Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advice on cassette/RD mismatch

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-12-20, 04:39 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts

Got a question for the bike mechanics among us. I have a CAAD12/Ultegra with the short-cage R8000 derailleur. I recently replaced the 11-30 cassette with an 11-32, which is beyond spec for the short-cage RD.

It shifts fine and runs quiet on the larger cogs including the 32T. However, when up-shifting to smaller cogs, the chain hesitates and sometimes skips over a gear. The chain is new (DA). The bike's been to my LBS and I believe they've adjusted the RD to be as good as it can be, but it's still not ideal.

My thinking is that I need to install the long-cage R8000 derailleur to truly fix this issue. It's not that much money (around $85). Here are my questions:

1) Is changing the RD a likely fix for the shifting problem?
2) Do I need to lengthen the chain to accommodate the larger RD? Shimano's instructions say to measure chain length without the RD in the path, so this implies the choice of RD has no effect on optimal chain length.
3) When adjusting the replacement RD, I'm familiar with how to adjust the limit screws, the "B" screw (for height) and the barrel adjuster. Are there any other special things I need to know?

Thank you.

Last edited by Robert A; 07-12-20 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-13-20, 12:28 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
If it goes into the big/big OK, then the worst to expect is slight slack in small/small.

If the chain was too short, disaster would have already happened in the big/big, so it is long enough.

Checking the hanger alignment and cable/housing issues are standard for hesitant shifting.

Possible issues from new chain/older cassette that may settle after some miles.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 07-13-20, 07:02 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
You can also try a Wolf Tooth adapter rather than buying a new RD. It's a cheaper way to get the extension you need for a larger cassette.
Old 07-13-20, 07:16 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft

Checking the hanger alignment and cable/housing issues are standard for hesitant shifting.
+1

Eyeballing it will get you close, but Park Tool DAG-1(or similar tool) will help.
Old 07-13-20, 10:14 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
You can also try a Wolf Tooth adapter rather than buying a new RD. It's a cheaper way to get the extension you need for a larger cassette.
Hey, do those really work? I've got a Bianchi with 50/34 in front and 12-25 in back, and a short-cage Veloce 10sp. derailleur. I'd like to run a bigger cassette, but it would exceed specs.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-13-20, 10:21 AM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I'm not having any problems when the chain is on the largest cog, so I'm not sure how an adapter would help. The issue occurs when shifting from a small cog to a smaller cog.