Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

damaged mavic aksium wheelset

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20, 09:05 AM
cboyne

Bikes: Bianchi and Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Someone just gave me a mavic aksium wheelset that had been replaced because of damage to the front wheel. The story from the previous owner: something fell off a high shelf in the garage and landed on the wheel and made it 'oval'. He took the wheel to his LSB (high-end road bike kind of place) and they were able to fix the wheel. Maybe a year later the wheel came out of true just a little- minor in my opinion and the previous owner took the wheel back to the same LSB and they told him that they could true the wheel but it has so much tension in it from the previous repair that though they could it fix it this time they could probably never fix it again. So instead of having the wheel trued, the previous owner bought a very expensive pair of carbon wheels and has now given the mavic's to me.

Does this story make a lot of sense to anyone? Could a badly damaged wheel have so much 'tension' in it post repair that the wheel could no longer effectively be repaired? And if so, would the wheel be dangerous to ride in its current condition?

I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks.
Old 06-29-20, 10:34 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Front wheels are cheap.
I once folded a front wheel sprinting, I can't recommend the experience.
I really wish I'd have a warning prior to the failure.

If you have reason to distrust any wheel, please don't trust the opinion of others on the internet.

All the best

Barry
Old 06-29-20, 10:38 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Makes sense, if the rim was bent, more and uneven spoke tension is needed to pull it back into line.

From the bike shop's end, they don't want to promise more than they can deliver.

At worst, could result in broken spokes or cracks at the spoke holes. Ride it as is, or have it trued with the understanding that it may not get, or stay perfect.