Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Knackered at hilltops

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Knackered at hilltops

Old 07-08-20, 03:34 PM
Altlandisto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Knackered at hilltops

Hey folks
Any tips for how to accelerate when you've just done a big ascent and you're feeling it?
Old 07-08-20, 03:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Climb, descend, repeat.

Three times a week or more.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-08-20, 03:45 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Climb, descend, repeat.

Three times a week or more.
Literally this; you just have to get fit enough that a solid climb doesn't leave you knackered.

Don't be Quintana.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-08-20, 03:54 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10142 Post(s)
Liked 5,831 Times in 3,139 Posts
1. As above and add a little sprint at the top of each repeat if you want.
2. Ride tactically and reserve what you'll need at the top.
3. HTFU.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-08-20, 03:55 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Keep doing it over and over and over until you no longer would give your last kidney to avoid that climb.
Old 07-08-20, 04:14 PM
Altlandisto

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very staunch and motivational replies. Lol.
Just fitness then? No technique?
I've been cycling regularly for 3 months. I can see from local Strava groups that my weekly elevation gain is usually way above most of the other cyclists. Ive started to get the odd 'top 10' on segments so I reckon my fitness ain't too bad. Usually far from the top 10 on the hills though! I really do enjoy the hills, but not quite there yet. I am a big lad though. 6ft2/188cm. 90kg/14 stone. Thoughts?
Old 07-08-20, 04:19 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
How long are these hills? Are they 30 minute grinders? Or 2 minute rollers? Or something in between?
Old 07-08-20, 04:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Altlandisto
I've been cycling regularly for 3 months. I can see from local Strava groups that my weekly elevation gain is usually way above most of the other cyclists. Ive started to get the odd 'top 10' on segments so I reckon my fitness ain't too bad. Usually far from the top 10 on the hills though! I really do enjoy the hills, but not quite there yet. I am a big lad though. 6ft2/188cm. 90kg/14 stone. Thoughts?
Sadly, the one exercise that you can do that makes you better at climbing is......climbing.

BTW - top 10s on Strava? I'd only see those if I left the Garmin on while driving home with the bike in the trunk! SO many riders around here that my rankings on any segment are always at least 4 digits.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-08-20, 04:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
................. Thoughts?
Mainly just #2 of what MoAlpha said :
2. Ride tactically and reserve what you'll need at the top.
You only are able to go max effort for a short time. That'll increase some the more often you ride. So you have to get some experience to know how much time you can put out a max or near max effort. And that comes from experience. Don't start off hard on a long hill because you won't have any energy left before getting to the top.

Certain types of training while riding will speed up the process some. Look up interval training for cycling. However if you have a lot of hills on your route already you are sorta doing the things interval training want's already.

You can also get a coach. There are some online coaches with blogs you can read and services for hire.

But in the end, everything is going to boil down to simply riding more miles and riding often.
Old 07-08-20, 04:28 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 362 Posts
There are all sorts of training advice to get stronger. But in the moment, not feeling “knackered” is about appropriate pacing and gearing for the fitness you have. Long climbs start a bit slower than you think you can maintain, and then build speed and effort gradually as you get farther up the climb.

Also, the climb’s not over until you reach race pace again over the top. So manage your effort so you can ride strong over the top and get back up to speed.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-08-20, 04:29 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I am a big lad though. 6ft2/188cm. 90kg/14 stone. Thoughts?
W = m g h

W = work (potential energy)
m = 90 kg + mass of bike, etc.
h = height of the hill

The amount of work you need to do to overcome gravity is directly proportional to your mass. Lighter people need to do less work to get to the top of the hill.

(There is also a component that is a function of friction, but this part dominates on the climbs.)

If you can lose weight without destroying muscle mass, you will climb easier and faster.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 07-08-20, 04:45 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
If you can accelerate when you get to the top of the hill you weren't trying hard enough to climb it. Ideally your lungs should be burning, legs like jelly and you should be seriously contemplating selling the bike.
Likes For znomit:
Old 07-08-20, 04:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
If you can accelerate when you get to the top of the hill you weren't trying hard enough to climb it. Ideally your lungs should be burning, legs like jelly and you should be seriously contemplating selling the bike.
Alternatively - as close to throwing up as you can get without actually throwing up.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-08-20, 04:49 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Alternatively - as close to throwing up as you can get without actually throwing up.
Don't hold back. Vomit weighs quite a bit so if you repeat the climb immediately after throwing up you should be faster.
Likes For znomit:
Old 07-08-20, 04:51 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
As the group rides happily off into the distance leaving me to struggle home alone.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 07-08-20, 04:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
In a race or group ride, the time honored tactic for big guys is to drill it to the base of the climb. You want to be at the front, or ideally off the front, as it goes up. Fade backwards through the group and pray that you reach the top before you are spit out the back.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-08-20, 05:05 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
There is a bit of "getting used to climbing" that isn't just about fitness. But it is easier, the fitter you are. Also, as the others have suggested, it's really not something that can be replicated by any means other than just "Ride up hills."

Here's an article I just read recently about Edwig van Hooydonck, the Belgian cyclist who won the Tour of Flanders twice by, well;

In the winter of 1988, Van Hooydonck devised an austere training routine. He would drive to the Geraardsbergen house of Superconfex directeur sportif Hilaire Van der Schueren and do five laps of the Muur-Bosberg race finale. It was akin to a footballer practising a swerving free kick a hundred times on the training ground. It meant that he knew every cobble by rote and that these bergs held no fear. On the morning of the Ronde, Van Hooydonck felt terrible. It was a blessing in disguise. “Normally when you feel good, you do stupid things, you attack. I was waiting. Then after 120 kilometres, the cold and rain started. I felt I was going better and better with every kilometre.”

He slipped into a sodden leading group of seven before the Muur. “I wanted to attack there, but Jan Raas told me ‘wait till the Bosberg.’ Going up the Muur felt easy, I was climbing it at 80 per cent. So while the other riders were hurting, I had everything under control.”

He joined up with Dag Otto Lauritzen (7-Eleven) and the pair held a marginal lead onto the race’s final test, the Bosberg. His training kicked in; he had memorised the telegraph pole from which he could attack and keep his speed till the top. Face splattered with dirt, Van Hooydonck raced away through the murk, thrashing the pedals, his head bobbing around like Paula Radcliffe’s. The long-limbed Belgian was no stylist, but it had the desired effect.
Old 07-08-20, 05:15 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
I'm about your size. I've been riding with clubs for decades. I have never been near the front on any climbs when good climbers are there. I have seen men around 200 pounds who become good climbers but it's rare. I'm not trying to discourage you, just saying if you're kicking ass on smaller climbers after only riding a short time, then you may be exceptional.
If you want to have something left to sprint the top of a climb or charge back to the group then you will have to hold something in reserve. You will figure out the nuances of this over time. I.m sure your body is still adjusting to the stress of cycling and you may improve for years.
Old 07-08-20, 05:16 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
In a race or group ride, the time honored tactic for big guys is to drill it to the base of the climb. You want to be at the front, or ideally off the front, as it goes up. Fade backwards through the group and pray that you reach the top before you are spit out the back.
Story of my life.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-08-20, 05:18 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Also alternate between seated climbing and standing out of the saddle. Works different muscle groups and it really worked for me in the “formative” years of cycling.
Likes For Germanrazor:
Old 07-08-20, 05:45 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,071 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
There are all sorts of training advice to get stronger. But in the moment, not feeling “knackered” is about appropriate pacing and gearing for the fitness you have. Long climbs start a bit slower than you think you can maintain, and then build speed and effort gradually as you get farther up the climb.

Also, the climb’s not over until you reach race pace again over the top. So manage your effort so you can ride strong over the top and get back up to speed.
This.

There is no feeling better than demoralizing your compatriots with the "thunk" of an upshift, when you left something in the tank and they didn't.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 07-08-20, 06:16 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I’ve survived a lot of climbs using this technique.

Unfortunately, the longer the climb the less well it works.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 07-08-20, 06:21 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
Attack the steep bits...

Spin up everything else.

And definitely accelerate over the crest...get up to speed and THEN let the hill do the work.
If you coast after you crest, you're missing out.
Old 07-08-20, 06:39 PM
woodcraft

Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I go a little conservative at first, using any reserves in the upper stretch,

then kind of fool myself into thinking that the top is actually a ways down the backside where the speed picks back up.
Old 07-08-20, 07:08 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Hey folks
Any tips for how to accelerate when you've just done a big ascent and you're feeling it?
Try riding the last third of the climb harder than the first.
Likes For rubiksoval:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.