Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Blue Blockers FTW!

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Blue Blockers FTW!

Old 07-11-20, 03:02 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 433 Posts
Blue Blockers FTW!

So since I (along with so many others) had to start WFH, I would be peering into my laptop screen (not tiny, 15", HD) all day, and by the end of the day, my eyes would be exhausted and blurry.

Then I saw an ad before a utub video asking, does staring at your computer leave you with tired eyes, blurry vision, headaches, ... ? (I have thankfully never been prone to headaches). I followed the link, don't even remember what the brand was or I'd link them here, but they were selling $95 glasses with lenses that block blue light.

I decided to try it out on the cheap, found $10 blue-blocking 1.5x reading glasses on fleabay, and they have been GREAT! Instantly, the oppressive glow of a white computer screen (I'm looking at you bikeforums!) is toned down, a little yellow, instead of white, but way more comfortable.

The only problem is these glasses are a little tight for my giant head, and pressure on the skull gets uncomfortable. But I'm not complaining, and I consider this $10 experiment a resounding success! Just gotta look for some more glasses with larger frames.
Old 07-11-20, 03:32 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 4730 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 815 Posts
Most monitors will also have some variant of a "night shift" mode, which makes the display more amber than white. I run dual monitors, and feel like I spent weeks getting them properly calibrated.

BTW, 15" is now almost microscopic. My wife's WFH station has a 28" and 24" monitors, and I run a pair of 25". My son wins all though, using a 40" Toshiba TV as his computer monitor.
Old 07-11-20, 04:43 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

The laptop is what it is. Sometimes I swipe a 24" (20"?) 2nd monitor from my son for the day, but usually WFH is just the laptop.

At work I had dual 24" (2nd monitor on the right rotated to portrait), and then a guy retired and I inherited from him a 42" 4K TV. Game changer! See Microsoft FancyZones
Old 07-11-20, 06:48 PM
Paint Job Steve
Banned

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Big laughs just on the thread title I remember the commercials.
Likes For Paint Job Steve:
Old 07-11-20, 07:19 PM
gios

Bikes: Gios Compact Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 41 Posts
If you're on a pc, f.lux is a great program. I don't watch t.v. anymore, and I don't have a phone I'm hunched over, and the only blue light that affects before bed are house lights and my kindle. I've already removed any electronics from my bedroom - step one.

My first introduction to blue blocker glasses was this consumer reports article - 3 Blue Blockers Put to the Test. #1 came out to be Uvex Skyper. They certainly work, but are not comfortable. My next purchase, in search of comfort, were these Gunnar gaming glasses. Those are very good, but I ended up liking these: Blueblox. Nice quality, comfort, and if you believe the advertising they block more blue light than the Gunnars.
Old 07-11-20, 09:54 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Paint Job Steve View Post
Yeah I remember the commercials too, but those were sunglasses. These are daytime/indoor. And for me just reading glasses, not prescription.
Old 07-12-20, 08:14 AM
BenzFanatic

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
I use f.lux as well. I have terribly light-sensitive eyes and it's been a life saver. I have a friend that swears by Blublox and I've been thinking about getting some for night-time driving. I can hardly drive in the dark as is.
Old 07-13-20, 02:19 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 8655 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 691 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Most monitors will also have some variant of a "night shift" mode, which makes the display more amber than white. I run dual monitors, and feel like I spent weeks getting them properly calibrated.

BTW, 15" is now almost microscopic. My wife's WFH station has a 28" and 24" monitors, and I run a pair of 25". My son wins all though, using a 40" Toshiba TV as his computer monitor.
I agree with the "spend weeks" getting it right. I have to laugh as back in the CRT days I would inevitably show up to an engineer's desk and find that they had the default windows settings and low refresh rate set. I'd ask if they ever got headaches... Then I would go to at least 60 Hz refresh and set up the resolution and color. (This really was more for me, as I was about to install/configure CAD tools for them) After they saw the settings, they generally agreed that they were better. And of course there are also the issues of working on flourecent office "reading light conditions"

These days LCDs have largely diminished the issues of video set up.

At one work location I have Dual 35 inch Dell ultrasharp monitors... quite nice. When working from home I use a 43 inch 4K LCD TV/monitor rated highly for games (low latency) that 43 inch is big enough to have a couple of windows open side by side.

My prescription glasses have a slight blue filter built in... "computer glasses." And these days, WFH, I control the lighting. Task lighting, vice harsh office light.
Old 07-13-20, 08:54 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked 1,116 Times in 717 Posts
Originally Posted by Paint Job Steve View Post
Yup, I remember those Blue Blocker commercials they were horrible. One vender on the side of the road in San Antonio was selling them for 5 bucks after they lost the nostalgia. Dang that was a long time ago I just took this pic of my redneck exhaust fan making the garage somewhat tolerable for humans lol. Iím old but not that old

Neighbor older than me got back from Alaska. Brought back a souvenir lol.