Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

How low do you go? PSI on non-tubeless 37c

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-14, 09:29 AM
cellery

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts

I got these Club Roost Cross Terra 27 x 1 3/8 (630 x 37c) tires on my cyclogrinder whatever you want to call it bike. They're rated for 40-65 psi and I've run then down to 45 back/40 front but the ride is still a little harsh on mixed road/dirt conditions. I've considered going down to 30psi on them but a little concerned about pinch flats. I'm not a heavy guy at 150lbs, so is running that low a valid concern for 37c tires or should I go for it? They will be driven on fire roads, washboard and similar. Also, I've got some Mr. Tuffy tire liners in there - could those be the cause of the harsh ride? I didn't experience this with higher pressure Vittoria road tires on the same bike before I put the cross tires on and didn't have the liners in with the road tires. Thanks.

Last edited by cellery; 05-14-14 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-14-14, 11:58 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I guess it depends on how bad a pinch flat would be.

I weigh 200 pounds and I've run 700x30 Michelin Mud2's as low as 30 psi in CX races and gotten away with it. With 700x35 Schwalbe Racing Ralphs I've pinch flatted at about the same pressure.

There are so many variables. The only way to really find out how low you can go is to keep dropping the pressure until you flat then you know that was too low.
Old 05-14-14, 05:07 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
I weigh the same and I'd guess the lowest I'd go with tires of that size would be around 40/45psi front/back, below that I suspect the handling would become squirrelly especially when climbing out of the saddle. But of course that's just a guess, since as Andy_K mentioned there are several variables at play here, what I suggest is that you make your decision based on sight/feel - I like to see my tires bulge out just slightly when I'm riding on a hard surface in my primary riding position, personally.

As for the harsh ride, I would guess that's the tires themselves. I haven't ridden these myself, but the specs available online show those tires have a low TPI count in the casing, and enough rubber for two tires applied in a very lumpy pattern. They're cheap for a reason.
Old 05-14-14, 06:42 PM
halfbiked
dangerous with tools

Bikes: fat, long, single & fast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
40 to 30 psi is a big drop. Head in that direction, in smaller increments.
Old 05-15-14, 03:00 PM
cellery

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
Low TPI count makes sense - I hadn't thought of that. Sucks there's a limited range of wide tires for 27 inch. I'll drop in low increments toward 35 to see how much I can get away with. It's also a very heavy bike compred to my other light road bike so that is probably factoring into my perception of ride comfort.
Old 05-15-14, 03:54 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Also, find tubes with removable valve cores and put some Stan's in there. I have run 32's down to 28psi and I'm 165 doing this.