Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official BF Eroica California 2020 Roll Call!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official BF Eroica California 2020 Roll Call!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-19, 09:17 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mark, I think you've passed me on one of the Big Climbs every one of the past four Eroicas, including last year...you were riding with CGolvin, yes?
Old 11-10-19, 10:09 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Mark, I think you've passed me on one of the Big Climbs every one of the past four Eroicas, including last year...you were riding with CGolvin, yes?
I can think of twice, once with you on the white 650b'ed Schwinn, and once last year on the run-up before Kiler canyon. This past year I was indeed riding with Charlie.

I guess two more are possible; I've ridden it four times. First with the unrestored Bianchi, then twice with a white Trek 400, then with the Bianchi again. Apologies if I can't remember another two times we've crossed paths.
Old 11-11-19, 07:14 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Cy, you and your wife should meet up with us on the Velo-Retro Vintage Ride every first Sunday in Pasadena. Details in this thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthrea...1&goto=newpost

Mark, congratulations!! A new baby will just about turn your life upside down! Good luck and congrats again, get your sleep while you can. Hopefully, your wife and you both can enjoy Cambria with your new child.
Old 11-11-19, 07:05 PM
cfernandez 

Bikes: Currently: '07 Lemond Buenos Aires, '01 Lemond Zurich, '85 Schwinn Peloton, '99 Schwinn Moab 1, '01 Schwinn Rocket 88 Stage 1, '87 Bottecchia Team SLX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 14 Posts
mech986

Thanks for the invite, my wife and I have both been trying to get to your ride together, but with the same "change your life event", Mark is going to have with a new baby, we have been dealing with new baby for the last 6 years. We have been lucky enough to ride, but not often together. We keep trying though!

I have been on your ride twice (solo), but my wife won't go without me. We will keep trying.

Cheers
Old 11-13-19, 12:59 PM
Flying G

Bikes: 1971 Gitane TDF, 1974 Gitane Interclub, 2001 Serotta Rapid Tour CS3, 1986 Bruce Gordon touring bike, 1972 Gitane Super Corsa, 1978 Michal Johnson, 1972 Lambert Professional Grand Prix, 1983 Vitus (resto project), 1972 Raleigh Professional (resto)

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Rode the CA Eroica the last three years and already have my ticket for Eroica CA 2020 and the Beauty of Fatigue! Anticipate bringing another group from the Davis Bike Club, who also rode last year. Given last year's teething problems, I agree that we all need to work a little harder to make this next event more successful and am willing to volunteer some time during that 3 day weekend to make that happen.

1. Contact Info: Brian Gegan, Flying G, Brian.Gegan.com@gmail.com,530-756-8794, Davis, CA.

2. Route: 75 Santa Lucia (SL)

3. Primary Riding Bike: 1972, Gitane Super Corsa, Metallic Red under build-up and hope to have ready by Jan/Feb. Plan to display at Concours ( CC) an early 1970s Lambert Grand Prix Professional (Gold) 15 speed, under restoration.

3A. F/R gearing: 52/37/32 - 14-28 5 speed (converting the existing double to a triple using a triplizer), 700c x 32 Continental Grand Prix tires. I think that I'm a good climber but still will get my ass kicked by Killer Canyon at the end of the day.

4. Planned Dates of Arrival and Departure: Plan to be there Friday - Monday, April 3rd - 6th. Will rent a house in Cambria to share with other DBC members and spouses but will alert thread members if we have room available.

5. Additional Activities: Interested in a Friday ride, possible Friday BBQ and volunteering in some capacity (please let me know what is available or who the POC is). Will attend the concours as required to show Lambert and the Swap Meet as well. On the fence about the Saturday evening Eroica Dinner or whether to have our own meal back at the house.

Jan/Feb/Mar are busy travel months but hope to get enough riding time in so that I don't have to walk the bike too much on that final ascent!

Best regards,
Brian
Old 11-14-19, 06:43 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 104 Posts
I live on the east coast of Canada and am driving down for the event. I am giving myself a week+ to get there and plan to see as much as possible along rt 66 and the same going home. I am undecided if I am partaking in Nova or the classic event as my fitness is not on par due to an illness from last winter. I am up to 60 - 70 miles on my modern road setup and train most every day lately, on my old bikes not so much. I have many bikes to choose from but the short list is a 70' Jackson, a 80's Moser or a 80' Raleigh GS for old bikes and my go-to modern is a 2000 Pinarello. I have been wanting to explore rt 66 for a very long time and this is a perfect opportunity in my 50th year.

My biggest setback for the classic ride is the clothing. I currently do not have vintage wear and the prices seem quite high IMO. Does anyone have access to reasonably priced wool?

1. First name, Last name, CR or BF name, email address (optional), phone number (optional), City, State. If you already gave me your email or phone previously, state “sent prev” And I’ll pull from last year’s info.
Dave Mitchell, BF-Daviddavieboy / CR-Maugerville, Maugerville NB Canada

2. Route (35 Piedras Blancas (PB), 75 Santa Lucia (SL), 82 La Villa Dello Scalatore (LVDS), 110 Heroic (H) ).
In for the Heroic ride

3. Primary Riding Bike - year, Make, Model. Color (optional). Additional Bikes for Display (DIS) or Concours (CC).
1970 Bob Jackson and maybe a 2000 Pinarello Opera

3A. New info request this year - F/R gearing (Ex. 52/42/26 - 14-32 5 speed), Tires and sizes (ex. - Compass Bon Jon Pass EL 700Cx35), How good a climber are you - (Exc, Good, Fair, Poor, Flats only!)
Jackson 41/53 - 14/30 w/ Challenge Paris Roubaix tubulars (700x27) Fair climber but out of shape at the moment
Pinarello 39/53 - 12/27 w/ Conti Sprinters (700x25) tubulars or Grand Prix Classic clinchers

4. Planned dates of arrival and departure and Where you be staying? If you need help with or wish to share accommodations, please state what you are looking for - room, house, camping, and which local town (Cambria, Cayucos, San Simeon, Paso/Templeton or SLO.). We can use this thread or start another thread to assist with matching up folks and needs.
Friday before the event or earlier to check route @ the Courtesy Inn, San Simeon CA. Leaving Monday ot Tuesday

5. Any additional activities - Volunteering, Swap vendor, Display, concours, judging, pre-race rides, Friday BBQ or Saturday Eroica Cena dinner, etc.
I want to take in as much as possible

Old picture - the Moser now has Campagnolo Super Record and 36h record wheels.

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 12-17-19 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Confirmed registration updated information here
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 11-14-19, 10:54 AM
cfernandez 

Bikes: Currently: '07 Lemond Buenos Aires, '01 Lemond Zurich, '85 Schwinn Peloton, '99 Schwinn Moab 1, '01 Schwinn Rocket 88 Stage 1, '87 Bottecchia Team SLX

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 14 Posts
Sounds like an awesome trip you are going to take. I can't help you with the wool jerseys because I will probably end up wearing a lycra "vintage" jersey. I rode the ride last year and there were many people (maybe half) the people there wore lycra "vintage" or replicas of wool jerseys. If I could find the correct wool jersey for my plans in my size and my cost I would get it, but so far no luck. I will be going lycra.

As for your Route 66 trip, I am guessing your are starting in Chicago. My advice on food, get some authentic Chicago style deep dish pizza! Connies and Giordanos East are two of the larger pizzerias, but there are so many in Chicagoland. Just do a "Yelp" in the location you are currently at. Just don't be in a rush. They take about 45 minutes to cook!

Beautiful bikes! BTW, are you thinking about using the Pinarello Opera for the Nova ride? Awesome, I am thinking about doing it too, just on a little older of a bike. You will be riding in style.

Hope to see you when you get down here. Cheers.
Old 11-14-19, 11:37 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy

My biggest setback for the classic ride is the clothing. I currently do not have vintage wear and the prices seem quite high IMO. Does anyone have access to reasonably priced wool?

What size? I have an extra pair of wool shorts that have never been worn, and some jersies that, ahem, don't fit me anymore.
Old 11-14-19, 05:29 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I have bought from these guys. Decent prices, great quality, nice to deal with. Actually wool is a suggestion, not a rule.😉 The official event jersey (left) isn't even wool, as far as I know.

https://www.oregoncyclewear.com/specials.html

I got the Legnano jersey from them in 2016, with optional embroidery by Spectrum.
Old 11-14-19, 06:40 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I have bought from these guys. Decent prices, great quality, nice to deal with. Actually wool is a suggestion, not a rule.�� The official event jersey (left) isn't even wool, as far as I know.

https://www.oregoncyclewear.com/specials.html

I got the Legnano jersey from them in 2016, with optional embroidery by Spectrum.

+1, I've done 4 jersies through them before, about to order another one.

In US sizing I am a large and XL in the jerseys for a more comfortable fit. I SHOULD be down to ~200# for the event. I also thought about just wearing something over kit I already have.

Now that I read a little closer it seems they prefer wool but modern but vintage inspired clothing is OK as well.

Funny you should mention as I have a quote in with spectrum to do my LBS logo and they have some jerseys in my size on sale now! I am waiting on them to send a image of what the jersey will look like before they stitch it. $55 for the logo setup and $22 per side for the stitching. I am hoping that the shop owner will like it enough to order a few as well.

Spectrum did this logo off of just artwork, no setup charge, $18 per side for CNC embroidery

Old 11-14-19, 10:38 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
I live on the east coast of Canada and am driving down for the event. I am giving myself a week+ to get there and plan to see as much as possible along rt 66 and the same going home. I am undecided if I am partaking in Nova or the classic event as my fitness is not on par due to an illness from last winter. I am up to 60 - 70 miles on my modern road setup and train most every day lately, on my old bikes not so much. I have many bikes to choose from but the short list is a 70' Jackson, a 80's Moser or a 80' Raleigh GS for old bikes and my go-to modern is a 2000 Pinarello. I have been wanting to explore rt 66 for a very long time and this is a perfect opportunity in my 50th year.

1. First name, Last name, CR or BF name, email address (optional), phone number (optional), City, State. If you already gave me your email or phone previously, state “sent prev” And I’ll pull from last year’s info.
Dave Mitchell, BF-Daviddavieboy / CR-Maugerville, Maugerville NB Canada

2. Route (35 Piedras Blancas (PB), 75 Santa Lucia (SL), 82 La Villa Dello Scalatore (LVDS), 110 Heroic (H) ).
Undecided - LVDS or H depending on which bike

3. Primary Riding Bike - year, Make, Model. Color (optional). Additional Bikes for Display (DIS) or Concours (CC).
Probably a 1970 Bob Jackson OR 2000 Pinarello Opera

3A. New info request this year - F/R gearing (Ex. 52/42/26 - 14-32 5 speed), Tires and sizes (ex. - Compass Bon Jon Pass EL 700Cx35), How good a climber are you - (Exc, Good, Fair, Poor, Flats only!)
Jackson 41/53 - 14/30 w/ Challenge Paris Roubaix tubulars (700x27) Fair climber but out of shape at the moment
Pinarello 39/53 - 12/27 w/ Conti Sprinters (700x25) tubulars or grand prix classic clinchers

4. Planned dates of arrival and departure and Where you be staying? If you need help with or wish to share accommodations, please state what you are looking for - room, house, camping, and which local town (Cambria, Cayucos, San Simeon, Paso/Templeton or SLO.). We can use this thread or start another thread to assist with matching up folks and needs.
Nothing booked yet but I am looking to stay an hour or so away and drive in on the day of the event.

5. Any additional activities - Volunteering, Swap vendor, Display, concours, judging, pre-race rides, Friday BBQ or Saturday Eroica Cena dinner, etc.
I want to take in as much as possible

Old picture - the Moser now has Campagnolo Super Record and 36h record wheels.

Im staying in San Simeon which is a short drive from cambria, also its about half the cost . You might want to look into the hotel pricing there.

Im an 80's guy so No Wool for me. Lycra Team jersey's are pretty much all I wear and will be doing so at L'Eroica. Ill be riding a Moser myself.
Old 11-15-19, 12:11 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
As a public service i thought i would mention this:
In the past i have stayed at a motel in San Simeon, called the Courtesy Inn. this was an event weekend, but not Eroica CA. The room was in the $99 range, and was very nice for the $$. this is 5.9 miles, per google maps, from the Cambria starting area (assuming same field as last year).
good bed, good location, nice towels, close to the event... all you could ask for IMHO.
Old 11-16-19, 03:12 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by cfernandez
As for your Route 66 trip, I am guessing your are starting in Chicago. . . are you thinking about using the Pinarello Opera for the Nova ride? Awesome, I am thinking about doing it too, just on a little older of a bike. You will be riding in style.
Hope to see you when you get down here. Cheers.
I am undecided on the exact route right now. I am only 6hr from Boston so I may hit the I90 or go a little further for the I70 and head west.
And yes the Opera would be for Nova as it is tried and true century bike for me and climbs like a goat. If my fitness doesn't improve much I will probably start leaning toward the Moser as it is a well climbing bike too.(currently stripped for refinishing) Or possibly now a Raleigh GS. UGG

Originally Posted by mgopack42
As a public service i thought i would mention this:
In the past i have stayed at a motel in San Simeon, called the Courtesy Inn. this was an event weekend, but not Eroica CA. The room was in the $99 range, and was very nice for the $$. this is 5.9 miles, per google maps, from the Cambria starting area (assuming same field as last year).
good bed, good location, nice towels, close to the event... all you could ask for IMHO.
Thanks for the tip ! Just booked this place for the 4th to the 6th.! It was only $102 CDN / night.

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 11-16-19 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-16-19, 05:08 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts

I bought the official jersey and it's too big for me. I wore it over the top of a lycra jersey so I could have the extra pockets - worked well. XL should fit a 200 pounder just fine, but it's also pretty long.
Worn a few times, perfect condition. I'd let you have it for $40 and be glad that it will see Eroica again.

Old 11-28-19, 03:10 PM
jcb3

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thinking of you guys on a rainy Thanksgiving

https://www.strava.com/activities/2897978786

joe
Old 11-28-19, 05:18 PM
jackbombay

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
1. Mark G. BF name is jackbombay

2. 110 Heroic (H) ).

3. Most likely 1968 restomod 650b Raleigh Sprite with sturmey archer IGH 5 speed, but maybe restomod 700c 1963 Hercules with a sturmey 5 speed IGH

3A. 53 front 28 rear with 1st being %33.3 lower than my actual gearing (about 35 front 28 rear) and 5th being %50 higher than my actual gearing (about 53 front 14 rear). Tires, something 650bx38c or so... Climbing? I *really* like climbing.

4. I will be camping in my old sprinter van, not sure where though, yet, suggestions welcome! I'll probably arrive on Saturday afternoon and leave monday morning.
Old 11-28-19, 05:37 PM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay

2. 110 Heroic (H) ).

3. Most likely 1968 restomod 650b Raleigh Sprite with sturmey archer IGH 5 speed, but maybe restomod 700c 1963 Hercules with a sturmey 5 speed IGH

3A. 53 front 28 rear with 1st being %33.3 lower than my actual gearing (about 35 front 28 rear) and 5th being %50 higher than my actual gearing (about 53 front 14 rear). Tires, something 650bx38c or so... Climbing? I *really* like climbing.

4. I will be camping in my old sprinter van, not sure where though, yet, suggestions welcome! I'll probably arrive on Saturday afternoon and leave monday morning.
the San Simeon State Park is nice. My wife and I will be there in our motorhome. It is a short distance north of town . The Washburn camp is up above the beach part and a little drier than right on the beach. Joe
Old 11-28-19, 05:40 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
the San Simeon State Park is nice. My wife and I will be there in our motorhome. It is a short distance north of town . The Washburn camp is up above the beach part and a little drier than right on the beach. Joe
Great, thanks for the info!

Edit, just booked a campsite for saturday and sunday night :-), #16

Last edited by jackbombay; 11-28-19 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-09-19, 12:37 PM
OldCoot

Bikes: 82 Univega Specialissima, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Kona Wheelhouse, Rocky Mtn Thunderbolt, Viner Strada Bianca, ~73 Bob Jackson, ~75 Volkscycle Mark100.

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 73 Posts
I have registered for the 2020 event. Got Hotel reservations in Cambria for night before. Purchased a bike that needs rehab!

1. Rob Wyland, BF name = Oldcoot, from Santa Cruz, Ca
2. Signed up for 75 mile Santa Lucia route
3. Bike Will most likely be a 1986 Raleigh Supercourse (iris and boysenberry). Have been promised a Bob Jackson by an old riding buddy... we will see!
3A. Gearing: Front 46-38-28, Rear 7 spd 13-28. Fair climber if I can spin ( up to about 12% with 1:1 gearing) once grinding, thing's don't go so well. Thus my low gears...
4. Saturday before with Family. Staying in Cambria so I can ride to start with out disturbing family. Leaving when finished.
5. Want see displays on Saturday. Saturday Dinner to expensive for 4 of us!

1st eroica, should be entertaining. Family most likely to visit Hearst castle while i ride.

rob
Likes For OldCoot:
Old 12-15-19, 09:41 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
I have been trying to ride one day/week with one of my bikes with clip pedals with eroica in mind.
Added leather wraps to clip toe bars which really help with the pressure on the toes.
May use my Shimano PD T100 clip in pedals since I really like the more touring kind of foot platform.
More testing needed.
How many others are experimenting with different riding setups?
Old 12-15-19, 11:42 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
1: Taking your pliers to the tie clips and making them taller at the toe will relieve some pressure and 2: having some sort of cleat-like slot in the sole of your shoe that will discourage your foot from sliding too far forward and jamming your toes into the clip helps too.

Cool pedals. T100-Never seen these. From VeloBase:

Last edited by Classtime; 12-15-19 at 11:51 AM.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 12-15-19, 11:57 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay

2. 110 Heroic (H) ).

I would encourage you to be there on Saturday, the Concourse is a must imo, not unlike this forum, only live.
Old 12-15-19, 03:59 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
1: Taking your pliers to the tie clips and making them taller at the toe will relieve some pressure and 2: having some sort of cleat-like slot in the sole of your shoe that will discourage your foot from sliding too far forward and jamming your toes into the clip helps too.

Cool pedals. T100-Never seen these. From VeloBase:

My vintage SIDI shoes with plastic cleat-like slot dont allow a more comfortable fit even with the Large clips.

Those pedals look to be the SHIMANO PD-T100 with a rubber platform fitting which should provide a very comfy surface but no longer allow the clip to be added? I have CHRISTOPHE LARGE CLIPS & WHITE STRAPS on my standard pair.

Last edited by joesch; 12-15-19 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-15-19, 11:37 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by merziac
I would encourage you to be there on Saturday, the Concourse is a must imo, not unlike this forum, only live.
I should be able to make that happen :-)
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 12-17-19, 06:44 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
If anyone needs them, MKS makes an Extra large (LL) toeclip that can accommodate larger shoes. I used to wear a 9.5 size dress shoe for a long time, but over the last 5 years realized that was too small. My feet have been flattening a bit and I would get ingrown big toenails on both feet, partly due to the cramped toebox. I switched to SAS shoes which have large toeboxes and had them remeasure my shoe size. It was actually a 10.5 to 11.0 EE to EEE wide which I've found to be much more comfortable. With that in mind, when I looked for modern cycling shoes (not my old Italian style with super narrow lasts - the old Euro style), I found Shimano makes Wide sizes. Now I use a Shimano R088 (3-4 year old style) in a 46E Wide and fits perfectly although seems awfully long.

That's where the MKS LL toeclip comes in, it allows the ball of my foot to fit back over the correct spot on the pedal and gives mostly enough vertical space to not put pressure on my toes. I used pliers as mentioned above to shape the toeclip over the toebox off the shoes. The only downside to them is they may cause overlap with the front tire if your wheelbase is shorter, you're running wider/taller tires, or you tend to overlap anyway. Also, with narrow/shorter tires and longer cranks, you may find you're scraping the toeclip on the ground. I actually had that happen for awhile and in a couple of instances, the clip actually snapped when it caught the ground on a pedal stroke when I couldn't clip in and rode on the upturned pedal bottom, driving the clip front into the ground. Never thought I could snap a steel clip before. So I always buy a couple of pairs and have them handy If I need to replace just one. They come with all metric hardware to install on any classic pedal. One version also comes with leather accents. There are also versions that are deep (taller toebox) that may help in specific situations.

https://velo-orange.com/products/mks...nt=50644751687
https://www.amazon.com/MKS-Deep-Stee...P16?th=1&psc=1

https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/node/146

Last edited by mech986; 12-17-19 at 06:58 AM.
Likes For mech986:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.