Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

American Flyer Muscle Bike

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-16-16, 03:13 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts

Another foolish restoration in the works. I dragged home this little beauty last week:

And by "dragged" I mean boxed up and flown from NJ to MN for more than the bike was worth. This excludes me from the $100 bike challenge as the price of a chain and brake pads will push me over the top. But this was my bike in 8th grade so there is some sentimental value. It's very rusty and has been beaten to death by my younger brothers. One of the challenges is that I'm just a little bigger than I was in 8th grade... I wrestled then so I know what I weighed. 88 lbs. Now I'm 6-3 240. So I'm having some new wheels built up to handle my extra ampleness. The Shimano 3-speed hub is toast so we'll find a use SA with 36 holes and new alloy rims. Luckily the Lowrider culture makes longer stems, seatposts, handlebars, and sissy bars plentiful and affordable. The 1-piece crank is only 4.5 inches (120mm). If I think it will not cause pedal strikes I'll put in a 3-piece 140mm BMX crank. Should be fun as I've got a bunch of neighbor kids who are just starting to ride.
Likes For reverborama:
Old 11-21-19, 08:35 AM
Londonsworld 

Bikes: 71 American Eagle Olympiad, 03 Trek 5200 P1, 2013 Trek 6 series Domane, 83 Apollo branded Kuwahara, 78 Trek TX 300, 73 Nishiki Intl. 86 Nishiki Prestige, Nishiki Olympic, 72 and 73 Nishiki Safari', two-speed Electra BMX cruiser 1, 87 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 38 Posts
Did you finish it?
Old 06-21-20, 09:02 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
There's still plenty left to do but I can ride it. I took it out for 20 miles today.

Old 06-22-20, 10:40 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Very cool!!! I think the neighbor kids might have a bit of difficulty riding it, though.
The adult-sized upright cruiser bikes make nice banana seat conversions, if you're interested in creating an adult-sized replica of your Flyer. I made one from a Western Strato-Flyer (cousin to the Sears Spaceliner) that I ride with a group of guys who tour the city lakes on cruiser bikes.