Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 06-11-20, 03:18 PM
  #8876  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,819

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla View Post
All cleaned, refurbished & advertised for sale today. I think it's a 1987 but, not completely sure. It's a Centurion Master with Shimano 600 groupset.




Definitely an '87, and a sweet one at that.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 06-11-20, 03:21 PM
  #8877  
madpogue 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 4,743
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 437 Posts
^^^^^ Yup, an '87. The "7E" in the serial number indicates an early March 1987 build. And agreed, it's an exemplary copy, right down to the bronze-y finish chainrings. Someone's going to be a very happy new member of the Ironman Army.

Re top506 's reboot, if the original paint scheme is Miami Vice, the new one must be Boston Legal.....
madpogue is online now  
Old 06-11-20, 07:20 PM
  #8878  
ramzilla
Senior Member
 
ramzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fernandina Beach FL
Posts: 3,213

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 152 Posts
I got it listed on Craigslist, Facebook, & the North FL Bike club for $475. It's the highest priced bike I've ever tried to sell. Wish me luck..........................Be good. Have fun.
ramzilla is offline  
Old 06-11-20, 08:20 PM
  #8879  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,819

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
^^^^^ Yup, an '87. The "7E" in the serial number indicates an early March 1987 build.
​​​​​​
​​​​7 is indeed for '87 however I believe the E indicates April.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 06-11-20, 10:19 PM
  #8880  
madpogue 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 4,743
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 437 Posts
Far as I know, E means the fifth fortnight.
madpogue is online now  
Old 06-12-20, 05:24 AM
  #8881  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,819

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Far as I know, E means the fifth fortnight.
Right, I see, if you're using fortnight. However, I'm using Hummers each letter is a month.
A= January
B = February
D = March
E = April
G = May
H = June
K = July
L = August
M = September
N = October
P = November
S = December
It's a slight variation on tmars outstanding work on centurion serial number codes.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 06-12-20, 07:33 AM
  #8882  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,994
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 296 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla View Post
All cleaned, refurbished & advertised for sale today. I think it's a 1987 but, not completely sure. It's a Centurion Master with Shimano 600 groupset.



Here's a question. I've thought about putting some kind of housing/tubing inside the under BB cable guides to prevent the cable from wearing down the paint/cable guide. Has anyone tried this before?
seypat is offline  
Old 06-12-20, 07:38 AM
  #8883  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,819

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
Here's a question. I've thought about putting some kind of housing/tubing inside the under BB cable guides to prevent the cable from wearing down the paint/cable guide. Has anyone tried this before?
Yep, yep. I do it to all my bikes. I use the inner cable housing tubes. Works but some times you have to use glue to keep them in Place.
First thing I thought of when I saw the pristine BB shell cable guide pic.
texaspandj is offline  
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 06-12-20, 07:54 AM
  #8884  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,994
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 296 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
Yep, yep. I do it to all my bikes. I use the inner cable housing tubes. Works but some times you have to use glue to keep them in Place.
First thing I thought of when I saw the pristine BB shell cable guide pic.
Good to know.
seypat is offline  
Old 06-12-20, 08:01 AM
  #8885  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,819

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 210 Posts
Here is something different.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bi...139779917.html
texaspandj is offline  
Old 06-12-20, 09:39 AM
  #8886  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,819

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by top506 View Post
I have been Ironman-less since my '88 and '89 Experts went South to fine new homes in October. I DID have this nasty '87 MV out in the barn at the far end of the project queue:
















I decided to do something about it:



Two weeks and $50 later







For the price I don't mind doing a little clean-up work.




Final assembly in the secret underground workshop.




And ready for a test ride!
This project was a lot of firsts for me: first compact crank, first Doubletap system, first outboard bearing BB, first bladed spokes.

Top
Oh that Is NICE.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 06-12-20, 01:05 PM
  #8887  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,365

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3611 Post(s)
Liked 1,136 Times in 754 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
Yep, yep. I do it to all my bikes. I use the inner cable housing tubes. Works but some times you have to use glue to keep them in Place.
First thing I thought of when I saw the pristine BB shell cable guide pic.
Reminds me, I've been intending to do that next time I replace the cables. I do use those cable liners on my Univega, which has a convoluted brazed on metal guides to direct the brake cables around the seat cluster toward the rear cantilever brake. But I want to put 'em in the guides for the Ironman and Trekenstein too. Trek's original stamped sheet metal cable guides don't reliably hold the cables and I've frayed cables a couple of times before noticing when shifting became balky.

I remember trying to find those cable liners a couplafew years ago online and had no idea what they were called. So I went to the LBS, and within 10 seconds of trying to describe them the shop manager fished one out of a drawer and gave it to me. They've done a lot of stuff like that -- just giving away doodads, or charging little or nothing for quick minor adjustments or repairs.

Which is one of many reasons I try to buy replaceable stuff like tubes, lubes, etc., from that LBS whenever possible. I visited a couple of times during the pandemic shutdown (semi-shutdown for some "essential" businesses, which limited customers to only 2 or 3 at a time, and I always wore a mask) just to buy a few doodads that I didn't really need.
canklecat is offline  
Old 06-12-20, 01:08 PM
  #8888  
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!
 
top506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The other Maine, north of RT 2
Posts: 4,787

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 92 Times in 58 Posts
You can always pull them out of old V-brake noodles.

Top
__________________
You know it's going to be a good day when the stem and seatpost come right out.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
top506 is offline  
Old 06-12-20, 03:23 PM
  #8889  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,819

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Reminds me, I've been intending to do that next time I replace the cables. I do use those cable liners on my Univega, which has a convoluted brazed on metal guides to direct the brake cables around the seat cluster toward the rear cantilever brake. But I want to put 'em in the guides for the Ironman and Trekenstein too. Trek's original stamped sheet metal cable guides don't reliably hold the cables and I've frayed cables a couple of times before noticing when shifting became balky.

I remember trying to find those cable liners a couplafew years ago online and had no idea what they were called. So I went to the LBS, and within 10 seconds of trying to describe them the shop manager fished one out of a drawer and gave it to me. They've done a lot of stuff like that -- just giving away doodads, or charging little or nothing for quick minor adjustments or repairs.

Which is one of many reasons I try to buy replaceable stuff like tubes, lubes, etc., from that LBS whenever possible. I visited a couple of times during the pandemic shutdown (semi-shutdown for some "essential" businesses, which limited customers to only 2 or 3 at a time, and I always wore a mask) just to buy a few doodads that I didn't really need.
Yeah , like top I just pull them out of unused gear cable housing (it ain't easy, you actually cut it out BTW). But , IRONically, I had already cut two correct size pieces for you C-Cat to go with the groupset I still have for you. That's when I thought you were gonna install that groupset on your Ironman.

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-12-20 at 06:23 PM.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 06-12-20, 04:31 PM
  #8890  
madpogue 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 4,743
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 437 Posts
That skinny cable coating stuff commonly appears in the unshrouded sections of cables on a lot of MTBs. I was able to find it in bulk at my LBS.
madpogue is online now  
Old 06-12-20, 07:42 PM
  #8891  
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,914

Bikes: Lots. Just...lots.

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
That skinny cable coating stuff commonly appears in the unshrouded sections of cables on a lot of MTBs. I was able to find it in bulk at my LBS.
Yep, comes in two sizes, gray (small) and white (large). I use it on every build umless the liner won’t fit into a BB tube.
__________________
Hard at work in the Secret Underground Laboratory...
rccardr is offline  
Old 06-12-20, 08:34 PM
  #8892  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,819

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 210 Posts
So here's the follow up to my thanking Seypat story however, I'll have to start at the beginning.
I've had 4 bikes come through my side business bike repair. 3 wsllmsrt specials and a Carbon specialized road bike. The wsllmsrt bikes fit on my cheap repair stand well enough but Not the specialized. The owner repeated what my wife said that the LBS tune-up service was 2 months out! She said she had just ridden 38 miles (in my head I was thinking, on that bike with the brakes rubbing?). Anyways she said she's gonna tell her friends about our place.
So now I'm thinking, I need a better repair stand, one that won't make me nervous. So I start compare shopping. I really didn't want to spend a lot of money but I didn't want a home stand either. So I finally find one that I think will be perfect and I like but it's pricey, for me anyway. But lo and behold a used one pops up on thebay over a hundred dollars cheaper than a new one. I was still on the fence when the ups man drives up to my place of business. My son had told me to look out for a box that he was sending me for father's day. But the ups driver had an envelope. I open it and it's from seypat .
Im not comfortable revealing what he sent me because that's his decision to tell or not but what it did more than anything, was inspire even more confidence in myself. Enough to pull the trigger on the repair stand that is perfect for me and my main business and side business.
So long story longer, Patrick and Doc in a weird way bought this for me...well them and my first music gig in over 3 months!
So thanks Seypat and rccardr.


Last edited by texaspandj; 06-12-20 at 09:14 PM.
texaspandj is offline  
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 06-12-20, 09:23 PM
  #8893  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,994
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 296 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
So here's the follow up to my thanking Seypat story however, I'll have to start at the beginning.
I've had 4 bikes come through my side business bike repair. 3 wsllmsrt specials and a Carbon specialized road bike. The wsllmsrt bikes fit on my cheap repair stand well enough but Not the specialized. The owner repeated what my wife said that the LBS tune-up service was 2 months out! She said she had just ridden 38 miles (in my head I was thinking, on that bike with the brakes rubbing?). Anyways she said she's gonna tell her friends about our place.
So now I'm thinking, I need a better repair stand, one that won't make me nervous. So I start compare shopping. I really didn't want to spend a lot of money but I didn't want a home stand either. So I finally find one that I think will be perfect and I like but it's pricey, for me anyway. But lo and behold a used one pops up on thebay over a hundred dollars cheaper than a new one. I was still on the fence when the ups man drives up to my place of business. My son had told me to look out for a box that he was sending me for father's day. But the ups driver had an envelope. I open it and it's from seypat .
Im not comfortable revealing what he sent me because that's his decision to tell or not but what it did more than anything, was inspire even more confidence in myself. Enough to pull the trigger on the repair stand that is perfect for me and my main business and side business.
So long story longer, Patrick and Doc in a weird way bought this for me...well them and my first music gig in over 3 months!
So thanks Seypat and rccardr.

Good to see some early success. 2 months lead time at the LBS? When word gets around about your services, you be busier than a (fill in with your favorite busy saying)!
seypat is offline  
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-13-20, 11:16 AM
  #8894  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 13,799

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6181 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 348 Posts
Nice score.
​​​​​The nicest stand I ever used was the race stand at Spagettilegs' house. I already had a PCS 10 though, so that's what I continue using.

Will you feel the need to get insurance, or a lawyer on retainer? Or a disclaimer or what? You ARE in the land of litigation. You don't want to walk into it too lightly, IMO.
__________________
Well look what the cat dragged in. Such a fine addition to the thread





seedsbelize is offline  
Old 06-13-20, 12:34 PM
  #8895  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,819

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
Nice score.
​​​​​The nicest stand I ever used was the race stand at Spagettilegs' house. I already had a PCS 10 though, so that's what I continue using.

Will you feel the need to get insurance, or a lawyer on retainer? Or a disclaimer or what? You ARE in the land of litigation. You don't want to walk into it too lightly, IMO.
My main line of business is punching, kicking, grappling and general kicking ass or getting you're ass kicked, where bloody noses and black eyes are the norm .I already have insurance.
​​​​​​Perhaps it's something I should look into however in the meantime I'm keeping it light ....like life.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 11:10 AM
  #8896  
xiaoman1 
Slightly Mental
 
xiaoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Weird Coast City of the Angels
Posts: 2,979

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
Which is why I never charged labor.
Great strategy
Or as some might say "Stra tee ger ee".
Best, Ben
xiaoman1 is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 03:31 PM
  #8897  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,819

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
My girl suggested it.....
100 Sat
100 Sun
25 Tues
60 Sat (hills)
25 Tues
53 Sat (hills)
100 Sun.(recovery century)....

Lotta Margaritas
You keep posting that kinda of mileage no one will want to ride the HNH with you.....or be able to.
​​
texaspandj is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 09:54 PM
  #8898  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,365

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3611 Post(s)
Liked 1,136 Times in 754 Posts
I managed 29 miles Friday, slept most of Saturday, 51 miles Sunday. Hardest part this month has been heat adaptation. Gets harder every summer.

Swapped the '89 Ironman from the shorty 90mm stem I got from RobbieTunes a year or so ago, back to a longer stem -- 110mm Salsa with four-bolt open clamp. I'd already been using the Ironman's original SR stem on my Univega for more than a year, after switching that Univega from riser to albatross handlebar. With the swept bar I needed the longer stem.

The 110mm stem feels more stable on fast curves on rippled pavement. But my neck is gonna need more physical therapy to handle more than 50-75 miles. I've slacked off my home PT work the past few weeks. I need to get back to that. It was helping.
canklecat is offline  
Old 06-15-20, 05:30 AM
  #8899  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,819

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 210 Posts
A week or so ago the temp in Cen-Tex were above normal but since then they've come back down however the humidity has been below normal. Big difference between hot and humid and hot and dry. Generally it's hot and humid in Cen-Tex.
I finally rode with my cycling buddy yesterday. It was fun. He complained he hadn't ridden in 2 weeks and asked if I was still gonna ride the HNH. I said yes.
I told him how RT was already riding 100 milers and how that distance seemed daunting to us, at least at this point but fortunately we'll be acclimated to the heat... something that can't be discounted.
One of the things we discussed was discipline, and being lazy in relation to working out... I gave him my theory of I don't believe those words should ever be used in that context. I prefer instead the word motivation, or lack of. He in turn used the word meaningful. Some motivators as I see it, are girls, money, ego, pack mentality, and the list goes on. So when RT post those numbers it motivates me. 50+ miles for me yesterday and it was Hot.
My cycling buddy is basically my height 5'6" but weighs much less at 160 and spins effortlessly. At the tail end of our ride yesterday he decided to push it a little. So I got in his wake and smiled, literally smiled for a mile and a half. It's such a pleasure to be drafting behind someone who has such a smooth pedaling stroke and conveys enough confidence for you to draft really close ifin u ont to.

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-15-20 at 06:56 AM.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 06-15-20, 05:48 AM
  #8900  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,819

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 210 Posts
You ever have a bike that looks perfect rides perfect but decide to make s few changes to it? Everybody raised their hand. It happened to me a couple of weeks ago. After putting on some black walled tires (courtesy of Doc) on my Carbon Ironman, I decided the bike needed more color. So I put pink cable housing on it and immediately realized why I previously used black cable housing. It actually initially had pink housing and I Did not like it so changed it to black and it was So much better.... but I forgot I had did that. Spent time after 10 pm changing back to black. Sometimes aging sucks.

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-15-20 at 05:57 AM.
texaspandj is offline  
Likes For texaspandj:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.