Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Quarantine shop cleaning/organizing challenge

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-20, 06:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts

Now that a good part of the country is staying home for the near future, we're all looking for something to do related to our hobby.

There's a Quarantine build challenge.

Taking one look at l'Atelier, I thought of another. Show your before pics of your messy shop, clean it up,do all that organizing you've been puttiing off, and post after pics.

For some reason I have three bikes with front flats. Big Red needs some love. Might find some pedals for it while I'm at it.

Here's my pile of tubes that need patching.

This is actually one of the least messy parts of my shop.

I'll try and knock off an area at a time.
Old 03-23-20, 07:17 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
An excellent idea! But somehow I seem to have even less time right now with preparing for online meetings, participating in online meetings, and then dealing with the 15 emails I received during the online meeting.
Old 03-23-20, 07:45 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
Same as nlerner . We have gone to 100% Telework and I have taken the extra time savings (2.5 hours) in the morning to sleep in. I did manage to get some clean up after making a mess trying to solve my chain line problem.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...aper-only.html
Old 03-23-20, 07:46 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by nlerner
An excellent idea! But somehow I seem to have even less time right now with preparing for online meetings, participating in online meetings, and then dealing with the 15 emails I received during the online meeting.
Same here, upper managers suddenly have nothing to manage, so they've decided to micromanage. **** rolls downhill.

My manager decided, on a whim, to have a meeting with his 40 or so chain of command. We all obediently called in at 11:45. He wanted to make sure we were taking the time to get out and exercise, be with our loved ones, eat lunch, and take a break. Ironically my wife texted me from downstairs to ask if I wanted to go on a walk.

I asked a VP in a call this morning if the rumors were true that our Bay Area branch was reopening for limited operations. He said we were, but didn't have details. Later I asked the manager in the Bay Area that is supposed to be our organization's representative for his COVID-19 local response team. He didn't have more details. Finally I just called the guy doing my job in the Bay Area, he had all the details.

More and more I'm feeling like we're all on our own. Kate Brown is our governor, she's hemming and hawing about every decision. Cuomo she ain't. Some news was supposed to come out on Friday, they pushed out till Monday morning. Monday morning became this afternoon. Finally the PDF came out, 7 pages long written in lawyerese. Had to wait for a translation from our lawyers to see if our lab was still open. Right now they say we are.

Neal, just put your Outlook schedule on busy for a few hours, leave the phone upstairs, and put a few hours into your man cave. No one will notice. Whatever decisions they make will be rescinded tomorrow.
Old 03-23-20, 08:58 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Would love to do this, but have less time now, than when I was In the office.

I'm WFH until at least April 24, and I suspect It will drift into may.

Hoping things simmer down - I'm managing a now remote team of 5 people and there have been a lot of hiccups.

Last week was crazy, this week is better. Know what you mean about the V and C level cooking up projects.

My shop certainly needs some love, at least I can take some before pics for motivation.

EDIT: added before pic - looks like this virus thing could last months.

Need to repair the fluorescent light above the bench, and then find homes for a bunch of stuff. 3 of 4 bikes need work, so it will be good to get organized.

Last edited by thinktubes; 04-05-20 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-23-20, 09:02 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 637 Posts
Been working from home for years, so not much change there. Cutting to the chase... I'm in.
Old 03-23-20, 09:16 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
I'm definitely feeling in limbo about projects. I had a few bikes and frames that I was planning to sell this spring, but the economic situation screams that I wait. Then I had one project that needs to be stripped down and sent to the powder coater, but as of today, that's a non-essential MA business, i.e., closed. Another project is at a local frame builder being modified into a travel bike with couplers, but he's likely also closed (though that might mean he has more time to do the work on my frame? Handing it off to me might be the challenge). Most realistic build is a new frame on order from China, and just bought a groupset for that one to be shipped from the UK. So I've amassed various piles of parts for or from these projects, which clutter my workspace. Hmm, somehow this situation is not freeing up my time or my shop!
Old 03-23-20, 09:48 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
OK Gugie,
You are on! There are two shops in this mess, one for golf, and one for bikes. I am totally up for your challenge, but you got to get a bit messier to beat me! Before pics:

mix of tools and parts

just clutter

more clutter

top of my work bench

golf tools and more clutter

down draft table and golf tools with bike clutter
Old 03-24-20, 04:13 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Now that a good part of the country is staying home.......

Squire, those files caught my eye. I'm not sure what those ball shaped handles are but mine are similar. Around here it seems the neighbors have no concept of private property so they like to hit golf balls onto our patch. Several neighbors. Wierd, but I've got lots of golf balls and do not play that game myself. But drill a 1/4" hole into the center and hammer them onto the tang of a file and they hold very well. They feel good in the hand too. Cheap and durable to.
Old 03-24-20, 06:29 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
I salvaged 20 sqft of floor space, and this white elephant swung down from the rafters. Well intentioned exorbitant gift from last year for me and the boy. He's stuck home from first grade and has out grown the trailer, so the time is now...

Next on the list is another 32 sqft under the plywood storage bench.

Last edited by bark_eater; 03-24-20 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-24-20, 07:16 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
@gugie. Great idea! You should have seen what I got rid of last summer during my epic.....”I doubt I’ll ever have a use for this” C & V garage clean out & donation trips to a bike co-op.
Old 03-24-20, 07:28 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Holy crap! I thought that I was a little “messy”...check out my threads...another hours worth of cutting and I can move another six bikes up off the floor to recover some lost real estate!
Old 03-24-20, 07:32 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Yup...

Originally Posted by bark_eater
I salvaged 20 sqft of floor space, and this white elephant swung down from the rafters. Well intentioned exorbitant gift from last year for me and the boy. He's stuck home from first grade and has out grown the trailer, so the time is now...

Next on the list is another 32 sqft under the plywood storage bench.

Yup...it’s just like that! I built a second “story” to claim some space under the “numbers!”
Old 03-24-20, 07:39 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
I haven't visualized what to do with the full sheets of plywood yet. I may end up ripping them length wise and living with a half sheet crap collector.
Old 03-24-20, 07:46 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I doubt anyone can top my 1200 sq ft MESS. I put a video up on my FB page. Anyway, I am emptying it for a remodel and make it into our family home.

I am moving to smaller space, so I am donating off a lot of parts.

The smaller space was already full, so I am clearing it out too.
Old 03-24-20, 08:28 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Here's the before: I also have one other room with bikes in it. You see no tools because I have another area in the warehouse where I repair pneumatic air tools. I'm lucky in that this is at my office/warehouse instead of my house. I still have 2 more rooms to expand.

Last edited by seypat; 03-24-20 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-24-20, 08:43 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Prowler
Squire, those files caught my eye. I'm not sure what those ball shaped handles are but mine are similar. Around here it seems the neighbors have no concept of private property so they like to hit golf balls onto our patch. Several neighbors. Wierd, but I've got lots of golf balls and do not play that game myself. But drill a 1/4" hole into the center and hammer them onto the tang of a file and they hold very well. They feel good in the hand too. Cheap and durable to.
Found these on the interwebs, cheap, but not free like yours!
Old 03-24-20, 10:05 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Didn't take any before pics, it was pretty horrendous. I'd had it somewhat clean for me, which means a disaster when a friend asked if I could make them a crib. I dropped working on the chairs and built them one before walking away from the shop for the fall and winter; just haven't had the urge to do anything nor the time for the most part. To get here I filled the shop vac twice and threw out 5 bags of random garbage. I decided since I moved in almost 3 years ago if I hadn't used it or put it away in that time then I didn't need it and decluttered a lot. The blue bin is all hand planes, a couple in there are complete and intact and just need to be put back in their drawer, 6 in there need cleaning, sharpening and rebuilding which I might not get to any time soon.

I've been discussing with the church opening up a bicycle clinic to fix up and give away bikes; this will be the main location but working on having it circulate among the churches on Long Island in part due to a lack of space. The church I'm at can store about 40 bikes to be fixed in one spot, store another 20 fixed bikes in another and with the stands there's room in the shop to repair 3-4 at once, just need bases for the stands. and a couple of work horses or something similar.

The overloaded work bench is all cycling tools and those are a pair of park repair stands to get things started, I should be fine for tools to begin with but need to get some portable repair stands for going to the churches.

Old 03-24-20, 03:30 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
gugie

You must be joking,

I had to clear out a build space in the not so crap filled basement for the current project and quickly managed to make that mess even bigger.

Very close to the completion of it so returning all the tools to the rollaway at the center of the mothermess in the garage and taking down the temporary workbenches will fix this some.

I am still on the hook at the hospital which is getting scarier by the minute, talk about the right and left hand not knowing S**T.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-24-20, 03:56 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 217 Posts
Here’s a workbench in a shop I was in last year that could use any energy you might have when you are done with your own organizing...

Old 03-24-20, 03:58 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 217 Posts
As while I was uploading the photo, I boiled over the beer that was on the stove. D’oh! Rookie mistake!
Old 03-24-20, 06:32 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
On eBay I got a bulk deal on 6" pegboard hangers. 4" would have been better, but I do like not having tools fall off when I stack multiple copies of them or grab an adjacent tool, so this is an improvement over my more typical shorter ones. The "new toys" are motivating me to organize at least the tool hanging and bike parts hanging walls of the garage.

I am in the same position as some of you, working my tail off. I already worked from home 2-3 days/week, and now I am busy converting three of my courses to 100% online format for spring quarter. One of my other classes already was online, and I have picked up an additional online class to teach, bring the total to 5 for the quarter. No rest for the wicked! I am not complaining in the least -- during the 2008-09 downturn I lost my job as well as a significant part of my nest egg. This time I at least have a paycheck, making me thankful I did not opt for early -- or "on time" -- retirement.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Last edited by John E; 03-24-20 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-24-20, 06:46 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Same! I have gotten a little bit of time back by not having to commute, so there's that.
Likes For tricky:
Old 03-24-20, 07:18 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Same here.

I now know more about Google Classroom, Zoom, Seesaw and Google Drive than I ever thought possible.

By Monday, I'll be hosting Zoom math sessions for about 100 middle schoolers. Good luck keeping them off their phones.

I'll get some pics of the basement shop cooking in the next day or so.
Likes For gomango:
Old 03-24-20, 07:43 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority, I'm laid off after Wednesday. My shop space is open studs so I might put in some insulation and plywood walls.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.