Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Octalink history??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Octalink history??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-20, 05:46 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Octalink history??

Tell me when they came about and why they seem to be a thing of the past.
Thanks!
Old 04-25-20, 05:55 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Octalink is proprietary to Shimano and I think it came out in late 1990s or early 2000s. I bought a road bike in 2003 that had Octalink. The interface between the BB spindle and crank was much better compared to the square taper it replaced. And it probably reduced the weight of the spindle. Octalink died when the 'next best thing' came out, external BB bearings, which allowed for a much stiffer BB and an even larger diameter BB spindle. Then that of course was dead when they came out with pressed in BBs.........

There's nothing wrong with Octalink, it just means you're probably mating it to a 8 or 9 speed drivetrain, which in itself is not bad, but now there's 11 and 12......
Old 04-25-20, 06:00 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
The dust caps were an ingenious thing that extracted the cranks. If you're buying a crank, make sure those dust caps, and especially the threads are in good shape.
Old 04-25-20, 09:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
One issue with the OS spindled BBs that also hade their bearings internal to the BB shell was the tiny balls it took to not grow the BB OD beyond the shell's ID. Bearing loads are relative to the rolling element's diameters. So 11 .250" balls have about 4 times the load capacity as 22 .125" balls do. Add that the smaller seals often didn't do their jobs well (just like tapered square ones) and you can see why some of these BB's didn't last as long as tapered square ones. Many of us shop wrenches saw these as a solution seeking a problem. There's a reason why tapered square has lasted the test of many decades and these OS spindled but inside the shell BBs haven't. Andy
Old 04-26-20, 05:01 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
I agree with Andy on the reduced service life of the Octalink bottom brackets and their cousin, the ISIS bottom bracket standard. Both sought to improve the interface between the crank arm and the spindle, while increasing the spindle diameter and making it hollow. The crank arm/spindle interface was an improvement, but the tiny bearings required by the larger spindle were not very durable or tolerant of contaminants. As a result, they usually had a very short service life.
Old 04-26-20, 06:40 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Thanks! My continuing education continues!!
Old 04-26-20, 06:45 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
I believe that 1997 with 9 speed Dura Ace is where it started and filtered down as is Shimano's MOA after that.
Old 04-26-20, 06:49 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Tell me when they came about and why they seem to be a thing of the past.
Thanks!
FYI...there are two different version of Octalink floating around. v1 and v2. Make sure you do not mix them up. Andy already said the rest:

https://www.modernbike.com/bottom-br...talink-v1isyes
https://www.modernbike.com/shimano-o...ottom-brackets

Similarly...there's also 2 versions of Hollowtech cranks.....one that used Octalink BBs IIRC, and the other one everyone knows todays as their spindle-crank
Old 04-26-20, 07:07 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
The dust caps were an ingenious thing that extracted the cranks. If you're buying a crank, make sure those dust caps, and especially the threads are in good shape.
Self-extracting crank bolts far proceeded Octalink cranks and were provided on several square taper cranks and sold as an aftermarket part. Also, only Ultegra and Dura Ace Octalink cranks had self-extracting bolts. 105 Octalink cranks had standard fixing bolts and required a crank puller.

​​​​​​
I agree with Andy on the reduced service life of the Octalink bottom brackets and their cousin, the ISIS bottom bracket standard.

While both Octalink and ISIS bottom brackets shared the necessity for smaller bearings, don't confuse the two designs. Shimano's Octalink bottom brackets were well made and generally had a good service life. I had them on two bikes and they lasted tens of thousands of miles and were still in good working order when replaced for other reasons. ISIS was designed to get around Shimano's Octalink patent and was made public domain. Therefore, ISIS bottom bracket were made by numerous manufactures in a wide variety of quality levels, mostly poor and subject to early failure. It's those ISIS bottom brackets that gave the whole concept its bad name.

That said, it was indeed external bottom brackets with their inherently larger bearings and somewhat reduced weight that made Octalink/ISIS obsolete.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 04-26-20, 07:14 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Similarly...there's also 2 versions of Hollowtech cranks.....one that used Octalink BBs IIRC, and the other one everyone knows todays as their spindle-crank
Actually 3 as there is also HT I which has hollow arms and square taper.
https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gui...kset-M510,9589
Old 04-26-20, 12:43 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Self-extracting crank bolts far proceeded Octalink cranks and were provided on several square taper cranks and sold as an aftermarket part. Also, only Ultegra and Dura Ace Octalink cranks had self-extracting bolts. 105 Octalink cranks had standard fixing bolts and required a crank puller.

​​​​​​
While both Octalink and ISIS bottom brackets shared the necessity for smaller bearings, don't confuse the two designs. Shimano's Octalink bottom brackets were well made and generally had a good service life. I had them on two bikes and they lasted tens of thousands of miles and were still in good working order when replaced for other reasons. ISIS was designed to get around Shimano's Octalink patent and was made public domain. Therefore, ISIS bottom bracket were made by numerous manufactures in a wide variety of quality levels, mostly poor and subject to early failure. It's those ISIS bottom brackets that gave the whole concept its bad name.

That said, it was indeed external bottom brackets with their inherently larger bearings and somewhat reduced weight that made Octalink/ISIS obsolete.
Yes, Octal-ink (splined) held up MUCH better than ISIS. In my experience, they work as well as square tapers. Maybe ST does last longer, but honestly they both last long enough that it is a non-issue IMO. I have many years of use on one set of Octalinks on both Road bikes and MTBs.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-26-20, 12:57 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Yes, Octal-ink (splined) held up MUCH better than ISIS. In my experience, they work as well as square tapers. Maybe ST does last longer, but honestly they both last long enough that it is a non-issue IMO. I have many years of use on one set of Octalinks on both Road bikes and MTBs.
Depends on the unit. There were some that lasted amazingly well AKA decades.....

And on the other end of the spectrum, units like Campagnolo's AC-H, that would feel like gravel in no time on even a fair-weather-only bike.
Old 04-26-20, 01:07 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Depends on the unit. There were some that lasted amazingly well AKA decades.....

And on the other end of the spectrum, units like Campagnolo's AC-H, that would feel like gravel in no time on even a fair-weather-only bike.
Good point. Whereas all the Octalink splines were all Shimano, (and decent quality), square taper, being an open standard, could be from anybody with widely varying quality.
Old 04-26-20, 04:54 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
shimano made this one and the next to keep the competition from making parts for their groups. If the Octalink was a good idea it would still exist. It died because they made an error like the 10 speed hubs with inboard drive side bearings.
Old 04-26-20, 06:40 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by davidad
shimano made this one and the next to keep the competition from making parts for their groups. If the Octalink was a good idea it would still exist. It died because they made an error like the 10 speed hubs with inboard drive side bearings.
By that logic, anything that is not the current standard was a bad idea.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-26-20, 06:43 PM
davidad

By that logic, anything that is not the current standard was a bad idea.
Just a fact of life kind of logic. There goes rule number 2.
Old 04-26-20, 07:07 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Just a fact of life kind of logic. There goes rule number 2.
I have no idea what you are talking about.

By your logic, incandescent bike lights and NiCad batteries were a bad idea because they have been replaced with LEDs.and Li ion.

3 piece Octalink was well regarded when it came out. Enough so that a bunch of other companies tried to copy it with ISIS. And it stuck around for a long time. I was only phased out by external BBs, not by a desire to go back to square taper or ISIS.
Old 04-26-20, 07:57 PM
davidad

I have no idea what you are talking about.

By your logic, incandescent bike lights and NiCad batteries were a bad idea because they have been replaced with LEDs.and Li ion.

3 piece Octalink was well regarded when it came out. Enough so that a bunch of other companies tried to copy it with ISIS. And it stuck around for a long time. I was only phased out by external BBs, not by a desire to go back to square taper or ISIS.
Bean counters run the bike industry; therefore new and improved at every opportunity
How does batteries and bulbs compare to bicycles. Look up ten good rules and rule number two..
Old 04-26-20, 08:23 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bean counters run the bike industry; therefore new and improved at every opportunity
How does batteries and bulbs compare to bicycles. Look up ten good rules and rule number two..
Thanks, but I am not running around the internet trying to decipher someone’s cryptic references.
Old 04-26-20, 08:38 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Shimano is well known for shifting the goal line when competition is catching up. they have employed a patent search "department" and will change small details to have new ones issued, or just borrowed expired ones as suited their needs. This is nothing new in business but Shimano is exceptionally good and well equipped doing this. As they won the OEM spec battle with first SunTour then SRAM for many years they, pretty much, wrote the book on frame specs for a very long time. I do give them credit for also having components that work rather well the majority of the time. Still their rep for being the 500lb gorilla is well earned.

Here's my two click search for rule 2. https://acd-ext.gsfc.nasa.gov/People...ten_rules.html I could have stopped at one click but wanted to check one more site. Don't know if this is what David is referencing but I think it is good advice just the same. Andy
Old 04-26-20, 08:41 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
"Bean counters" run nearly every industry. That's how they assure they stay in business.

Batteries and bulbs are technical devices subject to improvements and changes just like bicycles.
Old 04-27-20, 08:04 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
FYI...there are two different version of Octalink floating around. v1 and v2. Make sure you do not mix them up. Andy already said the rest:
This dawned on me a few months ago. I have a nice road bike (new in 2001) with an Octalink v1 BB cartridge. It has a little over 7,000 miles on it and is as smooth as when it was new. But... I knew it wouldn't last forever, and then I'd have to fit a new crankset. I happen to really like the Ultegra crankset I have, and I do *not* like the appearance of the current generation (or what I hear about some of them falling apart).
Luckily, I was able to source an original replacement; there were 2 (TWO!) left at the time of purchase. At least I now have essentially a lifetime supply.

Ultegra 3 x 9
Old 04-27-20, 08:22 AM
davidad

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Shimano is well known for shifting the goal line when competition is catching up. they have employed a patent search "department" and will change small details to have new ones issued, or just borrowed expired ones as suited their needs. This is nothing new in business but Shimano is exceptionally good and well equipped doing this. As they won the OEM spec battle with first SunTour then SRAM for many years they, pretty much, wrote the book on frame specs for a very long time. I do give them credit for also having components that work rather well the majority of the time. Still their rep for being the 500lb gorilla is well earned.

Here's my two click search for rule 2. https://acd-ext.gsfc.nasa.gov/People...ten_rules.html I could have stopped at one click but wanted to check one more site. Don't know if this is what David is referencing but I think it is good advice just the same. Andy
In the version I saw no. 10 is no. 1.
Old 04-27-20, 08:49 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart

“Admire nothing”?

Stupid advice, IMO.

Cynicism is a sign of laziness, not intelligence.
Old 04-27-20, 09:32 AM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Most people who use or used Octalink cranks/bb's were very pleased with them, because they were well made and durable. Shimano did a very good job with their Octalink products. This was also the first generation of Hollowtech cranks from Shimano, and they generally did a very good job with that element of the design as well.

ISIS cranks/bb's as already stated, generally did suffer from poor execution of the design, and durability was generally not good.

The buzz in the bike world when big companies like Shimano went to market with outboard bearing crank/bb systems was that Bullseye's patent for this type of design had expired. This was in the early 2000's. (I believe the patent was from the late '80's or early '90's, not sure).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.