Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Simple "uglify" your bike project

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Simple "uglify" your bike project

Old 07-08-20, 11:37 PM
cubewheels

Bikes: A really old BMX bike and a 2020 Phantom 20" hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes View Post
If you do more, post pictures. Of course only do it if you want to. It's a great idea. Very creative.
No trouble at all! I did find left over paints in the house. One that is a shade of yellow and another that is red. I took some of the yellow paint in a jar and slowly added the red paint, alternately mixing and adding tiny bits of red paint until achieving the desired "rust orange" color.

This time I used 1 part paint and 2 parts kerosene to the rust paint mixture.

Application of the paint is different from the previous. Dab the paint brush (wet with paint) on the bike and just let the very thin paint run down. Select a good starting point like the welds on the frame. This is the best way to apply the rust color paint to make it look kinda like you left your bike outside the house for more than one year.

Previously, with the thinner white paint to make the bike look dirty, I let the paint dry a bit for two minutes on the bike before brushing them with gentle strokes to make it appear dusty, abraded, and faded and to remove the gloss.

The BEST part of this hack is that it is weatherproof and the highly diluted paints used can be easily removed with cloth dipped in kerosene and the frame's original gloss restored! I cannot guarantee this though, who knows in one month, the paint may no longer be removable and sticks permanently! One thing for sure though, the paint that is thinned a lot with kerosene will damage the vinyl stickers on your bike... You have been warned. Maybe you can remove the stickers first and try to store them using those special papers that doesn't stick to stickers (don't know what it's called, It's the same paper you peel from brand new stickers before applying them).

So here it is. My new rust bucket! The yellow BMX bike behind it is my 15 year old beater bike. The stem is about to fail so I've been using it a lot less. Which one looks older now??
Likes For cubewheels:
Old 07-08-20, 11:41 PM
cubewheels

Reposting pic of bike before uglify....

Old 07-08-20, 11:54 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
​​​​​​I just want him to keep posting. People from different parts of the world posting about how and what they ride is what general cycling should be about.
Most of the rides here are stock MTBs 26 to 29". Trinx and Foxter brand. Stock MTB meaning, still using the all-terrain tires. Few managed to switch to road or gravel tires (hybrid conversion). It matters because these MTBs are mostly used for commute around the city where road tires are better

2nd most popular type are folding bikes. Trinx and Dahon brands. Followed by road and BMX bikes and finally, the kid's 20" MTBs. Mostly being used for commuting. Majority of users of kid's 20" MTBs are women. Even saw women riding kid's 20" fat bikes! Mini velos with 20" tires are exceptionally rare.

Group rides are very often multiple bike types. MTB, Folding, and road bikes.

$1000+ bikes are exceedingly rare. Only the rich owns them. Very rarely see them in the city because the rich will only use them in trails or the countryside roads. They're the only ones that can afford to make long drives or rides every weekends and otherwise, have tons of free time!

Last edited by cubewheels; 07-09-20 at 12:01 AM.
Likes For cubewheels:
Old 07-09-20, 04:15 AM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,480 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
No trouble at all! I did find left over paints in the house. One that is a shade of yellow and another that is red. I took some of the yellow paint in a jar and slowly added the red paint, alternately mixing and adding tiny bits of red paint until achieving the desired "rust orange" color.

This time I used 1 part paint and 2 parts kerosene to the rust paint mixture.

Application of the paint is different from the previous. Dab the paint brush (wet with paint) on the bike and just let the very thin paint run down. Select a good starting point like the welds on the frame. This is the best way to apply the rust color paint to make it look kinda like you left your bike outside the house for more than one year.

Previously, with the thinner white paint to make the bike look dirty, I let the paint dry a bit for two minutes on the bike before brushing them with gentle strokes to make it appear dusty, abraded, and faded and to remove the gloss.

The BEST part of this hack is that it is weatherproof and the highly diluted paints used can be easily removed with cloth dipped in kerosene and the frame's original gloss restored! I cannot guarantee this though, who knows in one month, the paint may no longer be removable and sticks permanently! One thing for sure though, the paint that is thinned a lot with kerosene will damage the vinyl stickers on your bike... You have been warned. Maybe you can remove the stickers first and try to store them using those special papers that doesn't stick to stickers (don't know what it's called, It's the same paper you peel from brand new stickers before applying them).

So here it is. My new rust bucket! The yellow BMX bike behind it is my 15 year old beater bike. The stem is about to fail so I've been using it a lot less. Which one looks older now??

Looks really bad (good)!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-09-20, 05:59 AM
cubewheels

Looks really bad (good)!
Yeah!! Today, my foamy saddle bid farewell after a ride. So I promptly restored the stock saddle which I modded. The stock saddle hurts my perineum so I cut it up in the middle, removed chunks of foam in the middle and most of the foam in the nose and covered the cut up section with multicolor ultra wide electric tape. The saddle now resembles women's racing / TT saddles, but with a goofy looking tape and of course, the Rinsten knockoff seat spring. Otherwise, very comfortable for me now. Will take a picture tomorrow. May have improved the appearance a bit

Mom hated the "uglified" bike at first. It looks awful, she said. But after I explained why I did it, she said I did a very good job. I really hope I did a very good job. Some of my worst concerns are some of the stores I go to regularly have a post that can only accommodate two bikes but often, parked motorcycles block the postand the only way riders can lock their bikes is lock the wheels to the frame. Leaves the bike immobile but can still be carried away. Hoping the work will fool would-be bike thieves. often my bike would not be by itself but parked among other bikes so it probably helps a lot if it isn't the shiniest bike, even better, the oldest and dirtiest looking bike in the rack!!

Last edited by cubewheels; 07-09-20 at 06:13 AM.
Likes For cubewheels:
Old 07-09-20, 06:02 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Hiawatha 3sp | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 135 Posts
3 pages before a drive side photo. Geesh.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 07-09-20, 06:25 AM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by DorkDisk View Post
I didn't realize that would be so important! Nothing to see there anyway, my derailleurs are the very bottom end Shimanos! Cheap riveted chainrings and a cheap 6 speed freewheel! And chains looks like they are made from tin cans! The Chinese are even so generous to give the chainring and the freewheel a little wobble! Perhaps it helps in shifting, I don't know...

Last edited by cubewheels; 07-09-20 at 06:29 AM.
Likes For cubewheels:
Old 07-09-20, 08:26 AM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

I didn't realize that would be so important! Nothing to see there anyway, my derailleurs are the very bottom end Shimanos! Cheap riveted chainrings and a cheap 6 speed freewheel! And chains looks like they are made from tin cans! The Chinese are even so generous to give the chainring and the freewheel a little wobble! Perhaps it helps in shifting, I don't know...

He's just having fun with you, the "all photos must be of the drive side" thing is a running joke.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-09-20, 10:28 AM
phughes

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 121 Posts

Perfectly disgusting. Well done! That's an ugly bike. The "rust" around the fender mount is especially realistic, as is the "rust" on the chainwheels, and stem cap.
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-09-20, 10:30 AM
phughes

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk View Post
Old 07-09-20, 08:20 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by phughes View Post
Perfectly disgusting. Well done! That's an ugly bike. The "rust" around the fender mount is especially realistic, as is the "rust" on the chainwheels, and stem cap.
Glad things worked out, thanks to you for giving a little push!

Here's an updated pic. Foamy saddle got ruined in the last ride so I restored the stock saddle. Modified the saddle for comfort, tore up the middle and removed all the foam in the middle and in the nose and then covered it up with high quality tape (looks, feels, and smells like electric tape but 3x wider and has stripes of black and yellow color)

I stuck a double adhesive tape on the back of the saddle and put some real dirt on it and then roughed the tape up so it looks damaged. Plus the black and yellow tape hopefully should make it look like it was fixed up ghetto - style. Ironically, it is modified ghetto-style, two birds in one stone I guess as I don't have to buy the right saddle for me anymore because the mod solved all my discomfort and numbing issues with the original saddle and also kinda made it looked badly damaged at the same time!

It looks excessively nosed down because I removed all the foam in the nose. It would actually be nosed up a bit if the foam is still there and I'm sitting on the saddle when the seat spring is compressed a little bit. Seat is placed a little far back so I don't go OTB when I brake hard. Lanes and turn signals don't exist in the streets of Manila in the same manner that jaywalkers are everywhere. I have to be able to brake hard at a moment's notice even without having to move back on my saddle so the bike's setup must be quite resistant to flipping if braking hard.

Most riders around here don't face the same problem because they ride slower but I'm out there to go home like a wet noodle to build strength and endurance!

Last edited by cubewheels; 07-09-20 at 08:33 PM.
Likes For cubewheels:
Old 07-10-20, 03:31 AM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Glad things worked out, thanks to you for giving a little push!

Here's an updated pic. Foamy saddle got ruined in the last ride so I restored the stock saddle. Modified the saddle for comfort, tore up the middle and removed all the foam in the middle and in the nose and then covered it up with high quality tape (looks, feels, and smells like electric tape but 3x wider and has stripes of black and yellow color)

I stuck a double adhesive tape on the back of the saddle and put some real dirt on it and then roughed the tape up so it looks damaged. Plus the black and yellow tape hopefully should make it look like it was fixed up ghetto - style. Ironically, it is modified ghetto-style, two birds in one stone I guess as I don't have to buy the right saddle for me anymore because the mod solved all my discomfort and numbing issues with the original saddle and also kinda made it looked badly damaged at the same time!

It looks excessively nosed down because I removed all the foam in the nose. It would actually be nosed up a bit if the foam is still there and I'm sitting on the saddle when the seat spring is compressed a little bit. Seat is placed a little far back so I don't go OTB when I brake hard. Lanes and turn signals don't exist in the streets of Manila in the same manner that jaywalkers are everywhere. I have to be able to brake hard at a moment's notice even without having to move back on my saddle so the bike's setup must be quite resistant to flipping if braking hard.

Most riders around here don't face the same problem because they ride slower but I'm out there to go home like a wet noodle to build strength and endurance!

Between the seat and the chain ring, that looks like the least tempting bike ever. Maybe you can make bike camouflage a side job.

When I was a teenager, I would sometimes ride my mom's Schwinn cruiser with 20 inch wheels and balloon tires. I'm a bit bigger than you, but I could really fly on that thing. I did it partly because I liked seeing people do double-takes when they saw it.
Old 07-10-20, 07:07 AM
cubewheels

Between the seat and the chain ring, that looks like the least tempting bike ever. Maybe you can make bike camouflage a side job.

When I was a teenager, I would sometimes ride my mom's Schwinn cruiser with 20 inch wheels and balloon tires. I'm a bit bigger than you, but I could really fly on that thing. I did it partly because I liked seeing people do double-takes when they saw it.
Wide, 20" road tires can have ridiculously low rolling resistance. Especially the ones with old tires that have hardened by age!

Strange that I've not been having strange reactions from other people and riders on the street so far. I did have lots of double takes before I did the uglify mod to the bike, especially before I added the fenders.

Ironically, bike camouflage isn't popular in this country. People will just buy a very cheap, used / old bike (something with a crappy brand too) to begin with if they can only afford dirt cheap bikes and cannot afford to lose it through theft. Often these bikes will have worn down components that needs to be fixed (otherwise can be ridden without fixing anything if you dont care about creaks and clicks and other noises). There's plenty of used bikes around.

Those who are better off would rather have their bike stolen than getting it to look ugly and old!
Likes For cubewheels:
Old 07-10-20, 01:06 PM
Wilbur76

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Born in the Philippines, left when I was 6. Never came back but maybe someday. Couldn’t ever live there though as I’d miss not being to ride a nice bike for leisure.
Old 07-10-20, 01:55 PM
teejaywhy

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Expert; 2018 Breezer Thunder Expert

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
I'm fairly certain there is no chance that bike will be stolen.
Likes For teejaywhy:
Old 07-10-20, 08:47 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by Wilbur76 View Post
Born in the Philippines, left when I was 6. Never came back but maybe someday. Couldn’t ever live there though as I’d miss not being to ride a nice bike for leisure.
Group rides help. It's just too dangerous to ride here. If crime doesn't get you, cars, jaywalkers, and the road itself would get you.

Lanes don't exist just as drivers don't use their turn signals to change lane and jaywakers are everywhere. And then the terribly neglected roads....Plenty of gaps and cracks that will swallow skinny tires (that's why road bikes are not very popular). There's even nails, and thick gauge wires stuck in the molten asphalt pointing up.

And finally the 100+ heat (hot and humid) most time of the year.

Never a relaxing ride for me, I don't just scan the road for motorists and jaywalkers, I also scan the ground for tiny nails and anything that can puncture or swallow your tires. Many riders don't care but suffering consquences.

But I still ride, to try to realize my athletic potential.

Probably don't come back. If you like tropical, just go move to Hawaii. Philippines is in a lot worse shape than the last time you were here. If had the chance, I'd also leave.

Last edited by cubewheels; 07-10-20 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-12-20, 04:36 AM
cubewheels

Update: Facing new problems due to having a much uglier looking bike now.

Motorists are now much more hostile and outright bullying me off the road!

Seldom happened before so it wasn't really a problem before...Then I remembered that in Manila, rich and middle class motorists tend to be abusive (bullying) against anyone on the road that looks poor!

Fortunately, the effect on other cyclists looks the opposite and they seem even nicer to me now. Like I can be super aggressive on the road and they won't mind (let the poor boy in his rust bucket have his fun!). Before the uglify project, if I did that, the guys will feel challenged and try to race me (only people with a death wish does that in Manila!).