Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What is the fascination with Torx?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What is the fascination with Torx?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20, 03:05 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Those square drive fasteners are called Robertson or Scrulox: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ives#Robertson
Old 07-09-20, 03:17 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
One issue I have come into with Torx was the bolts securing a rotor to a hub. Bent the shaft of the driver bit, and rounded out the screw heads. Not sure any other screw type would have made a difference, but for sure Torx did not offer any advantage with those 6 bolts.
On a bike's brake rotor? Wouldn't surprise me those screws were grossly undersized given the torque they were to require. (Which wouldn't be a leap, on an application where weight means everything.) I'd bet that if those screws had been specified 50% larger than they were, there never would have been a problem. I've had the same issue with screw head types of all sorts, over the years ... mostly on lighter-weight type applications (ie, bicycles, electronics devices, etc). Invariably, on screws clearly "big" for handling the torque loads, there's not an issue.

I'm all for weight savings, generally speaking. But not at the expense of appropriateness to the application. Not when serviceability is part of the utility.

JMO
Old 07-09-20, 03:20 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I understand why they did it. BMW don’t focus on making their bikes convenient for a shade tree mechanic. They often use three or four parts where a Kawasaki might have one, as well, and they have more sensors and computers. But you can always tell that there’s a reason they did it that way, and the result is better. The expense is expensiveness.
Don't know about the modern ones since my time working on them was in the 70's but the R-50 to R69S series required a torch and temperature crayons to get the shrink fit case parts apart and back together.

But then, they never leaked oil either.
Likes For TGT1:
Old 07-09-20, 03:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I have used square drive screws for decks and cabinetry and can say they take some serious torque loads without rounding out of the head. I assume that is the reason for using them. The head can also be made very small in relation to the screw shaft size.

One issue I have come into with Torx was the bolts securing a rotor to a hub. Bent the shaft of the driver bit, and rounded out the screw heads. Not sure any other screw type would have made a difference, but for sure Torx did not offer any advantage with those 6 bolts.

Yea but Roberson screw head type never went anywhere as far as common use, outside of Canada..

T25 Torx head 5x0.8 mm machine screws are what the bike industry has chosen to affix brake discs.
Options Shimano Centerloc hubs & discs ... Rohloff uses 4 chainring bolts to fit discs on those hubs on the rear..
Or, buy hex head bolts for your bike , if that pleases you... 8mm wrench used on heads of 5mm bolts..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-09-20 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-09-20, 03:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

So it's actually a case of a mechanic making mistakes , then blaming his tools , Classic
Old 07-09-20, 03:57 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Oh yeah, there's also a ******g T27.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 07-10-20 at 10:10 PM.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 07-09-20, 04:33 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
maybe so, but I only ever get one of those when I buy a set, whereas I have at least half a dozen T25 Bits because that’s what comes in a box of screws
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 07-10-20 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-10-20, 02:18 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Judging by the comments in this thread, it seems everything should be torx. Maybe Allen Company had better marketing than Torx Company, and convinced the world to use an inferior product.
It surely would be better if everything was Torx. Specially on the smaller bolts. Not sure why allen enjoyed more popularity, but it's not surprising considering Phillips screws are so popular and are a piece of crap.
Old 07-10-20, 07:51 AM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
It surely would be better if everything was Torx. Specially on the smaller bolts. Not sure why allen enjoyed more popularity, but it's not surprising considering Phillips screws are so popular and are a piece of crap.
Allen, or internal hex head fasteners, simply has had more time on the market. It has been in use since the early 1900. Torx wasn't invented until the late 1960s

maybe so, but I only ever get one of those when I buy a set, whereas I have at least half a dozen T25 Bits because that’s what comes in a box of screws
I've quit buying kits and now buy the individual bits that I need. It may cost a little more this way but it makes it much easier to get the right sizes and lengths for different applications (a 3 1/2" T25 is perfect for Campagnolo Ergopower levers.) Plus you can get some oddball bits, like Torx ball ends, which are great for loosening disc rotor bolts.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 07-10-20 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Wrong length on the T25 bit
Old 07-10-20, 07:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6185 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
I've had allen set screws and counter sunk allen socket head cap screws crack in the corner of the socket. Makes them pretty near impossible to remove without a lot of cussing. Any torque applied with the allen wrench to remove them will spread the crack open and the sharp edge is amazingly effective at biting into the steel or aluminum hole it's in and preventing it from turning.

Never had it happen with a torx, but certainly we didn't have a lot of torx set screws used in the same application. Torx at the time was and probably still is rare for a headless set screw.
Old 07-10-20, 12:22 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
I understand why they did it. BMW don’t focus on making their bikes convenient for a shade tree mechanic. They often use three or four parts where a Kawasaki might have one, as well, and they have more sensors and computers. But you can always tell that there’s a reason they did it that way, and the result is better. The expense is expensiveness.
Not sure if I can agree that the result is better, but that's down to personal taste. On the other end of the spectrum, I loved that, until recently, Ducati took the exact opposite approach (despite being viewed by many as an "exotic" brand). I remember reading about all the effort they put into their 999 and 1098 series designs to make them easier to service, and really appreciating it. Indeed, my 749 was an absolute joy to work on (aside from looking amazing and riding beautifully). But hey, those boxers (eye roll)...

Originally Posted by RGMN
(a 3 1/2" T25 is perfect for Campagnolo Ergopower levers).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those lever band bolts notorious for stripping easily? And yes, I know they are hard to get to from the proper angle, but don't many people prefer the earlier ones that are allen/hex?

Last edited by robertorolfo; 07-10-20 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-10-20, 12:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Eklind tool company makes folding tools... I have 2 for allen* & 2 for Torx..

*1 fractional ,1 metric set.

https://www.eklindtool.com/
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-11-20, 09:24 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Yea but Roberson screw head type never went anywhere as far as common use, outside of Canada..

Only because Peter Robertson refused to give Henry Ford exclusive rights to the design.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 07-12-20 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-11-20, 09:59 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
...I share your frustration toward the proliferation of driver patterns.

With Torx in particular, you can't really tell the difference visually between a T15 and a T20, or between T20 and T25,
and the same fastener in different lengths might take different driver sizes.

I regularly deal with, and often carry in my pocket, T15, T20, T25, T30, PH2, PH3, S1, S2, S3, square/phillips combo, 1/4", 5/16' nut drivers, SAE and metric allen key sets, and 1/4" and 3/16" slotted screwdrivers.
Try working in a shop assembling Schwinn (SAE/UNC imperial whaterver) and Raleigh (Whitworth) bolts. The Whitworth heads, for the same nominal thread major diameter, were larger. End up reaching for the wrong wrench 40 times a day. Grrrrrr.
Old 07-11-20, 10:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Only because Peter Robinson refused to give Henry Ford exclusive rights to the design.
Capitalist expropriation really prefers a monopoly as the final goal..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-12-20, 08:28 AM
RGMN

Originally Posted by RGMN
(a 3 1/2" T25 is perfect for Campagnolo Ergopower levers.)
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those lever band bolts notorious for stripping easily? And yes, I know they are hard to get to from the proper angle, but don't many people prefer the earlier ones that are allen/hex?
I don't know if they are easy to strip but with a conventional "L" wrench tightening them is at a slight angle, making it more likely they can cam out and damage the head. Having the longer Torx bit allows a straight in access to the bolt. I'm sure a piece of long hex stock would do the same on the allen.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 07-12-20, 10:47 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Try working in a shop assembling Schwinn (SAE/UNC imperial whaterver) and Raleigh (Whitworth) bolts. The Whitworth heads, for the same nominal thread major diameter, were larger. End up reaching for the wrong wrench 40 times a day. Grrrrrr.

My worst is servicing plumbing trim with set screws of unknown size that are facing down and cannot be seen, recessed up to an inch, and 1/4" from the wall. Even after finding the correct size from among 6 or more SAE, metric, (or even slotted) by feel, the key has to be refitted for every 1/8 turn of the screw.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 07-14-20, 12:22 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Torx drive is more resistant to "cam-out" than slotted or Phillips heads, and more resistant to stripping than hex drive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx
I suspect that they tolerate use with worn drivers better than hex, Torx kind of makes sense when reading the numerous posts on this forum asking for help with stripped-out hex drive fasteners.
It's a little aggravating when a bike is mostly hex, but has some torx (aka star) because you might need more tools and your multitool might not have the right fittine. But if I could snap my fingers, I'd have everything be Torx rather than hex. They can be smaller without stripping - imho.
Old 07-14-20, 04:54 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Not sure of the mistake the mechanic made, so help me and others understand and explain the mistake. Thanks.
Old 07-14-20, 04:56 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Then just to confuse the issue are JIS screws, which look just like philips (but are hopefully marked with a punch mark near the cross) but are mauled by a philips screwdriver. A JIS screwdriver in a JIS screw is firm as you can turn by hand. I use all Vessel brand JIS screwdrivers now. They work better than a philips driver in philips anyway!
Old 07-14-20, 10:06 AM
RGMN

My worst is servicing plumbing trim with set screws of unknown size that are facing down and cannot be seen, recessed up to an inch, and 1/4" from the wall. Even after finding the correct size from among 6 or more SAE, metric, (or even slotted) by feel, the key has to be refitted for every 1/8 turn of the screw.
Chapman Mfg:

Much more convenient than standard "L" wrenches.
Old 07-18-20, 03:56 PM
HeHateMe2976

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Torx is fine, but when you encounter a "security torx" and realize your torx bit isn't the security type, then you've been screwed. (pun intended / Dad joke).
Old 07-25-20, 08:05 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Had a Mazda truck in the 70's with a Perkins (licensed built in Japan) diesel engine. Whitworth bolts with metric heads.

Glad I never misplaced a bolt!
Old 07-25-20, 10:12 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by TGT1
Had a Mazda truck in the 70's with a Perkins (licensed built in Japan) diesel engine. Whitworth bolts with metric heads.

Glad I never misplaced a bolt!
Morris and MG engines from the middle 50 years of the 20th century were the reverse: Metric pitch (but Whitworth thread form) and British Standard Whitworth heads!

From a strength and fatigue standpoint, Whitworth was a superior thread - much superior to the National Standard thread from (NS had sharp thread roots, Whitworth is rounded).