Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Challenge Open Tubulars

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Challenge Open Tubulars

Old 06-12-20, 01:35 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Challenge Open Tubulars

Does anyone have experience using this version? Challenge Elite Pro, 700c x 25:

I have been impressed with Vittoria's various Open Pro open tubular tires which have 320TPI. Very supple and a fantastic ride. These Challenge Elites seem similar, but I worry about sizing. I can get the Vittorias on and off by hand after the initial installation (during which I use one tire lever to do the final seating of the bead).

Wear rate? Feel? Cut-resistance? I'm interested in any/all feedback if you've used or are using this particular tire (I'm not considering any other Challenge tires but these currently).

Oh, they will be going on Mavic Open Pro or MA3 machined-sidewall clincher rims, typical late 90s through 2000s rim.

Thanks!

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 06-12-20, 06:44 PM
SuperLJ
"part timer"

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1978 Bertin C35, 1982 Trek 614, 1983 Trek 620, 1984 Nishiki Seral, 1995 Mercian Ko’M, 1998 Fisher HKEK, 2000 Rivendell RS, 2001 Heron Touring, 2016 Nobilette Custom

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 60 Posts
Sorry, but I don’t have any experience with these specific tires, but Challenge Paris-Roubaixs have been my go-to tire for years. I think these are the same as the ones you’re inquiring about only slightly wider, so I’m assuming most of the following would also apply to the Elite Pros.

The P-Rs are marked 27mm, but run about 3mm wider on Open Pros at 30mm. New in the package they have no rounded tire shape to them at all - they’re completely flat. They are easily the hardest tires to mount tires I’ve ever had. Tube changes are easy though once they’ve been mounted, inflated, and have a chance to stretch.

In the past they had the reputation of being somewhat fragile and prone to tread cuts. Challenge must have changed the tread compound on the latest iteration though, and now they seem much more robust in that respect. The newer ones also have a red colored extra puncture resistant belt inside. For me, even the older model never seemed any more or less flat prone than other tires.

Here’s the good news: They are the best riding wired-on tires I’ve ever used. To me the feel like a good quality tubular. I have Herse Extra-Light tires in 28 and 32 on a couple bikes, and I think the Challenges actually have a more supple ride. They aren’t the highest mileage tire out there, but they’re so fast and comfy that I’m willing to put up with that. I usually get 2000 + or - miles out of a pair, but I don’t run tires out as far as some folks do.

Hope this helped a little.

Last edited by SuperLJ; 06-12-20 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-12-20, 07:23 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I am also running some Challenge open tubular tires, though not the model you’re looking at. But I do have some observations and experience with them. I’m running the wider Almanzo tires on one bike and the Chicane on another. I’ll echo what SuperLJ says about the ride - they are very smooth, supple, and comfortable. They also seem pretty rugged - I did a single track ride today on my CX bike with the Chicanes, and they handled everything really well. But I will add this - because they are layed up by hand, they can have irregularities. The tread layer on one of my Chicanes started to delaminate. The tread ply is basically glued onto the casing. A shop employee who used to work for Challenge said that the tread ply on these can be removed and replaced - they were designed to do that. He told me how to repair the separation (really good contact cement), and since I’ve made the repair, I’ve had no problems. Both the Almanzos and Chicanes ran a few millimeters wider than advertised. These are also the easiest tires to get on and off my rims that I’ve ever had. Finally, I’d love to have a pair of Challenge road tires for my Ironman.
Old 06-13-20, 02:18 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 273 Posts
I have a Challenge Elite on a front wheel that I've put a few '00 miles on during 2020, much of that was on smooth gravel. Very nice for a clincher tire. Marked as a 23, but seems to inflate bigger.

Still not nearly as good as a tubular setup, but that is an inherent fault of the clincher rim design, and not to the Challenge Elite tire construction or materials.
Old 06-14-20, 02:47 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Ha ha - this thread had fallen so far down the page I thought there had been no responses! Thanks for the input, guys. Based on the information proffered, I think I'm gonna take a flyer and give them a shot - the one's I've been watching would set me back about 45 bux per after tax and shipping, which is more than reasonable to me.

DD
Old 06-14-20, 08:34 AM
SuperLJ
"part timer"

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1978 Bertin C35, 1982 Trek 614, 1983 Trek 620, 1984 Nishiki Seral, 1995 Mercian Ko’M, 1998 Fisher HKEK, 2000 Rivendell RS, 2001 Heron Touring, 2016 Nobilette Custom

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Ha ha - this thread had fallen so far down the page I thought there had been no responses! Thanks for the input, guys. Based on the information proffered, I think I'm gonna take a flyer and give them a shot - the one's I've been watching would set me back about 45 bux per after tax and shipping, which is more than reasonable to me.

DD
DD -

I predict that once you finally get these mounted (remember - swearing a lot helps!), you’re gonna love the ride quality. Let us know what you think.
Old 06-14-20, 09:55 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by SuperLJ
DD -

I predict that once you finally get these mounted (remember - swearing a lot helps!)...let us know what you think.
That's the only thing that worries me. My hands already suffer from arthritis! But it's comforting to know that once on they will stretch - that's been my experience with Vittoria's Open series folding tires, too.

I'm curious to know whether I'll feel a difference between the 360TPI Vittorias and the 260TPI Challenges on the way; will definitely report back with my mounting/riding experience.

DD
Old 06-14-20, 10:15 PM
SuperLJ
"part timer"

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
... I'm curious to know whether I'll feel a difference between the 360TPI Vittorias and the 260TPI Challenges on the way; will definitely report back with my mounting/riding experience.

DD
I used to pay a lot more attention to thread counts ‘til I read this Jan Heine blog post. Apparently there’s so many different ways to measure it, and so many variables, that it’s almost not worth using it to compare tires from different manufacturers:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/tpi-...e-performance/
Old 06-14-20, 10:49 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Get a tire jack for installing them https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AYML7K...osi&th=1&psc=1
I find it easy though a little annoying to get the first side on but the tire jack makes the second side even easier. Once seated and inflated after about 50 miles I don't even need tire levers to take them off. Also like the ride quality which is really nice.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 02-20-22, 10:18 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Well, I'd promised to update the thread and totally forgot! Better late than never, they say...

The first set of Challenge Elites didn't get much mileage; I had a mechanical which locked up my rear wheel and was the direct cause of this:

I didn't notice it right away, and ended up completing my 30-mile out and back ride with it this way. Of course, once I discovered the extent of the damage at home, the tire was immediately retired. I like my tires matchy-matchy, so I removed the front and put it away for an emergency spare (still have it in storage these days). These were mounted on modern-ish Mavic MA3s with machined sidewalls, and went on fairly easily, and measured out almost exactly to the 23mm advertised on the sidewalls. Not enough mileage to make an honest assessment, however.

My next foray was with a pair of Challenge Stradas, 25s that measured more like 23s and they took me through a couple 60-mile gravel rides before I used them in anger during Cino 2021. Zero flats, but I did get a decent-sized cut somewhere along the way:

These went onto the same rims (in fact, the same wheelset), and were a bit tougher to mount; I was happy I didn't have to deal with any flats, to be honest, as I figured they'd be a bit of a bear to remove for repairs. I kept riding them in spite of the cut, and they're currently still on the Casati's wheelset. Off or on road, I was impressed with the ride, even tho they were a bit smaller in circumference than advertised. The treads seem very long-lasting, fairly puncture-resistant, and they roll smooth at 120psi.

I decided to pick up a new set of Elites in the past couple weeks from an Ebay seller who's moving them at about $45 per tire. I've just gone over 200 miles on the back tire and 50 on the front after today's ride around the Valley of the Sun. Unfortunately, I picked up a bit of a thorn and got a slow puncture in the back tire (was all set to report they feel extremely puncture-resistant until this occurred within 2 miles of home). Still and all, they're proving to be every bit as hard-wearing as the Stradas, the odd thorn-puncture notwithstanding. They roll smoothly, are very confidence-inspiring on quick turn-in - I like them. However! This pair is mounted on a 90s-era pair of Campagnolo Omega rims and they were an absolute bear to mount. In fact, I damaged two tubes wrestling these things onto both front and rear - what a PITA! Hopefully they've stretched a bit and getting the rear flat fixed will be a bit easier when I tackle it tomorrow...

The rear tire from today's ride, within an hour of picking up the puncture:

Anyhoo, between Vittoria Open Corsas and Challenge Elites/Stradas, I think I've found my happy place when it comes to modern gumwall clinchers.

DD