Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help with a few small upgrades

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help with a few small upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-20, 09:04 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
I.e., not "rocket science". Or, do you disagree?
Not rocket science nor do I disagree. However the OP may not have been aware of the need to grind down the large Hyperglide cog tab in order to fit it to a Uniglide cassette body. Heck we don't even know yet whether or not the OP has a cassette or a freewheel.

Cheers
Old 07-11-20, 06:12 AM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Not rocket science nor do I disagree. However the OP may not have been aware of the need to grind down the large Hyperglide cog tab in order to fit it to a Uniglide cassette body. Heck we don't even know yet whether or not the OP has a cassette or a freewheel.

Cheers
Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt, I used the word "adapt".
Since we don't know which, I presented options for both.
Old 07-11-20, 09:23 AM
Cheseldine

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 21 Posts

I appear to be wrong, it looks like the largest is a 21T, not a 24 as I had originally thought.

By my count I've actually got a 13, 15, 16, 17, 19, and 21T freewheel. No wonder that hill climb was rough.
Old 07-11-20, 09:58 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheseldine

I appear to be wrong, it looks like the largest is a 21T, not a 24 as I had originally thought.

By my count I've actually got a 13, 15, 16, 17, 19, and 21T freewheel. No wonder that hill climb was rough.
Well, you will probably notice a lot of difference if you get a 28T for the low gear! Especially if you can also add the 39T small chainring.

I used to ride a 14-21 5 speed and then eventually moved to a narrow 6 with 13-24 and more recently to a 13-26 7 speed. That helps keep a cadence on climbs!

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 07-11-20 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-11-20, 10:10 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Yeah, going from a 21 to a 28t is a huge difference. 39x28 is plenty of gearing IMO if you are young and relatively fit.

BTW, that is clearly a cassette, not a freewheel. Should be reasonably easy to swap some cogs.

RE the toe clips: yes, I saw that some pictures had them and some not. If they don't fit they don't fit. You could acquire longer clips, or space them as mentioned. However, IMHO, you won't get the full benefit of toe clips without the cycling shoes that used to go with them. Realistically, those are no longer available. Some 'touring' shoes would be helpful though. But, clipless is a more logical way to go. All the benefits of clips and straps and cleated shoes, but way more comfort and convenience, This bike is from the transitional period, so they won't look out of place.
Old 07-11-20, 06:05 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
OP, I suggest you grab that Hyperglide cassette I linked from Ebay. The tooth counts aren't posted, but it looks to me like 13-14-15-17-20-24-28-32. If I were you, I would use your original 13, 15, 17 and the HG 20, 24, 28 sprockets to get a nice progression. If your RD can manage the chain wrap, another nice one would be 13-14-16-19-24-32.