Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Jones H Bar Loop Pics & Feedback Requested

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-20-20, 07:29 PM
cango
cango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Have a straight flat bar on my bike right now with grip shifter. My hands go numbs so I am constantly shaking them out.

I am swapping it out for a Jones H Loop bar with triggers shifters.

Would love to see some pics and get feedback on it as it seems to get rave reviews.
Old 06-20-20, 07:42 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
My wife has it and isn't a big fan. I will take some pics.

cango

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 06-21-20 at 09:45 AM. Reason: added pics
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-21-20, 08:28 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I considered those bars for a build but remember worrying about how heavy they are.

Soma and Velo Orange makes some nice swept bars that are lighter and cheaper than the H loop.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...?category=1678
Old 06-21-20, 08:49 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I went from a drop bar to a flat bar due to back issues in the early 2000's. I could never find a way to ease the numbness that would set in not that long into a ride. In 2006 I gradually went back to drop bars and since then my hands do not actually go numb, they do tingle somewhat if I am down in the drops for an extended time, That eases with change of position or when I get off the bike for snack or stretch break. For me, the drop bars just give me more and better positions to be in. I ride only ride road bikes with one set up for gravel, mup's an light trail riding. Probably 95% of my riding is pavement. I will likely never use anything other than compact drop bars again.
Old 06-21-20, 09:41 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Pop N Wood These are indeed very heavy. They do sell lighter versions. I think they even have a carbon version. But she wanted to try the riser option, which is only available in depleted uranium.

My wife doesn't like them, but frankly I don't think she would be comfortable on anything at this point (we've tried lots of options, and this came the closest), because the bike frame is too big (she insisted she wanted it -- it is a size large Sirrus carbon comp. She is about 5'8").

We found out the hard way that they really are serious about angling the thing down about 15° from horizontal.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 06-21-20 at 09:44 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-21-20, 09:43 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by delbiker1
I will likely never use anything other than compact drop bars again.
I'm a huge fan of those as well. They seem to make a difference all out of proportion to the seemingly minor changes in geometry relative to (my uncompact) regular drop bars.
Old 06-21-20, 09:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,580 Posts
I did a short test ride on Jones bars and didn't like them pretty instantly. Too swept back for my tastes. I like the Surly Moloko or VO Crazy Bars and I really like the Koga Denham bars. Just the right amount of sweep back and with some Ergon GC1 grips, they are the cats pajamas and the bee knees all in one.

Here is something to check out.
https://whatbars.com
Old 06-21-20, 11:00 PM
cango
cango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

I am not a huge fan of drop bars but do like the multiple hand positions which is why I was looking at these. I have bar extensions on my handlebar now which is roughly equivalent to being on the hoods. I do this to give my hands a break from the straight bar.

I thought about going to the drop bars but it would require going a different direction from the shifters/brake levers I just bought. My bike was originally set up as a hybrid with mountain components and was staying with that theme but I guess could be swung over to the road.
Old 06-22-20, 04:51 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Like 'em. Ridden both the Crazy Bars and Loops (and also butterflies). Like the Jones more. I found the bullhorns on the Crazy Bars to be the wrong shape, the angled up section section is too short and the horizontal bit too long.
You need to fiddle with the stem length with swept bars. If the stem is too short then the end of the bars will be behind the steerer axis which can feel weird on some bikes. But then too long and you can't reach the front portions of the bars.
I find swept bars to be better with Ergon GC1 grips. Pretty well I ride on the end of the bars because it's comfortable. I'll only use the other positions for headwinds.
Old 06-22-20, 07:26 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
I have only had a test ride on H bars once but it seemed good for what it was. I think it would make a lot of sense for a bike that sees some difficult single track stuff and also a lot of cruising on roads and easy trails.

I don’t do any single track stuff so my vintage MTB now sports a set of swept back bars. It’s the Sunlite knockoff of the Albatross. The previous comment is correct, you need to consider stem length and probably go a bit longer on the stem with swept bars. I actually spend the majority of the time in the saddle with my hands on some part of the forward bend, climb out of the saddle with my hands centered over the brake lever clamp and only use the grips for braking.

Otto