Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Noob with GT triple triangle frame questions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-20, 02:45 PM
aae.kae

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey there!
Glad to find a community of knowledgable bike folks!

You guys probably have a specific page for introductions and commonly ask questions, but I feel like this may not be a commonly ask question.
I am (almost) a total beginner when it comes to building bikes, but my vintage Motobecane Prestige is finally kaputt and I want to build a "dream" bike to replace it.

I live in Berlin and need a beefy/durable/versatile city bike. I have seen a few 90s GT frames around the city that have been modified to be commuter bikes and I think I want to take a similar route. Ive been trying to do a little research but it hasnt been too fruitful, I wonder if you guys/gals could help me sort out some details...

What are the specific differences between the various frames like the Outpost, Force, Edge, Pantera, Zaskar... or maybe you have other recommendations. Im interested in 90s frames specifically and would like to know about weight differences, abilities to attach front or rear racks, and abilities for modifications into better components. Maybe I could take a more common and cheaper frame here in Berlin like the Outpost and add premium components to make a relatively light and versatile city bike for getting groceries and also getting dirty.

I found a GT Zaskar frame (polished aluminum look) stirpped down but with Chris King headset, eidgid fork and Ritchey stem and bars for 275 euro. Sound like a good deal? I would post photos or a link but the forum wont let me haha

Im open to any and all ideas!
Thanks in advance for your input

-AK

Last edited by aae.kae; 05-08-20 at 03:45 PM. Reason: new info
Old 05-08-20, 03:34 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 782 Posts
I have adapted two GTs for city/commuter duty, one was a Karakoram and before that a Talera which was stolen from the guy who bought it from me. Both were steel, neither are super lightweights but both had better than stock wheelsets and rear racks, they are quite nice daily riders. My only qualm with the GTs I have worked with is the tortured under TT cable routing that crams all cables into a small channel for no other purpose than "that's how GT does it", AFAIK. But it's a small complaint. If I can find pix I will update with some.

found one pic of the Karakoram Kommuter, non original rigid fork, Mavic wheelset with skinny-ish slick tires

Last edited by unworthy1; 05-09-20 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-08-20, 03:59 PM
aae.kae

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
I have adapted two GTs for city/commuter duty, one was a Karakoram and before that a Talera which was stolen from the guy who bought it from me. Both were steel, neither are super lightweights but both had better than stock wheelsets and rear racks, they are quite nice daily riders. My only qualm with the GTs I have worked with is the tortured under TT cable routing that crams all cables into a small channel for no other purpose than "that's how GT does it", AFAIK. But it's a small complaint. If I can find pix I will update with some.
Thanks for the reply! I found a late 90's polished aluminum Zaskar frame with chris king headset and bars for 275, but maybe i can talk the guy down. Does it sound like a decent price to you? It looks like this model in good shape here in Berlin go for 600 to 800 euro... I could PM you a link and maybe you could tell me if it looks like a good price?
Old 05-08-20, 04:35 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,248 Times in 1,308 Posts
Since you want to make a commuter out of it, I wouldn't recommend a Zaskar, which is an aluminum race bike with no fender or rack eyelets. Something midrange like a steel Karakoram would work better.

If you're curious about GT model hierarchies, there's a lot of catalogs on Retrobike.
Catalogues | GT Archive | Retrobike
Likes For Clang:
Old 05-08-20, 05:27 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by aae.kae
Thanks for the reply! I found a late 90's polished aluminum Zaskar frame with chris king headset and bars for 275, but maybe i can talk the guy down. Does it sound like a decent price to you? It looks like this model in good shape here in Berlin go for 600 to 800 euro... I could PM you a link and maybe you could tell me if it looks like a good price?
I have no idea what things cost in Berlin, but a vintage Zaskar frame in perfect shape here in Seattle (a pricier US bike market) might cost max $200 but more likely $150. He's probably trying to upcharge for the King headset.

But, yeah, the Zaskar doesn't have any attachments for racks or fenders. The Force and Edge are in the same boat since they are road bikes that can only fit skinny tires.
Old 05-08-20, 05:41 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
I have a friend who loves his Tequesta set up as a commuter.