Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing Altus derailer on a Raleigh Cadent - worth an upgrade?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-12-20, 03:19 AM
Fallingwater
Shadetree wrencher

Bikes: Raleigh Cadent FT0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My main ride is a Raleigh Cadent FT0 with its original Shimano Altus derailer.

A while ago the bike was vandalised and the derailer and hanger were both bent. A LBS replaced the hanger and unbent the derailer, but warned me that there was now play in its movement from the damage it had sustained and it would shift badly - which is indeed the case.

I've finally grown tired of all the shifting troubles I've been having since that day and decided to replace the derailer with a new one. I can get an Altus RD-M310DL on Amazon (which looks exactly like the one the bike currently has) for €14. I can also get an Acera RD-M360 for €21. The price difference is not large and according to what I'm reading Acera stuff is one rung upward from Altus in the quality department. Realistically, would I notice any difference between the new (and properly working) Altus and the Acera?

Also, is there any difference between the Altus RD-M310 and the M310DL? I can't find the non-DL on my local Amazon and most other stores can't seem to make up their mind over which model they have (is there even any difference at all?).

Last edited by Fallingwater; 06-12-20 at 03:23 AM.
Old 06-12-20, 03:48 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Fallingwater
My main ride is a Raleigh Cadent FT0 with its original Shimano Altus derailer.

A while ago the bike was vandalised and the derailer and hanger were both bent. A LBS replaced the hanger and unbent the derailer, but warned me that there was now play in its movement from the damage it had sustained and it would shift badly - which is indeed the case.

I've finally grown tired of all the shifting troubles I've been having since that day and decided to replace the derailer with a new one. I can get an Altus RD-M310DL on Amazon (which looks exactly like the one the bike currently has) for €14. I can also get an Acera RD-M360 for €21. The price difference is not large and according to what I'm reading Acera stuff is one rung upward from Altus in the quality department. Realistically, would I notice any difference between the new (and properly working) Altus and the Acera?

Also, is there any difference between the Altus RD-M310 and the M310DL? I can't find the non-DL on my local Amazon and most other stores can't seem to make up their mind over which model they have (is there even any difference at all?).
They all work.
Old 06-12-20, 05:37 AM
Fallingwater
Shadetree wrencher

Bikes: Raleigh Cadent FT0

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hermanchauw
They all work.
I'm aware. What I'm trying to figure out is if the Acera works perceptively better.
Old 06-12-20, 05:50 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Fallingwater
I'm aware. What I'm trying to figure out is if the Acera works perceptively better.
Brand new, you might not notice much difference, but the Acera might prove better and more durable a few years down the line. Probably worth the small difference in price
Old 06-12-20, 07:00 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The big point of difference between adjacent models in Shimano's line up is, IMO, between the Tourney and the Altus. Basic construction, pulley and design are rather different. But between the Altus and the Acera these are fairly minor, some material and finish but the basic design remains. Having said that I have rarely experienced a customer who decided to "up grade" and later regretted it. Andy
Old 06-12-20, 07:14 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
We've had, and have, bikes with various generations of both, and all work perfectly well when drivetrain maintenance is done regularly.
As mentioned, one step up is generally slightly better materials, so worth the small extra money if you plan to ride and keep the bike over the years.
Old 06-12-20, 07:39 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
How thin can you slice the baloney? At what point does a rainbow change from red to orange?

Shimano makes bicycle components in so many price ranges that I can't keep track of them all. The high end ones really are nicer than the cheapies. They make so many variations, however, that nobody I know can tell one from the next functionally if they go up or down only one component group.

Price is another matter. Performance improvement is pretty much a straight line. The price increase line is exponential. Everybody has a different idea of where the performance improvement isn't worth the price increase anymore.
Old 06-12-20, 08:15 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
As you go up the food chain, DER's are designed for "more speeds", resulting in narrower cages.
Stick with a DER designed for the #speeds you have.
Did you ever have problems with your current RDER before the vandalism?