Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant Fastroad SL 1 different specs in different markets?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20, 06:34 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts

Has anyone noticed that the Giant Fastroad SL 1 has different specs in different markets, according to the website?

I am in South Korea, and the local website has the Fastroad SL1 with an S-R2 wheelset with 12mm thru-axles an alloy d-fuse seatpost and puncture protect tires. The UK version has virtually identical specs, except for the 12mm thru-axle, but that may be a small oversight. If you look at the Australian site though, the hubs and spokes are said to be the same as those of the Fastroad SL 2, with only the rims being different. The Australian site has the SL 1 bike with a composite seatpost and the SL 2 bike with an alloy seatpost, as well, while the UK and Korean SL 1 versions supposedly have alloy seatposts, just the same as their SL 2 counterparts. The Australian version also has different tires to the SL 2. There is also a difference in the stems (contact vs. sport) between the UK, Korean and Aussie bikes.

Does anyone know if it's a problem with the websites, or if the same models of Giant bikes are actually sold with different components in different markets? Also, does anyone know if the S-R2 wheelset has sealed cartridge bearings or if they're cup and cone?

Edit: This is based on the 2020 Giant Fastroad Sl 1 and SL 2 models, compared using the "compare" feature on the respective Giant websites. I'm interested in buying a bike here in Korea, but was looking at the bike on the Australian website, before I noticed the discrepancies between the models. All of this may change in the 2021 models, but now I'm genuinely interested to see if Giant sells different versions of the same model in different markets.

Last edited by PDKL45; 07-09-20 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-09-20, 07:08 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Yes, bikes often differ from one global market to the next. It could be based on local trends, marketing, supply chain logistics, etc.