Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

You Don't Need Those Light Weight Wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

You Don't Need Those Light Weight Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 01:12 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone
Then why are they made from carbon. Alloy in the same shape is equally aero.
Old 07-13-20, 01:20 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
What did we do before we had GCN to enlighten us?
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-13-20, 01:26 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I will give up my lightweight wheels when you can pry them from my cold dead hands.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-13-20, 01:33 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
What did we do before we had GCN to enlighten us?
Rivendell Reader.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 07-13-20, 02:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong but everyone seems to be minimizing the importance of wheel mass for when it counts the most.

Lets say two riders identical in power output weight and every thing else physiological. Bikes are identical in every way including weight, but one has lighter rims. (don't over think it guys, I know some of you are having trouble with identical bikes but ligher rims. GET OVER IT! <GRIN>

Any how, after a 180 km stage on a tour they arrive at the 200 meter mark from the finish line at the same time having exactly the same energy reserves. Who wins the sprint? The one with the lighter wheels?

Don't tell me that the little bit of difference doesn't mean any thing. A win is a win.

Now if we are strictly talking about us wannabe's then probably I can see there isn't enough there to really matter. Even so, lighter wheels are generally an easy way to lighten an existing bike.
Old 07-13-20, 03:34 PM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Any how, after a 180 km stage on a tour they arrive at the 200 meter mark from the finish line at the same time having exactly the same energy reserves. Who wins the sprint? The one with the lighter wheels?
Is there a possibility in this universe that the sprint is longer, and the heavier wheels carry enough momentum to allow the rider to coast past the one with lighter wheels when their sprint energy is flagging?
Old 07-13-20, 04:08 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
I don't care either way myself but was it Moser who had the wheels he used for his hour record declared illegal or maybe they set the minimum weight after his attempt (might have been some diameter issues too). I wonder if there are any online vids on it. I'll have to look. Of course, in an hour record you only want to accelerate at the beginning (maybe the end if you've got a little juice left but that would mean you left some time on the table). Do you keep some heavy aero wheels for time trialing? I've been out of the cycling world for awhile. What are triathletes using nowadays? Yes, no answers just questions.
Old 07-13-20, 04:15 PM
scuzzo

Bikes: cannondale 2.0,caad3,schwinn Peleton,Felt F35,2007 litespeed Vortex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
well, they look cool... i guess..
Old 07-13-20, 04:25 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Maybe I'm wrong but everyone seems to be minimizing the importance of wheel mass for when it counts the most.

Lets say two riders identical in power output weight and every thing else physiological. Bikes are identical in every way including weight, but one has lighter rims. (don't over think it guys, I know some of you are having trouble with identical bikes but ligher rims. GET OVER IT! <GRIN>

Don't tell me that the little bit of difference doesn't mean any thing. A win is a win.

Now if we are strictly talking about us wannabe's then probably I can see there isn't enough there to really matter. Even so, lighter wheels are generally an easy way to lighten an existing bike.

Makes sense. That's probably why tennis pros use the lightest racquets- so they something left at the end of a five set match.
Old 07-13-20, 04:42 PM
upthywazzoo 

Originally Posted by scuzzo
well, they look cool... i guess..
And sound cool!
Old 07-13-20, 07:08 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
So at what point does added weight become negative? Maybe we all need to ride disc wheels made of steel.
Old 07-13-20, 07:25 PM
upthywazzoo 

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
So at what point does added weight become negative? Maybe we all need to ride disc wheels made of steel.
I assume there's some optimum weight that pairs well with gearing, and is based on the course (terrain, direction, elevation, surface roughness) and the weight of the system: wheels, frame, rider. Imagine for a second that if having less rotating mass was king, then we'd all be riding Bromptons. A heavier, larger, stronger rider will be less affected by the resistive forces of a heavier wheel since it proportionately represents less mass compared to the whole system.

The added weight would become a negative once accelerating it hurt efficiency in a noticeable way. Biking through stop and start traffic in a 50-10 combo, for example, would be really noticeably inefficient. If the rim is heavy enough to make you feel that, but on a smaller level and hundreds or thousands of times during a ride--then it's probably too heavy.
Old 07-13-20, 07:26 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Well people don't accelerate in races, do they?
In the context of my post, I don't know if this is rhetorical or sarcastic or genuine..?
Old 07-13-20, 07:52 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Well people don't accelerate in races, do they?
Originally Posted by asgelle
If you actually look at the numbers, accelerations are so slow* they virtually don't.

*Scaled to the forces needed to maintain a steady speed

Which is why pro cyclists never attack -- it's a waste of time since it doesn't actually produce any acceleration. I guess most pro cyclists just try to "out-average" the other riders.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-13-20, 07:52 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
In the context of my post, I don't know if this is rhetorical or sarcastic or genuine..?
B. Sarcastic
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-13-20, 07:58 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Or you could just learn how to properly ride and brake. It's not like we haven't been using carbon rims and rim brakes for the last two decades...
I agree. Know who you are and what your strengths and weaknesses are. I know guys who rarely brake on downhills. Heat build up for them is not an issue. Me, I am a chicken, also heavy. I stick with aluminum brake tracks. As you stated, carbon clinchers have been around long enough so we know they are safe. Things can happen, but we can say that about any carbon product.
Old 07-13-20, 08:05 PM
upthywazzoo 

Originally Posted by tomato coupe

Which is why pro cyclists never attack -- it's a waste of time since it doesn't actually produce any acceleration. I guess most pro cyclists just try to "out-average" the other riders.
Riding to watts is definitely a thing--especially on climbs where the maybe the goal is to just survive and not lose too much time on that stage. Riders good enough to compete on a grand tour though I suspect are close enough to each other in ability that the differences in power are less important than team tactics.
Old 07-13-20, 08:06 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts

Consider the concept of quasi-steady state then see if it applies to road racing situations.
Old 07-13-20, 08:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I don't race, and I don't know much about racing, but I thought marginal gains in acceleration were critical for breaking away.
If we are talking mass start racing, ie pelotons, accelerations happen when corners are taken and brakes are applied, the field comes to a hill, often when crashes happen as well as any time anyone decides to apply his legs to the race, for whatever reason (unless the field just decides to let him go. Some races are just cruises to the last few miles with everyone waiting for the sprint. Others are full on madness. When I was racing the sound of crashing bikes meant "Go - for all you are worth!" because others did and if you didn't, you were left behind. Criteriums, you sprint out of every corner.

In a race where the sprinters' teams are in full control, the pace may not be that hard, But in a race where the non-sprinter feel they have a chance, they know that their job is to get away or split the field. Those races may well be slower races but can be a lot harder.

So it isn't just breaking away. But if you are trying to go with a breakaway that's leaving, getting a foot or two closer may be the difference between latching on and being reabsorbed by the field after wasting a lot is energy.
Old 07-13-20, 08:23 PM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
I'm probably beating a dead horse since my earlier post here. But anyway I do have a set of sub 1000g hors category wheels, there awesome like everyone says about light wheels but I notice just as much when powers taken out of the cranks they stop dead fast.
Old 07-13-20, 08:29 PM
tomato coupe

Consider the concept of quasi-steady state then see if it applies to road racing situations.
I don't see anything quasi-steady state when a pro cyclist attacks in a race. The whole point is to accelerate quickly to create a gap, so that anyone following the attack has to put in a big effort to stay with the attacker. Anything that helps the attacker accelerate more quickly (or slows the followers' accelerations) can make a difference.
Old 07-13-20, 08:57 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
I don't see anything quasi-steady state when a pro cyclist attacks in a race.
No, but if you look at the equations of motion as in Martin et al. https://www.recumbents.com/wisil/Mart...%20cycling.pdf you would see there are acceleration terms relating to wheel rotation. A simple scaling analysis would show that the magnitude of these terms, proportional to acceleration, are orders of magnitude less than the terms dependent on velocity to some power. Therefore when integrating the equations to get speed or distance travelled, ignoring these acceleration terms doesn’t affect the result in any meaningful way.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 07-13-20, 09:33 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts

I think that it doesn’t happen until the right selection occurs. Like on a climb after the tempo has whittled it front group down to the contenders.
Old 07-13-20, 10:49 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by colnago62
I think that it doesn’t happen until the right selection occurs. Like on a climb after the tempo has whittled it front group down to the contenders.
What difference does it make when it happens? If you attack, you want to accelerate quickly to open a gap.
Old 07-13-20, 10:50 PM
tomato coupe

No, but if you look at the equations of motion as in Martin et al. https://www.recumbents.com/wisil/Mart...%20cycling.pdf you would see there are acceleration terms relating to wheel rotation. A simple scaling analysis would show that the magnitude of these terms, proportional to acceleration, are orders of magnitude less than the terms dependent on velocity to some power. Therefore when integrating the equations to get speed or distance travelled, ignoring these acceleration terms doesn’t affect the result in any meaningful way.
Both FireFox and Safari tell me that link is a "security risk" and won't open it, so I can't comment on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.