Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Clydesdale riding the Pedal for the Cause century. 6 months to get ready.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 07:03 PM
Granturismonut

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9, Cannondale Super 6, Cannondale CAADX disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a way of motivating ourselves my wife signed us up to ride the Pedal for the Cause century ride. I got 6 months to get back into shape to ride a century. I'm at 332 lbs now, not really focusing on weight but on seat time and eating better. I know we can do this.

If anyone would like to donate to my ride I'd really appreciate it.

https://www.mypedalthecause.org/riders_profile.jsp?MemberID=94329
Old 03-30-17, 07:47 PM
DWhitworth

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
See you out there. I have been doing PTC for 4 years. The century route is a bear.

DaveW
Old 03-31-17, 07:39 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Having enough low gearing is the key thing I think, no need to get in a hurry, my first century was very flat, but the return 40 miles of it was into a steady headwind that had me in my lowest gearing just struggling to keep pedaling, I made it but that made it very unpleasant.

Bill
Old 04-02-17, 06:44 PM
DWhitworth

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Willbird
Having enough low gearing is the key thing I think, no need to get in a hurry, my first century was very flat, but the return 40 miles of it was into a steady headwind that had me in my lowest gearing just struggling to keep pedaling, I made it but that made it very unpleasant.

Bill
I don't know the original poster's fitness/training level, but the PTC Century is a pretty tough ride for a charity non race https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14452623

(I know that a lot of people in CO or CA ride 4800' climb on a commute to work )

I ride this ride in no hurry with a lot of stops (it took almost 8 hours/7 hours ride time) and my bike has a 34/36 granny gear and, at least for me, the toughness of the hills on this ride are worse than riding in almost any wind. This is a pretty serious ride IMO.

DaveW
Old 04-05-17, 05:42 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Here's my two cents for meeting your admirable goal.

You see the event route's elevation map between miles 28 and 85? You need to find terrain similar to that to train on... at least two rides a week, three is better.

Start with whatever makes sense for your current fitness level... let's say 20 miles. You've got roughly 25 weeks to train, so...

Up your mileage 10% each week for 10 weeks. That will get you to the point where you can do a 50 mile ride.
At that point, switch to where you're doing one longer ride a week (40-60 miles) and one or two shorter ones (20-30) miles. Do this for a couple of weeks.

Okay, you're now 4 months into training... Time for a reality check...

Where's your weight at? How do you feel after a 60 mile ride (i.e., or you dead or is there still something left in the tank)? Could you tolerate more saddle time?

If the answer is yes, start stretching you long ride, at least one longer ride every other week. You want to have at least one 75-80 mile ride under your belt that doesn't leave you crippled the next day. You don't really need to ride a century before you ride a century (!). The energy of the event will carry you through (unless 25 mph winds kick up).

If the answer is no, make the bold decision that you love the sound of Metric Century and do the 65 mile ride. That's still a huge accomplishment!

And keep an eye on your body while you train. Some sore muscles are okay; joint and/or nerve pain are not -- they're a sign that you and your bike aren't fitted for each other.

Oh, and the others' advice about having enough low gearing is right on!

I wish you the best of luck and lots of fun!
Old 04-08-17, 08:01 PM
Granturismonut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input. I did find the elevation map for the route, following advice I've tried to find a few local hills to help train, luckily my town has a few long steep hills. I'll make sure to be bring a bike with a triple.
Old 04-08-17, 11:21 PM
NoGears

Bikes: Kona Big Unit Single Speed, Kona Private Jake Single Speed, Jamis Renegade Elite

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4800' stretched out over 100 miles is not bad at all...I'd almost call it flat. It's hard to map a 50 mile route where I'm at without hitting 4000'+. Last "big" ride I did on New Years was 40 miles and over 6000'. That was a leg killer and one I never want to repeat.
Old 04-14-17, 06:27 PM
DWhitworth

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NoGears
4800' stretched out over 100 miles is not bad at all...I'd almost call it flat. It's hard to map a 50 mile route where I'm at without hitting 4000'+. Last "big" ride I did on New Years was 40 miles and over 6000'. That was a leg killer and one I never want to repeat.
FWIW, the major hills are concentrated in about 30-40 miles.

DaveW
Old 04-14-17, 08:02 PM
NoGears

Bikes: Kona Big Unit Single Speed, Kona Private Jake Single Speed, Jamis Renegade Elite

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gotcha...that makes some difference for sure. I've yet to crack the 100 mile mark. 86 is my best and that's due to a navigation error or I would have had my century that day.
Old 04-16-17, 05:49 AM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mcmoose
Here's my two cents for meeting your admirable goal.

You see the event route's elevation map between miles 28 and 85? You need to find terrain similar to that to train on... at least two rides a week, three is better.

Start with whatever makes sense for your current fitness level... let's say 20 miles. You've got roughly 25 weeks to train, so...

Up your mileage 10% each week for 10 weeks. That will get you to the point where you can do a 50 mile ride.
At that point, switch to where you're doing one longer ride a week (40-60 miles) and one or two shorter ones (20-30) miles. Do this for a couple of weeks.

Okay, you're now 4 months into training... Time for a reality check...

Where's your weight at? How do you feel after a 60 mile ride (i.e., or you dead or is there still something left in the tank)? Could you tolerate more saddle time?

If the answer is yes, start stretching you long ride, at least one longer ride every other week. You want to have at least one 75-80 mile ride under your belt that doesn't leave you crippled the next day. You don't really need to ride a century before you ride a century (!). The energy of the event will carry you through (unless 25 mph winds kick up).

If the answer is no, make the bold decision that you love the sound of Metric Century and do the 65 mile ride. That's still a huge accomplishment!

And keep an eye on your body while you train. Some sore muscles are okay; joint and/or nerve pain are not -- they're a sign that you and your bike aren't fitted for each other.

Oh, and the others' advice about having enough low gearing is right on!

I wish you the best of luck and lots of fun!
I don't have a definite goal like the OP but i'm going to use this advice. Seems sound to me I wonder is there an equivalent to the Couch25K for cycling?
Old 09-25-17, 04:51 PM
DWhitworth

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Bringing this to the top, did the OP end up doing the Century yesterday? It was brutal hot and humid here, but I did (most of) it....

https://www.strava.com/activities/1200297106

The 12 miles I skipped were on purpose/planned. A very brutal 8 miles of climbing and another 4 mile loop in a park that is also brutal (and at mile 76)

DaveW
Old 09-25-17, 07:32 PM
Granturismonut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up doing the metric century, 1 member of our team had made the switch from recumbent to diamond frame bike and had trained very little. I think I could have done the full 100 but I not doing without the whole team. I will be back next year it was a blast.

Originally Posted by DWhitworth
Bringing this to the top, did the OP end up doing the Century yesterday? It was brutal hot and humid here, but I did (most of) it....

https://www.strava.com/activities/1200297106

The 12 miles I skipped were on purpose/planned. A very brutal 8 miles of climbing and another 4 mile loop in a park that is also brutal (and at mile 76)

DaveW
Old 09-25-17, 07:37 PM
DWhitworth

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Granturismonut
I ended up doing the metric century, 1 member of our team had made the switch from recumbent to diamond frame bike and had trained very little. I think I could have done the full 100 but I not doing without the whole team. I will be back next year it was a blast.
This was my 5th year and PTC is (IMO) a very high class, well run organization and puts on a heck of an event!

Congrats to you and your team and hope to see you next year!

DaveW