Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Hot Sauce!

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Hot Sauce!

Old 06-29-20, 09:58 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 432 Posts
Yeah I found them dried. In that endcap of the store with all the mexican (and other) spices in clear plastic envelope-kinda bags.
Old 06-29-20, 10:57 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 4226 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 470 Posts
You should be able to grow them in SD. They are one of the easiest peppers to take care of. A sauce could probably me made with dried ones but fresh would be much better. While they dry easy I freeze them fresh which allows for sauce/salsa making.
Old 06-29-20, 11:28 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I'm not so much about the gardening. The 'land' I have available to me is a strip of dirt about 6" by 30-40 feet along the back of my townhouse patio. And I'm not gonna be potting. Or frankly even planting. Or watering. Or weeding. etc.
Old 07-01-20, 02:00 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6, and a few dust collectors

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 80 Posts
I tend to go with a sauce from the region the food is from. Cajun style or southern food gets Tabasco. I live in Tucson, so Southwest style or whatever gets Arizona Gunslinger jalapeño or habanero sauce. Asian style foods get Sriracha sauce
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 07-01-20, 02:15 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Poblano!

Likes For noisebeam:
Old 07-01-20, 03:57 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Never seen that on SoCal shelves. I assume it's made primarly from Poblano chiles?
Old 07-01-20, 04:16 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

It is actually not, but is made in Tucson since 1924
https://tucson.com/news/local/netos-...ad33a27f1.html
https://tucson.com/business/longtime...7886c4f22.html
Old 07-01-20, 07:18 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 132 Posts

waffle houses in tennessee "used" to have this
Old 07-03-20, 07:57 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor, 70's vintage Schwinn Continental and Suburban

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
I had a bottle of Dave's insanity sauce and it was so hot I used to dip a toothpick in the bottle than use that to stir my chili. Even with that it was a struggle to finish the chili. Eventually threw out the bottle.

Since then I think I burned out my taste buds. Now the limiting factor in what I put on my food isn't my mouth but burning out my digestive track. I've spiced up Thai dishes to the point where I was physically ill for days afterwards.

By the way sugar neutralizes the hotness. If you ever do blow out the inside of your mouth just dump a pack of sugar in there and let it dissolve. Sugar works to neutralize your fingers before sex as well.
Old 07-04-20, 02:05 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

OK those are two great sugar tips, I hope to be able to take advantage of both of them, very soon

Also bummer that your insides can't tolerate the heat anymore. My insides have rebelled against me so I can't enjoy rollercoasters like when I was young, I hope I still have a good long time of spicy food though!
Old 07-05-20, 06:22 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 8653 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 691 Posts
Thanks for the carrot recipe. I always get a container of those at my local store. Zanahorias! Used to go to this great little restaurant for lunch... Super Salsa... and just could not get enough of those carrots.

And Sriracha... great stuff.

I realized I have 3 go to sauces, always around... Sriracha, Tabasco Chipotle, and Franks. And of course I make or buy Pico de Gallo... with fresh ingredients from the garden, is best. Grow your own peppers! (buy onions) But peppers grow easily, and are so good fresh.
Old 07-06-20, 09:24 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I've had that chipotle-flavored tabasco (first discovered it at a Chipotle -- coincidence? OR CONSPIRACY?), that's tasty stuff
Old 07-06-20, 10:29 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 8653 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 691 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat View Post
I tend to go with a sauce from the region the food is from. Cajun style or southern food gets Tabasco. I live in Tucson, so Southwest style or whatever gets Arizona Gunslinger jalapeño or habanero sauce. Asian style foods get Sriracha sauce
Not exactly a hot sauce... but in Asian foods I also like a sweet chili sauce. Mai Ploy is my favorite. All depends on what the dish is supposed to be... or if the wife is eating it... She doesn't do "hot." We go into a Thai place, and they ask her 1-5, she tends to say "half". I go for 4... knowing I can add more from the chili sauces on the table.

I make a big pot of pinto beans from time to time... I throw in one Jalapeno, whole, with just a simple slice down the side, so all the goodness goes into the dish. When I finish cooking the beans, the first thing I do is dig out that jalapeno... it goes on my plate. (oh, and it is soooo good!) But even with just one jalapeno, from time to time my wife calls the dish "those hot pinto beans." One jalapeno, to about 10 finished cups of beans. Go figure.
Old 07-06-20, 10:43 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

It's all about built-up tolerance.

I also am the victim of profiling at Thai restaurants, where they downgrade my heat request because I'm white. I try to tell them 'no really I want a Thai 4', but it's easier to request the little chili dispenser they always have and add my own kick.

Mae Ploy sweet sweet chili sauce is delish (but yes, not very hot). Protip: mix sweet sweet chili sauce with sour cream and dip french fries. Amazeballs!
Old 07-06-20, 10:53 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2849 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 177 Posts
I tried some McIlhenny's habanero tabasco yesterday, it was indeed hotter than the regular red. Could be because I had to use less since I don't eat very hot, but I missed the special other taste of this McIlhenny brand and that sets it apart from other tabasco sauces. It had a nice throat burn though, without burning the front of the tongue too much, which I like very much in hot food. So I guess in the future I will use a drop of it next to green jalapena tabasco which is mild but great in other taste.

On the subject of too much heat for the body, the capsaicine dissolves in fat. That's why drinking milk helps and water doesn't, and that's why cream works with burrito's or just chili. I prefer a little bowl of quark on the table to regulate the burn. For the next day experience, vaseline is very effective.
Old 07-06-20, 10:57 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
I also am the victim of profiling at Thai restaurants,
Penn Jillette tells a story about going to an Indian restaurant in Wisconsin and ordering some spicy curry dish. The waitress asked him how hot he wanted it and he laughingly said something dismissive like "this is Wisconsin, do your worst!" So the waitress told the cooks and they all peered at the smartass white guy through the pass through and chuckled and pointed and then Penn knew he was in trouble. Then he was served the hottest stuff he'd ever had and he was melting and seething with pain but he felt obligated to eat the whole plate because he realized he had insulted them and he deserved to be punished.

As for myself, I smile and say something like "I want it to burn a little"... they almost always get it right.
Likes For DiabloScott: