Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Help picking out new folding bike

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 04-02-15, 07:51 AM
sbulla61

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone, looking for help in picking out a new bike. I've read all the stickys and most of the posts on folding bikes. I'm a 50+ year old out of shape female looking to get into recreational riding this summer. Riding will be done on paved roads and smooth gravel paths with lots of hills in the area I live. The bike will need to fit in the trunk of a large sedan car and the back of a jeep. My price range is about 500.00 to 1,000.00. I've been researching Dahon and Tern as those seem like my best options for the money I'm going to spend. I think I would like the 24" wheels better based on the type of riding I will be doing. Any advice or brand recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-02-15, 07:54 AM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sbulla61
... I think I would like the 24" wheels better based on the type of riding I will be doing. Any advice or brand recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Where are you located?

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 04-02-15, 07:57 AM
sbulla61

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in East Tennessee. There are not any bike stores near me that sell folding bikes.
Old 04-02-15, 08:18 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
If you are going to be mainly on paved roads and gravel you may want to forego the suspension in favor of lighter weight. Since you are going up be encountering hills you will need multiple gears and wide gear range.

Take a look at our Origami Crane 8, I think that it will meet all of your needs very nicely. You can try it for two weeks and if it doesn't suit you we will pay the return shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150223_104009.jpg (88.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-02-15, 08:19 AM
bendembroski
My legs hurt

Bikes: Vaya, Brompton, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, Cresswell Fold-it, '81 Trek 610

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One thing to consider -- for gravel paths, tire width is probably more important than wheel diameter. In other words, a fat 20" would be better suited to your riding than a skinny 24".

Of course, you could also get a fat 24".

With that in mind, take a look at the Xootr swift. It will fit in the trunk of most mid-size sedans no problem, and I bet it would fit in the rear of Wrangler. Put on some wide cushy tires, and it's a great riding bike.
Old 04-02-15, 08:25 AM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have ridden a Dahon Briza D8 (Dahon Briza D8) and a Castro Duo (Tern folding bike Castro Duo). I have not ridden a Tern Castro D8 (Tern folding bike Castro D 8). You likely need more gearing options than the Castro Duo offers. While the Castro Duo has an adjustable handlepost, the Castro D8 does not. The Briza D8 does have an adjustable handlepost. IMHO, both the Dahon and Tern are excellent bikes. You might want to consider an short vacation in Olney, IL.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 04-02-15, 08:41 AM
sbulla61

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you I will look at all of those. I really the like the simplicity and clean look of the Castro Duo. Also like the idea of being able to try out a bike for two weeks.

Last edited by sbulla61; 04-02-15 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-02-15, 09:39 AM
sbulla61

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you guys think of the Tern Node D 7I?
Old 04-02-15, 01:18 PM
westgl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you looked at the Novara Flyby it is made by Tern for REI Novara Brand, and is a combination of two of the Tern bikes the Frame Hinge from the Tern C7 $400.00 Bike price,

and the Hub and drive shifter, from the Tern D7i $850.00 bike price is what I see.

I just bought two of the Flyby's my end price was $420.00ea as they are have a 20% deal right now through the 13th of this April, 2015,

You can test ride them at their store also it has a hub shifter/drive like on the Tern D7i, i am sold on the hub shifter it stays clean and so does your cloths and no maintenance.

I was surprised, at how fast and comfortable the Flyby was, and east to ride the 20" wheels are great the is very sporty handling, and comfortable, i bought a gel seat pad that stretches over the oem seat to provide more comfort so i can ride longer.

From what I have read, with the 20" tires, If you want a more comfortable ride more cushy go to Schwalbe Big Apple Tires, they will provide a little bit a of a suspension for the bike providing a more comfortable ride.

Look at the REI Navaro, Flyby they have a unconditional 1 year warranty, that means you can take the bike back within a year to get a full refund minus $30.00 from what they told me and i have read on their site.

I also put on a bar end mounted side mirror on the left side, to see traffic.

A year long test ride for only $30.00 that a good way for you to really know if you like the bike or not.

The savings is 20% or $120.00 off at time of purchase plus a $60.00 back at a later date, only thing is you need to become a REI Member which is a one time fee of $20.00 and is good for life. the Flyby normally sells for $599.00 - $120.00 = $479.00 - $60.00 = $419.00 roughly, but if you paid the one time REI Member fee of $20.00 then it's more like $439.00, or a few penny's either way.

But to me have the internal Hub shifter as it is completely enclosed and does not get dirty or wet inside and with bikes that have a shifter /derailleur the Rear Shifter/derailleur it can get knocked out of alignment when transporting,

BUT!! the hub shifter does not have a rear derailleur, so that cannot happen that was the major reason to go for the Flyby for me.

The 20" bikes are very surprising in ride and comfort, I was very surprised at the speed and comfort as well as the great handling, the Hub shifter, shifted very smoothly, very Nicely

Last edited by westgl; 04-02-15 at 04:10 PM.