Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Tires and Tubes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New Tires and Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-20, 02:47 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I just looked up those tires. That is a lot of money for a tire, even if they sound good. But given their name, and their intended use, they sound like overkill for "mostly clean asphalt". I myself now have GP5000 in 28 and 25 and I'm pretty impressed with the ride. You are looking into a category of tire that is far too expensive for most of us, and is it really worth it? I know the answer, as I rode Clement Criterium Seta tires for a while because there was nothing like a silk sew-up. This was 30+ years ago. But at some point I tried the Contis and decided that it was plenty supple for me.
Old 07-10-20, 12:02 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
When I looked around for the GP5000's, I found they are only made in black wall. That disqualified them for me.
Old 07-10-20, 01:55 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7347 Post(s)
Liked 2,454 Times in 1,430 Posts
Thanks for weighing in, @canklecat. At least one person likes latex tubes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-10-20, 02:43 PM
trainman999

Bikes: 83 Schwinn Superior, 86 Paramount,86 Madison,87 Cimeron,86 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 113 Posts
Bad Lag My favorite is Specialized Turbo Cotton with latex tubes, ride is equal to the most expensive tubulars the stop watch always likes them.. They are expensive $60-$80 each and will not last long if abused. II you take good care of them 1500-2000 miles. I talc, tires, tubes, and rims when putting them together and pump them up to 100 lb before each ride I rarely have a problem with them
Old 07-11-20, 07:59 PM
Bad Lag

I have had nothing but trouble finding what I want for inner tubes.

The stems are too long - 60 to 80- mm long, instead of 25 mm.
It only fits 23-25 mm (but not 28 mm).
Another fits only 28-32 mm (but not 25 mm).
It costs $30 per tube + tax and shipping.
It is not in stock, call to confirm delivery date.

What a PITA.

Will it be any better if I go to my local bike shop (there are none close by)?
Old 07-11-20, 11:09 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
I have had nothing but trouble finding what I want for inner tubes.

The stems are too long - 60 to 80- mm long, instead of 25 mm.
It only fits 23-25 mm (but not 28 mm).
Another fits only 28-32 mm (but not 25 mm).
It costs $30 per tube + tax and shipping.
It is not in stock, call to confirm delivery date.

What a PITA.

Will it be any better if I go to my local bike shop (there are none close by)?
The standard valve stem length for Presta tubes is 43mm. Some cyclists with deeper rims still use those and add valve extenders.

Which tubes are you looking at that cost $30 each? Even latex tubes generally cost around $30 per pair. Butyl tubes cost around $3-$7 each for cheaper, thicker tubes, and around $7-$10 each for the very thin, lightweight tubes like the Continental Race 28 Light.

Seriously, if a cyclist is willing to pay around $50 each for a tire, it's worth trying latex tubes as well rather than the least expensive butyl tubes. Or at the very least try some thinner butyl tubes like the Conti Race 28 Light. Those make regular tubes feel like deadweight, and harsh on long stretches of chipseal. Most of our rural roads are being resurfaced with chipseal so it's worth paying a little more for better tubes.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-12-20, 12:01 AM
Bad Lag

Yes, I am sure you are correct. It is just such a mixed bag of junk I'm finding online. I can can find some of my desirements but not all of them in one product.

So you don't think I am completely full of it, here are some examples.

Q Tubes lists their product as usable on 700CX23-25mm tires, then, on the cardboard box it also shows them as being usable on 27"X 1 1/4" tires. Well, which is it, Q Tubes? Q Tubes, you guys need to get your act together. They are also the ones listing products that fit 700CX23-25 and a different product for 700CX28-32 but nothing for 700CX25-28 (the two sizes I use).

Tubolito cost $41.50 each (including tax and shipping).

The online reviews of latex tubes are not particularly favorable and they are expensive. Silca latex tubes cost $23.65 each + shipping. Do I need a special patching kit for latex?

Conti Supersonic tubes top out at 700CX25mm tires, so ostensibly, I need a different tube for my 700CX28 rear tire. Supersonics sell locally for $31.21 each, including tax.

Overlaying all of that noise is the lack of availability of the desired product (Schwalbe in particular). Is this caused by COVID-19 restrictions?

If you show me a tube out of its box, does it come in a box? Is it genuine or grey market or a genuine counterfeit? I want a box.

I have spent hours and hours researching and searching for these tubes and have nothing to show for it except frustration.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 07-12-20 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-12-20, 12:33 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
27” and 700C tubes are interchangeable. It’s fine to use a size in width too small, but can be hard to install one that’s too big.

Plenty of reasonably priced tubes here. I’ve had great experience with the Michelin Airstop butyl in the 25-32mm size with a 40mm (unthreaded - yeah!) Presta valves that look fine in my tb14 rims. They aren’t light weight but never a split seam or other evidence of quality problems. Ten bucks each.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...p?category=600

Last edited by Dfrost; 07-12-20 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-12-20, 03:10 PM
Bad Lag

Do I need a different patch kit, in particular a different adhesive, to go along with latex inner tubes?
Old 07-13-20, 08:24 PM
zacster

When I looked around for the GP5000's, I found they are only made in black wall. That disqualified them for me.
Look at what I just saw: GP5000 in gumwall! Not available yet but coming soon.
Old 07-15-20, 12:17 AM
Bad Lag

Well, I ordered some Vittoria latex tubes and some Conti Race 28 butyl tubes. Both are advertised in the 25-28 mm size range I need and both have short, 42 mm stems.

That seemed much more difficult than it needed to be.

Next, is the purchase of some tires. At least the size won't be an issue with these.
Old 07-15-20, 01:00 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
If you show me a tube out of its box, does it come in a box? Is it genuine or grey market or a genuine counterfeit? I want a box.
I've been throwin' 'em away, but if there's a market for the empty tube boxes, maybe I should put 'em on ebay. Should I include the little nut and cap, or sell them separately? Auction or B.I.N.?

Last edited by SurferRosa; 07-15-20 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-15-20, 10:36 AM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I've been thrown 'em away, but if there's a market for the empty tube boxes, maybe I should put 'em on ebay. Should I include the little nut and cap, or sell them separately? Auction or B.I.N.?

LOL!

Well, it isn't the box I am after, it's the tube inside the box that I desire or, more correctly, I desire the new tubes to be inside a box.

They spend a lot of money on the boxes - colorful, eye-catching graphics, information about the product and product installation, etc. Why not show the box in the advertisement? In my mind, no box implies grey market or counterfeit.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 07-15-20, 05:10 PM
zacster

LOL!

Well, it isn't the box I am after, it's the tube inside the box that I desire or, more correctly, I desire the new tubes to be inside a box.

They spend a lot of money on the boxes - colorful, eye-catching graphics, information about the product and product installation, etc. Why not show the box in the advertisement? In my mind, no box implies grey market or counterfeit.
Or just a bulk buy, or an OEM lot.

I bought a 5 pack of tubes from Ukraine, not bike tubes but vacuum tubes. They came wrapped in bubble wrap. Those same tubes in boxes cost twice as much, and they aren't original boxes anyway. The USSR didn't believe in consumer packed boxes, but these tubes were probably meant for nuclear warheads. I went to buy some Schwalbe tubes, also a 5 pack, but they were gone from Amazon the next day. 40mm stems, and 25-28 ready, just like I need.
Old 07-24-20, 05:47 PM
Bad Lag

Well,... the Vittoria latex tubes are in and pumped. The tubes weigh 82 gr.

The wheels are noticeably lighter, especially the front wheel. They are bouncier, too, although that might just be the lighter weight.

I'm going for a ride.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 07-24-20, 07:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Well,... the Vittoria latex tubes are in and pumped. The tubes weigh 82 gr.

The wheels are noticeably lighter, especially the front wheel. They are bouncier, too, although that might just be the lighter weight.

I'm going for a ride.
Yup, the bouncy feel was the first thing I noticed. Felt odd the first ride or two. But it quickly felt very normal, much better. My road bikes with butyl tubes feel dead now.

Then I rode my favorite hybrid with 700x42 Conti Speed Rides (which really measure closer to 700x38), my longtime favorite tires for all terrain and rough pavement riding. That bike is my go-to whenever my neck and back are aching and I don't want to be jolted around.

The 700x25 Conti GP Classic skinwalls and Silca latex tubes felt better on chipseal than the fatter Speed Rides at lower pressure.

Good tires with latex tubes also seem to have a wider acceptable pressure range. Sometimes those skinnier road bike tires feel better at higher pressure than I usually ride for really rough chipseal.
Old 07-24-20, 07:52 PM
zacster

I just got a batch of Vittoria butyl tubes in 700x25-28 and these come in at 105g. I'll have to see how they feel, if I can feel them at all. But I went back on BikeTiresDirect to compare these with others and they no longer have them, nor the Schwalbes or for that matter much of anything else for 25 or 28. Bike stuff is just disappearing.
Old 07-25-20, 11:09 AM
Bad Lag

Tires are needed next. The rear tire's tread is showing signs of wear. The front tire's more uniformly worn but the labels are all scrubbed off from turning.
Old 07-25-20, 06:10 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I just looked up those tires. That is a lot of money for a tire, even if they sound good. But given their name, and their intended use, they sound like overkill for "mostly clean asphalt". I myself now have GP5000 in 28 and 25 and I'm pretty impressed with the ride. You are looking into a category of tire that is far too expensive for most of us, and is it really worth it? I know the answer, as I rode Clement Criterium Seta tires for a while because there was nothing like a silk sew-up. This was 30+ years ago. But at some point I tried the Contis and decided that it was plenty supple for me.
Of course, you are correct and speaking for a big portion of C&V members where value and making every dollar count is important. However, I would suggest that supple wall Compass / Rene Herse tires are very well suited to running on Los Angeles / Orange County / So Cal asphalt which isn't always mostly clean, nor smooth IME. Plus the number of transitions from smooth to rough, chipseal edges, driveways and ramps, and the occasional trail or off road is also easily handled. Plus my Eroica experience of 72 miles of which 55 miles of ashphalt and 17 miles of gravel and dirt was done with confidence on my Compass tires. Of course, with my particular choice of 700C x 35 Bon Jon Pass, I have no problem with riding over worse roads than usual, which allows me to try other roads and trails rather than just stick to "clean" asphalt.

Well, I ordered some Vittoria latex tubes and some Conti Race 28 butyl tubes. Both are advertised in the 25-28 mm size range I need and both have short, 42 mm stems.
That seemed much more difficult than it needed to be.
Next, is the purchase of some tires. At least the size won't be an issue with these.
Tires are needed next. The rear tire's tread is showing signs of wear. The front tire's more uniformly worn but the labels are all scrubbed off from turning.
What bike are you putting the tires on and how much clearance do you have both front and rear? Will you have any problem with brake clearances top and at the brake pads?
Old 07-25-20, 06:31 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
There's this...

https://www.amazon.com/SCHWALBE-18-2...723307&sr=8-17
Old 07-25-20, 06:35 PM
mech986 

I use 700c X 25mm up front (Criterium) and 700c X 28mm in the rear (Parigi-Roubaix).
Type of Riding - clean, smooth asphalt roads
Speed - slower than I use to be :-)
Price - ride quality is more important, hence, the Challenge tires ($60-$70 each)
Preferences - light, lively, tubular-like ride quality with the convenience of a clincher.
What I described above is, for me, the optimal tire arrangement. It took me a couple of decades to get there but I got there and I still use it - 25 front, 28 rear. This works for me as I am a pretty big guy (may even qualify for the lower end of the "Clydsdale" spectrum).
I had an idea while reading these posts. I could get both or, more accurately, get all three. I could buy latex for its ride quality; Tubolito for the weight reduction and Continental Supersonics for the benefits of butyl at the lightest possible weight.

I could do that, however, I suspect it would shake out like this. All three lightweight tubes would puncture too frequently for me. The daily inflation of the latex would prove to be a pain. I suspect I'd end up going back to normal weight butyl after having spent $200 just on tubes that don't work for me.
I could be totally wrong. If any of these noticeably improved the ride quality, I'd be happy. It might be the suppleness of the latex. It might be the lightness and improved "feel" of the ultralight Tubolitos. It might be that perfect blend of lightness and practicality of the Conti Supersonics.
Then, we have to talk about tires.
I used to be a smaller guy, then I got older. For now, I'm about 5' 9", 210 pounds plus 24 pounds of bike so about 235-240 all loaded up. To some, my Compass 700C x 35 tires look low and "cushy" when inflated to 45F / 52R and it took some getting used to even for me to look at them. But they feel very smooth and supple, and I can ride easily over most road irregularities, of course, not attacking pot holes or major road disruptions. I'll bet right now you're running close to 90+ pounds on the 28's. With the RH tires, you might be able to drop that to around 80-85. Let me know by PM where you are and where you tend to ride. I've got a proposition for you regarding the tires.

Here's what my Italvega Super Speciale looks like set up for Eroica:

Old 07-25-20, 07:26 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Consider the Gravel King Slicks. I've got some in 32s on my fat tire road bike. I imagine the compass 700c tires are "nicer" like my Rat Trap Pass.
Go Compass with your latex tubes and Gravel Kings with Butyl.
Old 07-26-20, 01:56 PM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by mech986
What bike are you putting the tires on and how much clearance do you have both front and rear? Will you have any problem with brake clearances top and at the brake pads?
The rear triangle will not accept tires much bigger than the current 29mm width of the "28mm" Challenge tire. Offhand, I don't know about clearance at the brake bridge but down near the bottom bracket, it's already tight.

mech986, that ITALVEGA is a good looking bike. I'm sure with me, my bike, water bottle and tool kit, I am in that weight range. I am just bigger. I could not fit large profile tires like that on my bike.
Old 07-26-20, 04:04 PM
mech986 

The rear triangle will not accept tires much bigger than the current 29mm width of the "28mm" Challenge tire. Offhand, I don't know about clearance at the brake bridge but down near the bottom bracket, it's already tight.
mech986, that ITALVEGA is a good looking bike. I'm sure with me, my bike, water bottle and tool kit, I am in that weight range. I am just bigger. I could not fit large profile tires like that on my bike.
Thanks for the info and the kind words. Yeah, I'm running my rear axle pretty much all the way back so I have as much clearance from the rear chainstay bridge and the crimped sides of the stays. That's where the clearances are the tightest. If you take the adjuster screws out or reverse them, you can take the axle back a tad more. Sometimes that helps if you're also using a large cog freewheel depending on rear derailleur. My front fork crown is sloping which provides a nice bit of clearance for tires, on other models even for fenders. That may or may not impact your front tire choice as well from a vertical clearance standpoint.
Old 12-13-20, 02:32 PM
Bad Lag

Here's a bit of an update, a small update.

The latex tubes have not worked out too well for me. The rear tube blew out and was replaced with a thin/light butyl tube. I have no idea why it blew out.

The front latex tube is still in but has me a bit worried. I haven't ridden in about a month (lazy, distracted?) and the tire has gone almost flat despite two pumpings. Left on its own, it would go completely flat in a couple of weeks. I'm concerned the weight of the bike would then kill the tire. Butyl tubes just don't do that, at least not that fast.

I'm still running the old tires. Someday,...

Last edited by Bad Lag; 12-20-20 at 01:38 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.