Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official BF Eroica California 2020 Roll Call!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official BF Eroica California 2020 Roll Call!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-19, 06:49 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
https://www.mkspedal.com/sites/defau...%20ToeClip.pdf

https://www.mkspedal.com/sites/defau...ip%20Alloy.pdf

https://www.mkspedal.com/sites/defau...eep%20Twin.pdf
Attached Files

Last edited by mech986; 12-17-19 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-17-19, 11:59 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
You know what they say: "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans." Even so, I have a plan: I'll fly to San Francisco in the tail-end of March, then ride my PX-10 down the coast road to Cabria, planning to arrive on Thursday. I'm a bike tourist with camping gear, not a speedy event-type rider, so I'm guessing the 250-mile ride will take at least four days.
I won't actually be riding any of the routes, since I'll be attending as a vendor to sell chainrings and triplizers. My plan is to have a pleasant (albeit brief) tour and with luck sell enough goods to at least subsidize my flight home to Vermont. Figuring on doing a rinko-like bike disassembly and bringing it as checked baggage both ways.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 12-17-19, 02:13 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
You know what they say: "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans." Even so, I have a plan: I'll fly to San Francisco in the tail-end of March, then ride my PX-10 down the coast road to Cabria, planning to arrive on Thursday. I'm a bike tourist with camping gear, not a speedy event-type rider, so I'm guessing the 250-mile ride will take at least four days.
Be aware that @gugie and I have talked about riding down from SF area with a group of Eroicoids the week before Eroica. This would be a credit card tour and followup to my annual "Marinica" ride in Marin County that occurs the weekend before Eroica. I haven't checked in with Gugie lately about this but assume that it is still in the cards. You would definitely be welcome to join us for all or part of that ride. I think we were talking about arriving in Cambria on Friday.
Old 12-17-19, 02:34 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Sounds like ambitious plans. As a semi local, know that the weather can be iffy that time of year, at least to this wimpy old SoCal guy. Hope it works out - should make a good story either way. Have fun, hope to see you there.
Old 12-17-19, 03:07 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
Sounds like ambitious plans. As a semi local, know that the weather can be iffy that time of year, at least to this wimpy old SoCal guy. Hope it works out - should make a good story either way. Have fun, hope to see you there.
Rule # 9 man!*

* https://www.velominati.com/comment-page-8/ and https://www.velominati.com/the-rules...badass-within/
Likes For davester:
Old 12-17-19, 04:33 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
I won't actually be riding any of the routes, since I'll be attending as a vendor to sell chainrings and triplizers. My plan is to have a pleasant (albeit brief) tour and with luck sell enough goods to at least subsidize my flight home to Vermont. Figuring on doing a rinko-like bike disassembly and bringing it as checked baggage both ways.
I hear you. My way of saying the same thing is "What could possibly go wrong?" There was the Last Winter Tour of the Willamette Valley, the complex planning for TdFFD 2017, TdFFD 2018, Eroica 2018/Magic Bus Tour and 2019 Palazzo degli eroi. and of course this year's Magical Mytsery Tour

There's a perfect word for planning a bike tour, short or long:

Audacious If you worry about every single thing that can go wrong, you'll never get on your bike for even a short tour.

Originally Posted by davester
Be aware that @gugie and I have talked about riding down from SF area with a group of Eroicoids the week before Eroica. This would be a credit card tour and followup to my annual "Marinica" ride in Marin County that occurs the weekend before Eroica. I haven't checked in with Gugie lately about this but assume that it is still in the cards. You would definitely be welcome to join us for all or part of that ride. I think we were talking about arriving in Cambria on Friday.
Still in. Marinica is on a Sunday, no? We definitely need to start planning, a little ridewithgps recon shows close to 70 miles and >5k feet of climbing, and there are only a few relatively inexpensive places to stay there.

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I live in Portland, Orygun. What SoCal calls iffy, we call riding weather. Rules 5, 9* and 21 apply. I'll prolly have fenders for the tour part, but they'll come off for Eroica, because, well, it's heroic to be dirty. *@davester beat me to it.
Old 12-22-19, 11:39 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by mech986
If anyone needs them, MKS makes an Extra large (LL) toeclip that can accommodate larger shoes. I used to wear a 9.5 size dress shoe for a long time, but over the last 5 years realized that was too small. My feet have been flattening a bit and I would get ingrown big toenails on both feet, partly due to the cramped toebox. I switched to SAS shoes which have large toeboxes and had them remeasure my shoe size. It was actually a 10.5 to 11.0 EE to EEE wide which I've found to be much more comfortable. With that in mind, when I looked for modern cycling shoes (not my old Italian style with super narrow lasts - the old Euro style), I found Shimano makes Wide sizes. Now I use a Shimano R088 (3-4 year old style) in a 46E Wide and fits perfectly although seems awfully long.

That's where the MKS LL toeclip comes in, it allows the ball of my foot to fit back over the correct spot on the pedal and gives mostly enough vertical space to not put pressure on my toes. I used pliers as mentioned above to shape the toeclip over the toebox off the shoes. The only downside to them is they may cause overlap with the front tire if your wheelbase is shorter, you're running wider/taller tires, or you tend to overlap anyway. Also, with narrow/shorter tires and longer cranks, you may find you're scraping the toeclip on the ground. I actually had that happen for awhile and in a couple of instances, the clip actually snapped when it caught the ground on a pedal stroke when I couldn't clip in and rode on the upturned pedal bottom, driving the clip front into the ground. Never thought I could snap a steel clip before. So I always buy a couple of pairs and have them handy If I need to replace just one. They come with all metric hardware to install on any classic pedal. One version also comes with leather accents. There are also versions that are deep (taller toebox) that may help in specific situations.

https://velo-orange.com/products/mks...nt=50644751687
https://www.amazon.com/MKS-Deep-Stee...P16?th=1&psc=1

https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/node/146

Thanks for this info, I have now purchased the MKS Extra large (LL) toeclip to see if its my best option.
I did a nice ride yesterday with my Super now setup with:

SHIMANO PD-T100 CLIP-IN ROAD PEDALS CHRISTOPHE LARGE CLIPS & WHITE TOUTA STRAPS

Pretty nice fit after some pliers adjustments as recommended.
Not crazy about the vintage Sidi shoes but I improved them with a stiffer modern inserts.
The clipping in/out still need some work and may try to add some bigger kicks for easier entries.
Old 12-23-19, 07:09 AM
jrozzelle

Bikes: 1981 Team Miyata, 1987 Fuso "25th Anniversary", 1986 Liberati Professional, 1983 Trek 720, Giant TCR Comp1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Touroica 2020

Originally Posted by davester
It's happening. Touroica 2020. Peloton is currently about 6. Leaving Tuesday. Arriving Friday.
Likes For jrozzelle:
Old 12-23-19, 12:33 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by jrozzelle
It's happening. Touroica 2020. Peloton is currently about 6. Leaving Tuesday. Arriving Friday.
Nice! I'll probably be leaving Sunday and riding slower than you guys since I'm planning to arrive a day earlier. So you might pass me somewhere along the way--I'll be the guy on the white (natch) PX-10 with a big saddlebag behind. If anyone wants to exchange phone numbers ahead of time, just send me a PM.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 12-23-19, 03:19 PM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Mike from Salinas.
1984 Faggin back dated to 1980 with early Cyclone transmission, Apex cranks and whatever brakes I can dig out of the box. 14 speeds with low gears to get my heavy self down the beginner course.
This is a junk box build with a free frame. Paint work is beat and decals gone so I'm stripping it to the chrome.
I'll be staying at The Silver Surf in San Simeon. A real dump im sure based on the budget price but im not there to lay around the motel.
See you there!
Old 01-02-20, 10:20 PM
rch427

Bikes: 1965 Hetchin's, 1977 Galmozzi, 1956 Rochet, 1947 Gnome et Rhone, 1972 De Rosa, 1948 Bates B-A-R, 1989 Trevor Jarvis (Baines) "Flying Gate", etc.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
1. Robert Haines, RCH427, rch427 at yahoo.com, (4I5) 939 - 9954, San Francisco, CA
2. Route: uncertain. I'd rather not have to do the Piedras Blancas route again, but there's no way I could do the entirety of any other route. I might just do a portion of one of the others.
3. Primary Riding Bike: 1947 Gnome et Rhone. Additional Bike: 1953 Rochet veloporteur racer.
3A. New info request this year - F/R gearing: 3-speed hubs, baby! Tires and sizes: 650B How good a climber are you: pretty good on stairs; OK on ladders. Otherwise . . .
4. Planned dates of arrival and departure and Where you be staying? -- undecided. If I can find a decent, cheap B&B in Cambria, I might do that. Otherwise, camping? Either way, I'll probably come down Friday night and leave Sunday after the ride.
5. Any additional activities - Volunteering -- perhaps.

Last edited by rch427; 01-02-20 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-02-20, 10:46 PM
rch427

Bikes: 1965 Hetchin's, 1977 Galmozzi, 1956 Rochet, 1947 Gnome et Rhone, 1972 De Rosa, 1948 Bates B-A-R, 1989 Trevor Jarvis (Baines) "Flying Gate", etc.

Anyone else not happy about the "Piedras Blancas" route being repeated this year? They haven't posted the route map yet, but I presume it will be the same as last year.
Personally, I wasn't happy with the route. Having to ride alongside traffic on Hwy. 1, the constant crosswind, and not a lot of variety (and zero shade) were far from ideal, and the "point A to point B, and then back to point A" configuration is boring. I much preferred the previous year's wimpy route: lots of variety, lots of different views, a good mix of sun and shade, almost no car traffic, and it was a loop, so you never saw the same scenery twice. And the two break locations (Cass Winery and the olive oil grove) were fantastic!
Does anyone else feel the same way, or am I an outlier?
If the former, I wonder if it's possible to suggest to the organizers that they give us a different wimpy route in 2021. In the meantime, I'm going to have to figure out (once they post the maps) if I can do part of another route instead.
Old 01-02-20, 11:13 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
rch427 we have 13 weeks. The weather is not bad and you can ride yourself into shape enough to "suffer" on a shorter loop.
Old 01-03-20, 03:23 AM
rch427

Originally Posted by Classtime
rch427 we have 13 weeks. The weather is not bad and you can ride yourself into shape enough to "suffer" on a shorter loop.
er...well, it's not so much my shape that's the issue; it's more the combination of being my 56, and riding a 68 year-old bike with a 3-speed hub. There's only so much one can do with those factors.

Perhaps we should have a prize for "greatest combined age of rider and bike". I'm clocking in at 124!
Likes For rch427:
Old 01-03-20, 07:58 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
we have 13 weeks.
Is that supposed to seem like a lot or a little? :-P

It doesn't seem like that much to me right now, but I was able to get out on some decent rides from Xmas to New Years, and reading your post this morning motivated me to get out on the fat bike today, and I will be putting some pretty serious miles on my fat bike this winter to hopefully be able to pedal Eroica pretty hard, hard to say exactly what will happen till the ride is over though...

I figure I'll train up to some 6 hour fat bike rides (a half century or so on snow, yea, fatties are THAT slow) and that should be about the right fitness for Eroica. I've never signed up for a ride so early in the summer, so it'll be a bit odd for me to make sure I'll be fit enough for it.
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 01-03-20, 10:30 PM
rch427

Originally Posted by jackbombay
Is that supposed to seem like a lot or a little? :-P
Heh. Well, it seems like a lot to me. Most of the guys I see at Eroica have been 30s through 60s, riding bikes that are most commonly from the '60s through early-'80s, so my total would be higher than theirs.

Having said that: there was a Japanese guy two years ago on a single-speed from the 1910s! He was probably in his late-30s, so he might've gotten close...
Old 01-04-20, 12:26 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I'm 70, and, following two minor surgeries, rode my '64 Legnano on the "easy" PB route last year, and enjoyed every mile. My Legnano with 42/28 best gear was perfect for the PB course. I usually ride in LA traffic, and never gave the Highway 1 traffic a thought. I also rode the Legnano on the "easy" 45 mile Eroica route in 2016 and walked three hills. It was nice riding, and not walking last year. In 2017, I rode my '73 Super Course with a 32/34 best gear and walked three hills on the easy Paso Robles course. As much as I enjoyed the Legnano last year, I'm bringing the Super Course, and will take my chances on the 75 mile intermediate course. I don't ride these rides so I can walk and agree that there ought to be a middle choice for riders that enjoy riding these old bikes, but don't enjoy walking. I've been riding this Legnano for 56 years, and never walked it till Eroica, 2016.

I guess my age + '64 Legnano age add up to 126. With the '73 Super Course, it's only 117. I like those numbers better.😉

Last edited by Slightspeed; 01-04-20 at 12:42 AM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 01-04-20, 09:56 AM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by rch427
Heh. Well, it seems like a lot to me. Most of the guys I see at Eroica have been 30s through 60s, riding bikes that are most commonly from the '60s through early-'80s, so my total would be higher than theirs.

Having said that: there was a Japanese guy two years ago on a single-speed from the 1910s! He was probably in his late-30s, so he might've gotten close...
I was referring to the "13 weeks till eroica" statement, not the combined age.

My combined age will be me 46 and my Super Course 48, a measly 94 years.
Old 01-04-20, 02:04 PM
rch427

I was referring to the "13 weeks till eroica" statement, not the combined age.
Gah. My reading comprehension skills for the fail. Got it.

My combined age will be me 46 and my Super Course 48, a measly 94 years.
pfff...you're but a pair of spring chickens.
Old 01-04-20, 02:12 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Perhaps we should have a prize for "greatest combined age of rider and bike". I'm clocking in at 124!
Maybe add mileage of the ride too - handicap the guys just showing up for the parade.
Old 01-04-20, 02:17 PM
jackbombay

pfff...you're but a pair of spring chickens.
Yea, but I am signed up for the 108 mile ride and I am planning on hammering myself to pieces on the bike :-P

I was half debating removing fenders from by 63 Hercules 3 speed (700c rims and a Sturmey S5 5 speed hub in it now) so I can run larger tires and ride it, but I like my recently acquired Super Course so much that I changed my mind on bike selection.
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 01-04-20, 05:35 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
Anyone else not happy about the "Piedras Blancas" route being repeated this year? They haven't posted the route map yet, but I presume it will be the same as last year.
Personally, I wasn't happy with the route. Having to ride alongside traffic on Hwy. 1, the constant crosswind, and not a lot of variety (and zero shade) were far from ideal, and the "point A to point B, and then back to point A" configuration is boring. I much preferred the previous year's wimpy route: lots of variety, lots of different views, a good mix of sun and shade, almost no car traffic, and it was a loop, so you never saw the same scenery twice. And the two break locations (Cass Winery and the olive oil grove) were fantastic!
Does anyone else feel the same way, or am I an outlier?
If the former, I wonder if it's possible to suggest to the organizers that they give us a different wimpy route in 2021. In the meantime, I'm going to have to figure out (once they post the maps) if I can do part of another route instead.
You are not alone. I understand why they moved to Cambria but that doesn't mean that I liked it. Paso Robles was a much better venue IMO, the town itself had far more to offer in terms of lodging, food, etc. And the routes from Paso Robles were far superior.
Likes For Choke:
Old 01-06-20, 12:33 AM
rch427

About 18 months ago I saw a Medici at the local sidewalk bicycle chop-shop here in San Francisco, with two guys getting ready to start "fixing" it -- rattlecan paintjob, swapping the wheels, saddle and handlebars with another bike, etc.

I considered the options I had -- what I might be able to do to get it away from them, or alert the cops, but decided against it. They're lookouts for the local Honduran drug cartel, and as I have to walk down that sidewalk twice a day, I want to remain under their radar. And sadly, the cops won't lift a finger with these guys since the state and city both effectively decriminalized bike theft. :/ I *did* check Craigslist and the Stolen Bike Registry for anyone short one Medici, but nope -- nothing listed.
Old 01-06-20, 12:37 AM
rch427

Originally Posted by Choke
You are not alone. I understand why they moved to Cambria but that doesn't mean that I liked it. Paso Robles was a much better venue IMO, the town itself had far more to offer in terms of lodging, food, etc. And the routes from Paso Robles were far superior.
My sentiments exactly! PR has scads of places to stay, eat, drink, shop, etc., as well as great spring weather (not overly windy). And I only rode the wimpy route, but it was probably the most enjoyable road ride I have ever been on, in 40+ years of riding the open road. (I qualify it with "road ride" because I've ridden some Tweed Runs in London that were an absolute hoot.) Fantastic variety of terrain and surface, good mix of sun and shade, very few cars, so we could take advantage of the entire width of the road (try doing *that* on Hwy. 1...) And the two stopping places were fantastic. The Piedras Blancas route, OTOH, was so . . . samey.

I wonder if The Powers That Be could be swayed by a petition with lots of signatures, and a low rumble of mutiny.
Likes For rch427:
Old 01-06-20, 03:37 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,288 Times in 1,278 Posts
I have been riding Eroica California since the start and agree that Paso Robles was special. I always do the short route with my friend Rich and , yes , the PR route with stops at Cass and Olea were really ideal. The route was definitely more challenging than Cambria to PiedrasBlancas lighthouse. I expect this year to be better as far as certain elements , but I think the ride up the coast and back again will be fine. If you do the whole ride as a lot don’t , it should be good. Towards the end we toured the moonstone beach and did the climb up the hill to take the back road intoCambria . We noticed a lot did not and rode into town the way we left. To each , their own. Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.