Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Will running help my cycling?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Will running help my cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-14, 10:24 AM
THSdrummer

Bikes: '12 CAAD10 3, '88 Raleigh Talon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a runner at a college who gets to ride occasionally (if I had my way, I'd ride way more often...).

Running has certainly helped me. Granted, I don't know how my cycling would be without running, but because of running I have a higher cardio redline on the bike and I can put out more miles. As you might speculate, my power output is low. You'd be correct. I can spin for hours, but when it comes to power output, I'm not your man. Maintaining a good cardio level with running would certainly allow you to spin or go longer on the bike. I have a friend who has been apart of multiple state title winning cross country squads, and now she smashes CX races landing on the podium more often than not.

Although, I did capture a hill segment KoM away from a large panel of cyclists. I have always been one of the larger distance runners on which ever team I've been apart of (legs and upper body wise).
Old 02-10-14, 08:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably. If it helps you lose body fat, definitely.
Old 02-10-14, 08:58 PM
Salmosebago

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Scott R1, Scott Spark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The way I figure it, anything that gets you sweating and heart rate up is good - read into that what you will If you like an activity you'll do it more and get more benefit from it. I'm doing a fair amount of nordic/skate skiing this winter and LOVE it. Climbing on skate skis is a lot of fun and can really peg my heart rate. Going to be interesting to see if it makes a difference once the frost heaves flatten out! Running seems to help my cardio and helps with winter weight issues. Skiing and beer go together too well!
Old 02-10-14, 09:04 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Great runners have excellent weight/body mass ratio. Strong legs and strong core. Good runners run with proper posture, strong back, shoulders. How can running not help you cycle?

Pros don't just cycle. They do cross-fit and run on other days. Working on muscles that you don't normally strengthen while cycling is always a good thing.

You probably already know this, but stretching will help too. Been watching some presentations from Pro cyclists, all of them have so far said, they spend a lot of time on their off days stretching.
Old 02-10-14, 09:27 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
Pros don't just cycle. They do cross-fit and run on other days. Working on muscles that you don't normally strengthen while cycling is always a good thing.
Which pros do cross-fit? Most pros ride every day and when they aren't riding they're not running.
Old 02-10-14, 10:03 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Which pros do cross-fit? Most pros ride every day and when they aren't riding they're not running.
I'd expect them all to do that. Just riding and only riding would be stupid. Especially considering race season is quite short. It's common sense to do weight training, cross fit during the off season, unless you want to lose.
Old 02-10-14, 10:21 PM
halfbiked
dangerous with tools

Bikes: fat, long, single & fast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish?

Running can help with cardio and metabolic conditioning (how long can you go at 100%? / how long does it take you to recover from going 95% for 1 minute?), but won't do jack for strength.

Want to work on short bursts of speed & recovery time? Add a Tabata routine to your runs. Run long enough to warm up. Rest long enough to reach a resting heart rate, but not cool down. Then repeat 8 times: sprint (100%) for 20 seconds. rest/walk for 10. Mix this in periodically, i.e. not on every run, and you'll see gains.
Old 02-11-14, 05:12 PM
c0lnago

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Want to be a stronger cyclist? Ride more. Want to be a stronger runner? Run more. Want to be overall healthier/more fit? Do both...cross training is good.