Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tip for Jersey Zipper

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tip for Jersey Zipper

Old 03-11-20, 03:10 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Tip for Jersey Zipper

I’ve had the zipper slider break on almost every Jersey that I’ve owned despite following the manufacturers recommended washing instructions. To save from repeatedly repairing the zipper, since my jerseys are full zipper and there is no need to zipper them completely open, I just zipper them halfway open and slip them on and off over my head.
Likes For hrdknox1:
Old 03-11-20, 07:21 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I've done this on some of mine that looked more fragile than others. I have never understood why they so often put what appear to be such cheapo zippers on such expensive jerseys.
Old 03-11-20, 08:32 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
For some reason I've never unzipped my jerseys all the way down, even in the full heat of an Az summer. I've always treated all of them like a half zip jersey, full zip or not.
Old 03-11-20, 09:34 PM
SClaraPokeman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I don't undo zippers all the way on the road like a European pro on an extended hill climb, because no one would want to see that, but I do like undoing them before showering because I don't have to worry about tearing stitching like I do with a damp half zip jersey.

I like jerseys that have zippers I can operate with one hand--those to me signify better construction in most cases.
Likes For SClaraPokeman:
Old 03-12-20, 02:21 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I had to switch to full zip jerseys in summer 2018 while recovering from a broken and dislocated shoulder. I was concerned about zipper quality but, so far, so good with decent mid-grade quality jerseys from Pearl Izumi (two short sleeve, two long sleeve), Garneau and Bontrager. Pearl Izumi zippers were a bit better integrated into their aero jerseys, but all of 'em seem good enough.

I already had a couple of entry level Garneau jerseys with 1/3-length zippers and they economized there, but those zippers have been fine for five years now. Ditto a low priced "Koramon" no-name jersey from Amazon. Lower cost zipper but it's been fine for three years of regular use.

Most full length zippers on sports wear have finicky entry/ending points (the bottom stops or retainer boxes) where the slider mates the two halves with teeth. I try to be patient zipping and unzipping to avoid damage there.

The worst zippers are usually on bags -- any sort of carrying bag, from camera to laptop and other gear bags. If a low cost bag seems to use good material and seems sturdy but the cost seems improbable for the apparent quality, check the zippers and stitching. That's where the knockoffs, counterfeits and bargain bags will pinch pennies. The first thing to fail on my otherwise decent weatherproof AGU bag (made in Holland) was the zipper on one of the side pouches. I'm guessing they're trying to compete with Ortleib and pinched pennies on zippers. The main closure for the lid is hinged with bungee strap closures, and those have worked fine for several years. But the side pouches are useless because of the zippers. In contrast a Kirtland Tour Pack handlebar bag I bought in the 1970s was still going strong after 30+ years and served hard duty in a second life as a camera gadget bag and utility bag for my safety testing equipment on the job. Some stitched loops failed after several years but the zippers all held up well.
Old 03-12-20, 04:51 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by hrdknox1
I’ve had the zipper slider break on almost every Jersey that I’ve owned despite following the manufacturers recommended washing instructions. To save from repeatedly repairing the zipper, since my jerseys are full zipper and there is no need to zipper them completely open, I just zipper them halfway open and slip them on and off over my head.
A lot of my kit is worn and I do exactly that ^. Additionally, I have my wife sew a "stop" about halfway down across the two sides of the zipper. That way I can't go below it to the damaged part of the zipper.
Old 03-12-20, 05:47 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Here is an even better tip: any decent seamstress can replace the zipper on a jersey for about $10 or $15.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-12-20, 05:59 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Here is an even better tip: any decent seamstress can replace the zipper on a jersey for about $10 or $15.
Good luck finding that these days. We live in a throw away society. For me, a little thread across the zipper to make sure it doesn't come all the way unzipped is more economical than spending 10-15 bucks for every old jersey I own that has a worn zipper end.

Last edited by nomadmax; 03-12-20 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-12-20, 06:20 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Good luck finding that these days. We live in a throw away society. For me, a little thread across the zipper to make sure it doesn't come all the way unzipped is more economical than spending 10-15 bucks for every old jersey I own that has a worn zipper end.
It's not hard to find. There are two in my little town of 5,000 people. Anyone who does tailoring and alterations can replace a zipper.
Old 03-12-20, 06:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,488 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Good luck finding that these days.
One perk of living in the "big city." Not far from my house is a cleaners with a great, old world tailor. When I told him how much Jos. Banks gets for a poor hem job on a pair of pants he was shocked. We also still have things like shoe repair places.
Old 03-12-20, 07:58 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
This thread has me scratching my head. I probably have 50 jerseys, from ride jerseys to club jerseys to plain colors and 'fun' jerseys. I've never had a zipper or zipper pull break. Some of them are 30 years old. I throw stuff in the washer on regular and tumble dry on low heat.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 03-12-20, 08:49 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
I don't use the zipper all that much on my jerseys, just donning and doffing. @nomadmax IIRC there's a tailor on Dayton-Xenia near Grange Hall that replaces zippers.
Likes For Ferrouscious:
Old 03-12-20, 08:57 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by SClaraPokeman
because no one would want to see that

Thank you for this. We get scarred enough on a daily basis at work. And trust me, no one wants to see the hair on my chest too, especially since its more gray now than ever.

I have 4 jerseys. And two more I've thrown away. Never had a zipper break, but I also air dry my jerseys.
Old 03-12-20, 02:30 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
This thread has me scratching my head. I probably have 50 jerseys, from ride jerseys to club jerseys to plain colors and 'fun' jerseys. I've never had a zipper or zipper pull break. Some of them are 30 years old. I throw stuff in the washer on regular and tumble dry on low heat.
Perhaps that is an advantage to owning 50 jerseys. None of them get worn enough to wear out. I have 4 jerseys that I wear 4 days a week. After a couple of years zipper pulls start to fail.
I'm not sure I have 46 more jerseys in my cycling budget!
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 03-13-20, 05:59 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by indyfabz
One perk of living in the "big city." Not far from my house is a cleaners with a great, old world tailor. When I told him how much Jos. Banks gets for a poor hem job on a pair of pants he was shocked. We also still have things like shoe repair places.
We’ve got two seamstresses and a cobbler in my town of 5000. Someone above referred to a “throwaway society,“ but that sort of thing is an individual choice. It’s not forced on us.
Old 03-13-20, 12:38 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
We’ve got two seamstresses and a cobbler in my town of 5000. Someone above referred to a “throwaway society,“ but that sort of thing is an individual choice. It’s not forced on us.
I pretty much like to fend for myself. There is repair place in a nearby town I've had do repair work for me. I pretty much like to fend for myself as much as possible. I don't repair shoes, that often, but I do have my own sewing machine for the odd clothes modifying.
Old 03-13-20, 02:26 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Perhaps that is an advantage to owning 50 jerseys. None of them get worn enough to wear out. I have 4 jerseys that I wear 4 days a week. After a couple of years zipper pulls start to fail.
Brent
I cycle over six jerseys one per riding day, a short sleeve set for temperate weather and long sleeve thermal set for cold.

The zippers are holding up fine machine washing and air drying, apart from perhaps running one thermal jersey through the dryer when I don't get around to laundry until late Sunday evening.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 03-14-20 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-13-20, 02:38 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Brent
Buy a couple every year. You won't notice the cost at that rate, but after 20 years, you'll have 45 jerseys (somebody will get you an extra for Christmas, or you'll do a supported ride that comes with one, every few years). They almost never wear out -- I think I've only tossed one that really wore out.