Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Right shoe feels tight/fixed in the pedal

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-20, 11:38 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts

Hi,

so I started cycling properly again in March after winter, and after some time noticed a discomfort in my knee in the evenings while sitting/lying on the sofa. Not so much during cycling but a friend suggested knee position during the strokes and if I am going inwards. Sure enough, in the right knee where I experience the discomfort, I go inwards.

I even figured out why - my right foot position is angled that way, the toes are inwards, the heel outwards. This seems to be, because when I put them straight, I feel a tension in my foot. In the shoe. Not sure how to describe it, but it feels unnatural to have it that way, like I have to put in effort to keep it that way. Like I am fighting the cleat fixed in the pedal. With my left one I do not have this sensation. It feels normal, I can wiggle the shoe about, the toes inwards, outwards, it feels normal, without resistance.

I noticed I had my right cleat 1mm backward compared to me left cleat, which I think I did because my left foot is longer. I set that forward and will try on a ride tomorrow if it feels better. But does anyone know how one can adjust the fit of the shoe in the pedal (is that even a thing)? The tension on the pedal release is about the same as far as I can tell, though I also did that one turn to the left on the right pedal.

Thanks,
ZHVelo
Old 04-06-20, 11:48 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Cleat type and pedal model would help.
Old 04-07-20, 12:12 AM
ZHVelo

Pedals are SPD (M520 I believe) and cleats are SH51.
Old 04-07-20, 10:59 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I don't ride SPDs, but don't they have a way to change the angle of the cleat as it interfaces with the pedal? Why not play with that a bit until it feels right?
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 04-08-20, 01:52 AM
ZHVelo

Thank you, I will try with that, moving them forward seemed to have a small effect, I was now able to hold my foot straight much better, it still feels tight compared to the left foot, but it wasn't unbearable and I didn't subconsciously change position.

I found some videos on youtube where people show how you can indeed angle the cleats somewhat, and move them horizontally along the sole, not just vertically so I will give that a try.
Likes For ZHVelo: