Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Loctite on the saddle adjustment bolt!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 07:27 PM
PersephoneDown

Bikes: 2020 Trek Domane SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I bought a brand new 2020 Trek Domane SL6 in March. As with many new bikes, the saddle that came with it was pretty unbearable and so I bought a new one and installed it myself. The Domane has 2 bolts to adjust the saddle - one that tightens the clamps to the saddle rail and another one that handles angling the saddle up or down. This second bolt is supposed to be able to be loosened to do the adjustment, but upon further inspection, it seems someone put Loctite on it and I cannot loosen it at all! Why would a brand new bike have Loctite on one of the saddle adjustment bolts? What can I do to fix this?
Old 07-13-20, 07:48 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Did you loosen the clamping bolt before attempting to change the tilt adjustment bolt?
Old 07-13-20, 07:52 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
As the hardware has gotten smaller and torque specs got tighter (as in min/max range) more and more bolts are coming with a thread locking compound on them. That and when a personal injury lawyer asks the bike designer if there's anything more that could have been done to keep the bars from slipping and spilling the client onto the road (at some high speed) and the engineer says "no" and then the lawyer asks why no thread locker was applied during the component's manufacturing... Andy
Old 07-13-20, 07:53 PM
PersephoneDown

Bikes: 2020 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
Did you loosen the clamping bolt before attempting to change the tilt adjustment bolt?
I did not. According to the service manual, the bolts should work independently of one another. I can't post the URL to it since I have not made 10 posts to the forum yet. I'm more of a lurker :-) But if you search for the Trek Domane service manual, the images in question are under 1. Install Common Components: Image #6 and Image #7 .
Old 07-13-20, 09:01 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

I've worked on. a lot of two-bolt seat posts and all of them required loosening the clamp bolt before adjusting the tilt bolt or both bolts worked in opposition and both had to be tightened in sequence to hold the saddle position firmly.
Old 07-13-20, 09:32 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Can you post a link to the manual you are referring to? The 2020 Domana manual I found has two pinch bolts controlling seat tilt, and one bolt through the center of a circular piece to which the seat bolts to. Is that what you have?

I think I can say that Trek's documentation is, to my mind, a cluster f***. I love my Domane. Won't buy another Trek because their documentation is so poor. It's that bad.
Old 07-13-20, 09:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
One problem Mr Campagnolo had with his 2 bolt seat posts was people stopped using Brooks team pro saddles..

they were a perfect match... Tullio's Wrench even included an open end for the tension nut on the saddle nose
& an offset box wrench for the bolt heads on top of of the seat post..
Old 07-14-20, 06:59 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Tullio's Wrench even included an open end for the tension nut on the saddle nose
& an offset box wrench for the bolt heads on top of of the seat post..
Yes and this was a "feature" that was absolutely baffling. What was the designer thinking?
Old 07-14-20, 11:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
before then, they used tubular seat posts & saddle clips .. that combination has continued to be offered, to this day..

<C> # 771 wrench , # 1044 seat Pin (#4051 'Super Record' was fluted) & the Brooks Team Pro leather saddles worked perfectly together..

There have been many other companies making their own designs as well as making the same style as <C>.. Zeus just one evample..
Old 07-14-20, 12:47 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Might make a difference on what color lock-tite was used.
Old 07-14-20, 12:55 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
So the picture of the seatpost from that manual is below, and the figure 6 and 7 you refer to is also. From what I see you have TWO pinchbolts (green dots) to fix the seat angle, and one bolt (red dot in one pic, colored red in the picture labeled 6) underneath the pinch bolts to adjust that angle.

In picture 7 you have the bolt that fixes the seat rails to that rotating part of the post. It goes through the center of that rotating part.

The process, as I grok it, would be to install the seat and adjust it so that its' properly placed front to rear. Tighten the bolt as shown in picture 7.

To get the angle right, loosen both pinch bolts (green) and then adjust the angle with the red bolt in picture 6. Then tighten both pinch bolts. Use a torque wrench if possible.

I suppose you could locktite the pinch bolts (with BLUE (medium strength) and not RED (permanent) loctite) but with two pinchbolts that strikes me as overkill. Especially if you torque. And the instructions don't mention Loctite.