Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

90 Percent of COVID-19 Patients Treated With Hydroxychloroquine Recover Successfully

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

90 Percent of COVID-19 Patients Treated With Hydroxychloroquine Recover Successfully

Old 06-23-20, 08:41 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 162 Posts
Bacteriophages fell out of favour because they are sensitive little buggers, expensive to produce and a little erratic. You sometimes didn't get what you needed because they all died or the wrong ones decided to breed up... so it meant there was a lot of QC and perfect conditions needed.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 06-25-20, 03:10 PM
cbhungry
Jungle lady

Bikes: gary fisher cake

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
.....but I can’t think of a native virus whose direct effects on humans are intrinsically beneficial.
Except ancient viruses as drivers of human evolution.... https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0713100911.htm

https://www.pnhp.org/

Last edited by cbhungry; 06-25-20 at 03:14 PM.
Likes For cbhungry:
Old 06-25-20, 03:22 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3927 Post(s)
Liked 1,345 Times in 752 Posts
Originally Posted by cbhungry View Post
Except ancient viruses as drivers of human evolution.... https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0713100911.htm
From the first line of the abstract

The constant battle between pathogens and their hosts has long been recognized as a key driver of evolution
Cyclists being flattened by drivers is beneficial in the long run too, because it culls the dumb ones and de-crowds the MUPs. Enjoy.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-25-20, 06:01 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2310 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
From the first line of the abstract
Cyclists being flattened by drivers is beneficial in the long run too, because it culls the dumb ones and de-crowds the MUPs. Enjoy.
It's much more than just "survival of the fittest". Viral DNA can be seen in human DNA.
Old 06-25-20, 06:22 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3927 Post(s)
Liked 1,345 Times in 752 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
It's much more than just "survival of the fittest". Viral DNA can be seen in human DNA.
8% of the genome, in fact, and that was a reductio ad absurdum analogy to point out out the ridiculousness of calling the effect of viral plagues on humans "beneficial."

Ever read "Darwin's Radio?" Great sci fi book about what HERV DNA might do if it ever got transcribed.
Old 07-03-20, 03:44 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 8651 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 690 Posts
It turns out, under certain conditions, certain patients will in fact respond to hydroxychloroquine.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/healt...udy/index.html

Young, no heart problems, and if administered early... there are indications that it may help some. The data is new, it is still being discussed and no, this is not a miracle drug like some have touted.
Old 07-03-20, 05:51 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
It turns out, under certain conditions, certain patients will in fact respond to hydroxychloroquine.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/healt...udy/index.html

Young, no heart problems, and if administered early... there are indications that it may help some. The data is new, it is still being discussed and no, this is not a miracle drug like some have touted.
Hmm,
Overall crude mortality rates were 18.1% in the entire cohort, 13.5% in the hydroxychloroquine alone group, 20.1% among those receiving hydroxychloroquine plus azithromycin, 22.4% among the azithromycin alone group, and 26.4% for neither drug
Mortality rates that high don't sound like 'young'. See my Fatality Rates in CA thread, fatality rates don't go over 10% until the 65-79 age group. Although I guess this study was conducted on patients who had already checked into a hospital, so they'll only be looking at the most sever cases across all demographics.
Old 07-04-20, 03:49 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
Hmm,

Mortality rates that high don't sound like 'young'. See my Fatality Rates in CA thread, fatality rates don't go over 10% until the 65-79 age group. Although I guess this study was conducted on patients who had already checked into a hospital, so they'll only be looking at the most sever cases across all demographics.
This was not a double blind test. The patients chosen were known to have "minimal cardiac risk factors."

I got the "young" wrong... it said patients were over 18 years of age, however...

Of 2,541 patients, with a median total hospitalization time of 6 days (IQR: 4-10 days), median age was 64 years (IQR:53-76 years), 51% male, 56% African American, with median time to follow-up of 28.5 days (IQR:3-53). Overall in-hospital mortality was 18.1% (95% CI:16.6%-19.7%); by treatment: hydroxychloroquine + azithromycin, 157/783 (20.1% [95% CI: 17.3%-23.0%]), hydroxychloroquine alone, 162/1202 (13.5% [95% CI: 11.6%-15.5%]), azithromycin alone, 33/147 (22.4% [95% CI: 16.0%-30.1%]), and neither drug, 108/409 (26.4% [95% CI: 22.2%-31.0%])​. Primary cause of mortality was respiratory failure (88%); no patient had documented torsades de pointes. From Cox regression modeling, predictors of mortality were age>65 years (HR:2.6 [95% CI:1.9-3.3]), white race (HR:1.7 [95% CI:1.4-2.1]), CKD (HR:1.7 [95%CI:1.4-2.1]), reduced O2 saturation level on admission (HR:1.5 [95%CI:1.1-2.1]), and ventilator use during admission (HR: 2.2 [95%CI:1.4-3.3]). Hydroxychloroquine provided a 66% hazard ratio reduction, and hydroxychloroquine + azithromycin 71% compared to neither treatment (p < 0.001).
This is the linked report within the CNN report.
https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S...534-8/fulltext
Old 07-04-20, 02:06 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

OK, anyways seems like reliable information, hopefully media outlets will report on it responsibly, maintaining the important caveats
Old 07-04-20, 03:06 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
OK, anyways seems like reliable information, hopefully media outlets will report on it responsibly, maintaining the important caveats
Remember, not double blind... it works on certain selected patients when administered quickly.
Old 07-04-20, 03:42 PM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jjafterdark View Post
You're a walking ad hominem, congratulations.

Out of curiosity, are you just really stupid, or are you willing to allow county and state governments to strip you of all rights by declaring a fake epidemic and pandemic with no basis in scientific evidence or reality?

Do you realize hiv is another giant hoax, herpes is a hoax, coronavirus is a hoax, sars is a hoax, etc and that none of these "viruses" has ever been isolated?

Would you be willing to inject a syringe full of aborted fetal cells and thimerasol (mercury) administered at gunpoint by federal police after you had been contact traced as someone who was within 5 feet and 11 15/16" of an inch from someone who had a false positive state for a virus that doesn't even exist, if I paid you $100?
Are you unemployed or otherwise under stress right now?
Old 07-04-20, 03:43 PM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jjafterdark View Post
You're a walking ad hominem, congratulations.

Out of curiosity, are you just really stupid, or are you willing to allow county and state governments to strip you of all rights by declaring a fake epidemic and pandemic with no basis in scientific evidence or reality?

Do you realize hiv is another giant hoax, herpes is a hoax, coronavirus is a hoax, sars is a hoax, etc and that none of these "viruses" has ever been isolated?

Would you be willing to inject a syringe full of aborted fetal cells and thimerasol (mercury) administered at gunpoint by federal police after you had been contact traced as someone who was within 5 feet and 11 15/16" of an inch from someone who had a false positive state for a virus that doesn't even exist, if I paid you $100?
Are you unemployed or otherwise under stress right now?
Likes For BadGrandma:
Old 07-28-20, 10:10 AM
genec
genec

Interesting opinion on HCL on Newsweek. https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeati...pinion-1519535

Worth a read just for the fact that it points out all the politics surrounding COVID and various treatments.

While an HCL "cocktail" may have a positive effect on some people infected with COVID, when administered early; clearly there are folks out there that fail to understand the difference between a "cure," a "positive effect" and a vaccine... the latter that is used as a preventative.
Old 07-28-20, 10:26 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Thanks for that link, super helpful. A balanced view; not by any means a 'miracle cure', but a treatment that has usefulness in certain limited circumstances.

Physicians who have been using these medications in the face of widespread skepticism have been truly heroic. They have done what the science shows is best for their patients, often at great personal risk. I myself know of two doctors who have saved the lives of hundreds of patients with these medications, but are now fighting state medical boards to save their licenses and reputations. The cases against them are completely without scientific merit.
In the future, I believe this misbegotten episode regarding hydroxychloroquine will be studied by sociologists of medicine as a classic example of how extra-scientific factors overrode clear-cut medical evidence.
Old 07-28-20, 11:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11383 Post(s)
Liked 3,020 Times in 1,681 Posts
I thought someone said the summer heat would knock down the virus. Guess I can toss my masks, because it’s been in the 90s here since I can remember.
Old 07-28-20, 11:45 AM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 17975 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 1,206 Posts
...I miss jjafterdark . Reading what he wrote here always made me feel good about myself.
Old 07-28-20, 12:13 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Don't you wish

Originally Posted by Tony P. View Post
He's moved on
Reminds me of the famous folk song, "The Cat Came Back."
Old 07-28-20, 12:17 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw View Post
Reminds me of the famous folk song, "The Cat Came Back."
I thought he was a goner.
Old 07-28-20, 01:12 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts
The cat came back.
He just couldn't stay awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

God help us all.
Old 07-29-20, 09:16 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Interesting opinion on HCL on Newsweek. https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeati...pinion-1519535

Worth a read just for the fact that it points out all the politics surrounding COVID and various treatments.

While an HCL "cocktail" may have a positive effect on some people infected with COVID, when administered early; clearly there are folks out there that fail to understand the difference between a "cure," a "positive effect" and a vaccine... the latter that is used as a preventative.
Just another bad take on HCL by someone who has all the credentials but comes off sounding like a quack.

This far into the pandemic, with double-blind, randomized, controlled clinical trials starting to be published and showing, each and every one of them so far, that hydroxychloroquine shows no benefit versus COVID-19 (I’ll discuss them shortly), let’s just say that I am flummoxed to find, in the midst of a crisis, that a seemingly respected epidemiologist is fighting for a drug that almost certainly doesn’t work based on low quality and anecdotal evidence when far higher quality evidence is becoming available and even the bulk of the observational evidence has been negative, with one notable outlier. I am even more flummoxed to find that Newsweek provided this epidemiologist a platform to promote this argument, particularly given how he based it primarily on a commentary and review that he wrote in May, which is basically ancient history as far as the evidence base for hydroxychloroquine goes.
T
hat being said, it’s amazing how much believers in acupuncture, vitamin C to treat cancer, and hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19 have in common. It’s also distressing how much like the villain in a slasher flick the drug is. No matter how many times it appears to have died, it always comes back.

Science Based Medicine

Last edited by skookum; 07-29-20 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-04-20, 08:08 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 84 Posts

'Sorry to burst the magic bubble' says Florida lawmaker of hydroxychloroquine as he battles COVID-19

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sorry-bur...180317285.html
Old 08-05-20, 10:34 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

thx for link

“Was given it the day my test came back,” Fine replied. “Sorry to burst the magic bubble.” ... "I'm over it," Fine texted FLORIDA TODAY from his Holmes Regional Medical Center hospital bed on Monday. "People should be able to use it if they want. But people should stop pretending it is some kind of magic potion as well. If they need proof, look at me."