Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vitus seatpost diameter

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vitus seatpost diameter

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-20, 01:31 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Vitus seatpost diameter

If my seat tube (vitus 172) is 28mm, and it measures at least that for the full length. Does this imply a 26.0 or 26.2mm seat post? Furthermore if i were to run a reamer down it would 26.2 be too much?
Old 03-17-20, 02:31 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Verktyg gave this info some time back: 26.2 or 26.4 depending on year of manufacture.
Old 03-17-20, 08:12 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
If my seat tube (vitus 172) is 28mm, and it measures at least that for the full length. Does this imply a 26.0 or 26.2mm seat post? Furthermore if i were to run a reamer down it would 26.2 be too much?
and... I just realized this question must be related to your newly acquired Motobecane G.T. I also have a Moto G.T., though I believe mine is a '76. My seatpost is 26.2mm.
Old 03-17-20, 08:51 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by Insidious C.
and... I just realized this question must be related to your newly acquired Motobecane G.T. I also have a Moto G.T., though I believe mine is a '76. My seatpost is 26.2mm.
bingo and thankyou. since i dont have the original post and i am trying to get the hole rounder i am thinking about using the reamer i have until it cleans up. I have done a few of these with a reamer my dad had from way back. Just want to be conservative enough that i dont wreck the seat tube.
Old 03-18-20, 03:25 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
bingo and thankyou. since i dont have the original post and i am trying to get the hole rounder i am thinking about using the reamer i have until it cleans up. I have done a few of these with a reamer my dad had from way back. Just want to be conservative enough that i dont wreck the seat tube.
i got my adjustable reamer from my exwifes house. She doesnt seem to need it. Anyway i attempted to make the hole round again as i approached 26.2. It was close but since i have an unused laprade 26.4 i decided to go for the gusto and get to 26.4. It worked and is a real close fit. Better than most any other bike i have.
i hope this doesnt confuse the next guy that gets this bike.