Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Caliper brake pad extension , for vertical mounting location

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-20, 02:06 PM
MLBxx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was given an older caliper brake by a bike shop from a used bin. I needed one that fit my folding bike. It fits the frame and tire great, but the arms are a bit too long and the pads can’t engage the wheel properly.

I would try and buy another brake, but the issue is the clearance between the front mount hole and the top of the tire. The brake needs to be pretty thin on top and this was the only one that had a thin top where the arms meet. This one fits and looks pretty nice on the bike so would like to use it.

Would something like this work to extend the brake pad upwards towards the wheel rim?

I still can’t post links or images, but on amazon search for “SUHAPPY Bicycle V Brake Extension”

It looks like it would do exactly what I need as it would vertically raise the brake pads so they’d be in line with the wheel.

Problem is shipping takes forever, from China I’m assuming. Are there any other products like this available? Is there a proper term for what I need to help search online?
Old 07-07-20, 03:04 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 2,056 Posts
File the slots longer or throw these in upside down.

https://bdopcycling.com/product/bdop...s-pair-silver/
Old 07-07-20, 03:10 PM
MLBxx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
File the slots longer or throw these in upside down.
Ahh, that might work. Offset brake pad. I’ll have to measure but I feel like I need 3/4”, may not be enough.
Old 07-07-20, 04:46 PM
MLBxx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually I only need about 0.25-0.35 inches.

Filing won’t work since the mount slot is offset from the arm and ends.

A small extension would be perfect.

Doss anyone have any other offset brake pads or holders that are a bit cheaper? I’m almost buying a new brake at $30.
Old 07-07-20, 05:42 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 2,056 Posts
CAn't speak for the quality of these. I've been using the Bdop for years on a 27-700 conversion without issue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AICAN-ALUMI...MAAOSwR6le576s
Old 07-08-20, 01:10 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Sounds like you are working to get a bunch of incompatible parts to work together. It may be possible, but it would be easy to avoid...

First, if you have so little clearance between the top of the tire and bottom of the brake, your tires are too big. Even if you manage to find an oddball brake that gives you a few mm of clearance, a rock or piece of debris is likely to get jammed in there when riding and could cause a crash.

You said the brakes need another 3/4 of an inch adjustment? That's not a bit, that's a LOT. You would be also messing with the leverage of the brake caliper by so drastically changing the distance between the pad and the pivot. In this scenario, your brakes might have sufficient stopping power, but will have little rim clearance and probably feel mushy.

A set of shorter reach brakes and a tire that is 2 mm smaller is likely the best solution.
Old 07-08-20, 01:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You were given one by your LBS? Don't they have a better fitting one even though you'd have to buy it ,
& perhaps special order something, from their whole sale suppliers?

a couple more posts and you can send a picture, in the meantime look for a web picture you can link to..

Old 07-09-20, 10:34 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Are you trying to lengthen the brake reach or shorten it?

Cheers