regular SKs are better and it's just the Plus with the extra layer that is slow), but I need a faster tire for the riding/racing I do. Limited reviews on the Terra Speeds, but they tested about 5w faster than the SKs, figure the SK+ is probably a few watts slower still. Doing some fast gravel in VA next week when I go to visit family, see if I can get some segment PRs.
Old 12-27-19, 05:58 PM
westrid_dad

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Finally gave in, and mounted fenders on my "fair weather commuter/graveler/single-tracker/roadster" Cannondale Topstone. I didn't think I'd need them necessarily, but after I got tired of listening to the incessant hum of studs on dry (cold) pavement while riding my Surly Ogre (the foul weather commuter), I added fenders to the Cannondale as well. At least for the season, we'll see...

Still need to fine-tune fit, and trim the velcro straps up front, but I think I'm going to like these SKS Speedrockers.

https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/speedrocker/

Other recent additional include lights. While a big fan of dyno power, I wasn't ready to invest in dyno hubs for both wheelsets, so rechargeable USB it is. But I didn't want to give up a proper cut-off beam for road-riding so I went with Busch + Müller Ixon Space up front for my primary light, up to 150 Lux steady beam.

https://www.bumm.de/en/products/akku...ukt/196l.html?
​​​​​​​
Add a mix of Lezyne and Bontrager for flashies front and back. Now I feel I have adequate lighting for road commuting, day or night.

Likes For westrid_dad:
Old 12-29-19, 02:56 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I gave in and put a Redshift Shock Stop stem on my gravel bike. I run 40's tubeless about about 33 lbs; but even then the rougher forest service roads were just beating me up too much. So far - results are 'meh', but I'll keep adjusting it to see if I can find a sweet spot of usefulness.
Likes For IronM:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.