Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

They don't want to talk about airborne transmission...

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

They don't want to talk about airborne transmission...

Old 07-10-20, 09:51 AM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17998 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 1,212 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Despite it not living up the the august editorial standards of the Journal of Applied Ball Bearing Research, ...
...link to Bearing News, com.
Old 07-10-20, 09:53 AM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 17998 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 1,212 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Unfortunately, there is a strong likelihood in the US that the anti-facemask advice was a product of law enforcement agency paranoia, the brilliant idea being people would be more likely to go out and rob a bank or the 7-11 if they already had masks on. Incompetence? Yes. Accidental? Not completely.
...the weird thing is that all those guys you see going ballistic on Youtube, in a Costco, are the easily identifiable no mask guys.
Old 07-10-20, 10:01 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...the weird thing is that all those guys you see going ballistic on Youtube, in a Costco, are the easily identifiable no mask guys.
Those are patriots, you commie.
Old 07-10-20, 01:12 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 40 Posts
As pointed out in post #26 , How covid19 is transmitted depends how you define air born A carbon monoxide buildup around a malfunctioning furnace can quickly poison the home's residents...guaranteed. A person coughing in the same room has perhaps a 1 in 10,000 chance of infecting people in other rooms So the way I see it, NO, Covid19 is not airborne.

Since we know it is transmitted through our spital even when we talk, Then the use of a mask where social distancing is a challenge seems prudent to me.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 07-10-20 at 01:19 PM.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 07-11-20, 05:27 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 8653 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 691 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Article Summary:
No evidence of airborne transmission. But maybe?
No evidence of fomite transmission. But maybe?
No evidence of transmission via non-respiratory fluids. But maybe?
No consensus on transmission from asymptomatic carriers. But maybe. Probably for sure.

Wanna know why the WHO/CDC haven't warned about possible airborne transmission? Because they have absolutely no idea.
Their case gathering numbers are so bad before figuring for error, the numbers are meaningless. The WHO should have it sussed out by the time it's too late to matter.
I wonder if both WHO and CDC are terribly underfunded to be able to take on a mission like this... and note that no other similar agency has offered any more substantive answers.

I also note that both agencies are subject to political pressures to modify their message... in spite of any pure scientific data actually gathered.
Likes For genec:
Old 07-11-20, 05:53 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by genec View Post
I wonder if both WHO and CDC are terribly underfunded to be able to take on a mission like this... and note that no other similar agency has offered any more substantive answers.

I also note that both agencies are subject to political pressures to modify their message... in spite of any pure scientific data actually gathered.
Exactly. I think you hit the nail on the head, twice.
Old 07-11-20, 05:56 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

In that Ars Technica article, Beth Mole makes a very good point in the penultimate paragraph (addressing my previous objection):

Why not just err on the side of "safety"? Because most precautions aren't free to implement. As Javid, the infectious disease expert at Tsinghua, points out, aerosol transmission of SARS-CoV-2 likely occurs at least sometimes. But "before invoking the precautionary principle, one should acknowledge that no measures come without potential downsides," he writes. "Zero-risk approaches to COVID-19 have major implications for other health and societally important factors."
I was one of the "why not err on the side of safety" people. I still am, but this is a very significant point.