Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old School Brake Pad Replacements?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-20, 04:38 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts

Has anyone here found THESE to be worthy? The reviews on Amazon are lukewarm at best.

Life is funny. No matter how much you think you know, there is always something there that you do not know. I thought I knew all there was to know about old bikes and stuff, but I am humbled here every day. My goal is to keep this bike authentic. It has the original Campagnolo pads and pad-holders, but they are 35 years old at least. I just picked up the bike today, and its pouring out right now, so no test ride. The pads and everything else on the bike are nice, but anything rubber that is this old is suspect from me.

Any advice?

Cheers?

Boos and hisses?

I'm up for any of it. Hit me with your best shot!

Old 06-30-20, 04:43 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
You can't go wrong with KOOL-STOP

Kool Stop International - High Performance Bicycle Brake Pads Since 1977
Likes For branko_76:
Old 06-30-20, 04:47 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Campagnolo still sells the original replacement pads for these. I'll let you do the google search. I personally prefer the original genuine Campagnolo pads in the original flavor Record and Super Record brakes. They have the best control. Just my opinion....

Koolstop also makes a replacement, which obviously you've figured out. Those are fine. I'd recommend the black over the red, for this particular instance. Salmons and Records tend to howl, and you can't toe them in.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 06-30-20 at 05:02 PM.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 06-30-20, 06:24 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
^^^^^ And from a quick scan of the reviews on the above link, a lot of the negatives are based on noise.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 06-30-20, 07:38 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^^ And from a quick scan of the reviews on the above link, a lot of the negatives are based on noise.
I have KOOL-STOP pads on four bikes. Three with aluminum rims....no noise. One with steel rims....some noise, but when I eliminated the "toe-in", the noise diminished. The noise also seemed to decrease after some time riding.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 06-30-20, 10:08 PM
73StellaSX76

Bikes: 2016 SOMA DCD, 2014 Niner RLT9, 2008 Ibis Silk SL, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 1973 Stella SX76

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
I used salmon Kool Stops for 3-4 years on old rims with good braking and no squeal. After I fitted new rims the same pads created loud squealing. I removed the pads and made three saw cuts across the face of the pads, copying the grooves of the original black Campy pads. I made the cuts with a hack saw and only about 2mm deep. Without changing much else this quietened the squeal. I can’t guarantee this fixes all squeals but I don’t see a downside so if it doesn’t work for you then nothing lost. I prefer the salmon over black as I like the feel better, they seem to resist embedding rim material better, and they work better in the wet.

i suspect the cross cuts, which creates multiple shorter effective blocks, results in shifting sympathetic frequencies enough to eliminate the unwanted vibrations. YMMV.
Old 06-30-20, 10:16 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I tried both the salmon and black Kool Stops on my RRA (with Campy NR brakes) and could not get rid of the brake squeal. I got close with the black pads. I bought a set of the new Campy replacements and end of problem. These seem to stop just as well as either of the Kool Stops did.

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...06q66mogbrhs10

I never tried making cuts in them per the previous post, but I'm not looking back. Very satisfied with the Campy blocks. Sold both sets of the Kool Stops. I do run Kool Stop Cross pads on my Trek in Tektro brakes, which I used to commute on, and like those a lot as well. I had those on the Raleigh, but repurposed them after being fed enough sh*t about them on that bike and that brakeset.
Likes For Pars:
Old 07-01-20, 03:35 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 1,386 Times in 758 Posts
My Griffon has SunTour Superbe brakes with Kool-Stop reproduction pads. They are applied against Ambrosio Montreal Durex anodized rims. The combination has always squealed. Yesterday I decided to see what I could do to improve things:
  • I made sure there was no play in the calipers
  • I hit the braking surface on the rims with a Scotch Brite pad
  • I hit the pad surfaces with a rasp
Went for a ride this morning. The front seemed no better, but the rear was quiet. "That's promising. I'll take another run at the front brake later." A few blocks later I noticed that the rear wheel wasn't square in the dropouts. I stopped and fixed that. The squeal on the rear brake returned. Oh well... At least it saved me messing around with the front brake after my ride.

Unfortunately for the Superbe brakes, Kool-Stop doesn't make a black pad, otherwise I'd give them a try.
Old 07-01-20, 03:53 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I put those Koolstops on my SuperRecord Medici Pro Strada and they work great. Eroica one year with Matrix rims and once with GP4. No noise.