Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel Manufacturer

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wheel Manufacturer

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 06:09 AM
SoldSpartan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wheel Manufacturer

I can't figure out exactly who manufacturers these wheels for my Marin Rock Springs 2.
Old 07-13-20, 06:42 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Probably a machine in Taiwan or China.

what problem are you trying to solve? Do you need to service the hub?
Old 07-13-20, 06:50 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
That's an Alex rim. You'll also need to post a pic of the hubs to ID them. Edit- I see you've started several threads about this wheelset. Why not ask a mod to consolidate them, you'll get better help.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 07-13-20 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-13-20, 06:57 AM
SoldSpartan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
Probably a machine in Taiwan or China.

what problem are you trying to solve? Do you need to service the hub?
The wheel is not trued and has a slight wobble to it, and I am worried that it can't be fixed.
Old 07-13-20, 07:07 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
If only a slight wobble, likely just out of true (vs. a bent rim). Easy fix with a spoke wrench if you'd like to take a DIY shot at it, otherwise it's a quick job at a bike shop once you clear the service queue.
Old 07-13-20, 07:13 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
There's two common meanings of wobble.

First is the axle bearings are "loose" so that the rim/spokes can rock back and forth. Often from poorly adjusted bearing preload or worn bearing surfaces. Depending on the actual cause might be fixable with simple adjustments or part replacements.

Second is a rim that when spun, and an indicator (like brake pads) is placed next to the rim, will seem to snake closer and further from the indicator, as in out of true. Depending on the condition of the rim and spokes this is generally addressed by adjusting the spoke tensions to pull and push portions of the rim to become more consistent a distance from that indicator. This is called truing the wheel.

So which is happening? Andy
Old 07-13-20, 07:17 AM
SoldSpartan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mprince
If only a slight wobble, likely just out of true (vs. a bent rim). Easy fix with a spoke wrench if you'd like to take a DIY shot at it, otherwise it's a quick job at a bike shop once you clear the service queue.
In my unprofessional option it is rideable, because I did ride it back to my car with zero issues. I got no mechanical know how, and I have got an appointment with the mechanic tomorrow at 11am to be exact. Cost me $17 dollars; don't know if that is to much or what?
Old 07-13-20, 07:30 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by SoldSpartan
In my unprofessional option it is rideable, because I did ride it back to my car with zero issues. I got no mechanical know how, and I have got an appointment with the mechanic tomorrow at 11am to be exact. Cost me $17 dollars; don't know if that is to much or what?
Not too much. The price tells me the mechanic will get the spoke wrench out, adjust the spoke nipples and hand the wheel back to you.
Old 07-13-20, 08:34 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
If the $17 includes a quick fix (Wheel true or bearing adjust) then you are getting a very fair price, especially if the work is done while you wait.
Old 07-13-20, 08:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The wheel is not trued and has a slight wobble to it, and I am worried that it can't be fixed.
Take the bike to a bike shop and have their mechanics hand check it..
Old 07-13-20, 08:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
17 dollars and you take it to them is a decent price. 17 dollars and the mechanic is coming to you, I'd tip pretty heavy. Regardless, sometimes there is a little more to it than just tightening a few spokes. So if it's so far out of wack that all the spokes have to be relieved and re-tensioned, then expect a little more.

And still, there are other thing like bearing adjustment and other stuff that might also need to be looked at too. Some times one problem causes another. And another.......
Old 07-13-20, 09:35 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I got no mechanical know how, and I have got an appointment with the mechanic tomorrow at 11am to be exact. Cost me $17 dollars; don't know if that is to much or what?
With no mechanical know how, you get what you get. As others have said $17 is not bad and what other options do you have?

When I was a teenager I had no patience to work on cars. My Dad would lay out all his tools and methodically show me what to do. More than a half hour was too much for me.

My Dad would always tell me that I better get a good job to pay someone else do your work. As I grew older the patience showed up and I took the time to learn how to do things. My only regret was my Dad wasn’t around to see me swap out an engine and trans in a ‘63 Falcon Sprint. And I was fortunate to find a good job along the way.

John