Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

RD needs frequent readjustment

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-12-20, 11:35 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 68 Posts

So this is a new one on me... I have a newish Giant Roam 1 that probably has a bit over 1000km on it by now. Every few rides I need to adjust the collar at the shifter a few clicks to get the shifting back on track. I've run out of adjustment room twice and had to adjust the cable at the RD to give me back some adjustment room. I'm about to do this for the 3rd time now.

Here's the new to me part, I'm running out adjustment on the tight end, as if the shifter cable keeps getting shorter. When I adjust the cable at the RD I let out ~4-5mm of slack. I've went through it a bunch of times. Everything seems properly seated and tight. It's not a huge deal but I'm baffled as to what might be going on. Any ideas?
Old 07-13-20, 01:44 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_M
So this is a new one on me... I have a newish Giant Roam 1 that probably has a bit over 1000km on it by now. Every few rides I need to adjust the collar at the shifter a few clicks to get the shifting back on track. I've run out of adjustment room twice and had to adjust the cable at the RD to give me back some adjustment room. I'm about to do this for the 3rd time now.

Here's the new to me part, I'm running out adjustment on the tight end, as if the shifter cable keeps getting shorter. When I adjust the cable at the RD I let out ~4-5mm of slack. I've went through it a bunch of times. Everything seems properly seated and tight. It's not a huge deal but I'm baffled as to what might be going on. Any ideas?
Maybe there's a cable stop moving when you turn the handlebars? It could be that it's slowly moving outwards and has enough friction to overcome the derailleur spring.

I've never seen anything like that, but I'm unable to come with a better idea. Cable slipping is one thing, but it becoming shorter is really strange.
Old 07-13-20, 04:16 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Crappy Inner stretching? Crappy outer with the inner sawing through the liner on curves. Crappy outer with the inner going between the longitudinal wires on curves. Crappy ferrules allowing the longitudinal outer wires to slide down inside the end. All of the above?
For a start I'd replace both with quality. Mandrel drawn stainless inner. Reinforced outers. Like a Jagwire Pro or Elite kit.
Old 07-13-20, 04:50 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I would suggest checking for cable fraying, especially inside the shifter. Catching it before the head breaks off makes the repair MUCH easier.
Old 07-13-20, 08:13 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I would suggest checking for cable fraying, especially inside the shifter. Catching it before the head breaks off makes the repair MUCH easier.
+1. I would check this first and before you do any more riding. Make sure the shifter is in the smallest sprocket position when you check at the shifter. Also check to make sure the cable housing is fully seated at all the stop points (Fully inserted in the shifter body and housing stops along the frame).
Old 08-10-20, 07:37 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 68 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. Sorry I'm so late posting an update - life happens. I noticed one day when cleaning my bike when replacing the rear wheel that tightening the skewer changed the RD position. I'd been chasing a creaking for a while and played with the rear skewer tension and it wasn't very tight. Turned out cleaning and a light grease on the removable dropout fixed the creaking issue... and retightening the skewer fixed the weird shifting issue. Sorry to waste your time on a problem that I created in the first place.
Old 08-10-20, 08:07 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 2,159 Times in 1,319 Posts
Never a waste of time, especially when it is something out of the ordinary that was solved.

John
Likes For 70sSanO: