Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Need Help, Clyde Beginner Doesn't Have a Clue

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-17, 06:30 PM
BigWil

Bikes: 2017 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I just found out I'm a Clydesdale...it's an interesting term, and I've definitely been called worse. I'm 6'6" and 245lbs.

I am looking to purchase a bike in the next couple of days, just not sure what to get. LBS sells Giant, and seem like good, helpful people. They are primarily focused on selling Giant. Big Box retailers in the area include Walmart, Canadian Tire and Sport Chek

I'm looking for a bike that is comfortable for me. I want something that will get me back into cycling, but won't break the bank. I'm worried if I go too cheap, I will hate it and won't ride, and if I go too expensive, I will be single and be stuck riding it 11km to work in the winter, because I'd be paying for a divorce.

Experience: Used to ride bicycles all the time as a kid (cheap mountain bikes), around the yard and such, nothing extensive from a distance perspective. Haven't really ridden in the last 15 years.

So, what should I be looking at? Budget will be in the $1000 Canadian, including bike, helmet, lights and bell. I will mostly be biking on roads/paths, to include gravel and such. No serious mountain biking planned.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...on bikes, brands, recommended minimum requirements for fitted equipment, etc...I'm a complete noob and bought my last bike based on price and colour.
Old 05-01-17, 06:47 PM
rickyk76

Bikes: Cannondale Slate; Crust Evasion

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Giant is a good brand and has a variety of bikes that can suit your needs. Being as tall as you are is going to put you in the XL size for pretty much everything you ride with maybe having to change your stem/headset and seat post depending on how they fit. I'd probably look at the Giant Roam since it's designed to handle road and trail. Specifically the Roam 2 since it is at the top of the quality offerings, but gives you money left over for the other things you need. They have 5 different models that will vary in price with better components at the higher prices, but all will meet your needs. Test ride at your LBS, have them help fit the bike to you, and then order. You won't regret it. Since your LBS sells Giant, I'd stick with what they sell and can support...ONLY because there are so many brands, styles, etc. that you can get lost in the search. I know because I've just gone down this path and I now have more options than I know what to do with. You're going to get so many other recommendations now it may make your head spin.
Old 05-01-17, 06:56 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by BigWil
if I go too expensive, I will be single and be stuck riding it 11km to work in the winter, because I'd be paying for a divorce.

Think of all the weight you'll lose.

In general stay away from the big box stores for bikes. A challenge for you (at 6'6") is to find a bike that fits. Your weight isn't really pushing the limits of normal bikes, but keep an eye on the wheels - if they're not true and tensioned right they'll degrade quicker than they should.

See if the bike shop has any last year models or close outs. Chances are they won't have any in your size, but maybe.

Priority #1 is a bike that fits, and the bike shop should be able to help you with that. Even the cheapest (name brand) bikes will work fine if they're set up properly and kept in tune.
Old 05-01-17, 07:48 PM
Buzzmeister

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another Tip

Previous posters are right on track, in my opinion. I'm still married after buying some fairly high end bikes - I just always make sure the Mrs. has the most expensive bike in the garage! Best wishes!
Old 05-01-17, 08:06 PM
BigWil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickyk76
Welcome to the forum. Giant is a good brand and has a variety of bikes that can suit your needs. Being as tall as you are is going to put you in the XL size for pretty much everything you ride with maybe having to change your stem/headset and seat post depending on how they fit. I'd probably look at the Giant Roam since it's designed to handle road and trail. Specifically the Roam 2 since it is at the top of the quality offerings, but gives you money left over for the other things you need. They have 5 different models that will vary in price with better components at the higher prices, but all will meet your needs. Test ride at your LBS, have them help fit the bike to you, and then order. You won't regret it. Since your LBS sells Giant, I'd stick with what they sell and can support...ONLY because there are so many brands, styles, etc. that you can get lost in the search. I know because I've just gone down this path and I now have more options than I know what to do with. You're going to get so many other recommendations now it may make your head spin.
I'm definitely leaning towards the Roam 2 at this point. I stopped by the LBS today, but it was pouring rain. I didn't care, but they sure did.

Originally Posted by tyrion
Think of all the weight you'll lose.

In general stay away from the big box stores for bikes. A challenge for you (at 6'6") is to find a bike that fits. Your weight isn't really pushing the limits of normal bikes, but keep an eye on the wheels - if they're not true and tensioned right they'll degrade quicker than they should.

See if the bike shop has any last year models or close outs. Chances are they won't have any in your size, but maybe.

Priority #1 is a bike that fits, and the bike shop should be able to help you with that. Even the cheapest (name brand) bikes will work fine if they're set up properly and kept in tune.
I won't lose that much weight...trust me. 14 weeks of basic training only got me down to 220. They don't seem to have much from last years line. The LBS guys were knowledgeable. Walmart/Canadian Tire staff are useless, and Sport Chek didn't care enough about bike riders to carry basics like lights. The LBS also provides 3 years free service on any bikes you buy there, so that's a distinct advantage.

Originally Posted by Buzzmeister
Previous posters are right on track, in my opinion. I'm still married after buying some fairly high end bikes - I just always make sure the Mrs. has the most expensive bike in the garage! Best wishes!
I tried that, but 5/8s (Better Half) isn't interested in a bike right now.
Old 05-02-17, 11:28 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, it is your height rather than your weight that might be your biggest problem.At 6'6"' you will need at least a 64 cm, and more likely a 66 cm bike, and most off the shelf brands are 60 or 62 cm. bike salesmen might say otherwise, but I doubt the XL Giant will fit you.

There are a few Surly models that come in a 64 cm, and Soma Double Cross, and ES models come in 66 cm. bike. KHS has a very large frame available. Gunner makes frames even larger if 66 cm is too small.
Old 05-02-17, 01:03 PM
NoGears

Bikes: Kona Big Unit Single Speed, Kona Private Jake Single Speed, Jamis Renegade Elite

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to say the same thing. At 245 your weight is a non-issue except maybe on the lightest racing bike or ultra light wheelset...but those aren't anything that's a consideration at this point. Your height will be the problem. Not sure how bike prices are in Canada...but in the US $1000 will get you on a decent starter bike for sure. I'd whole heartedly go with the LBS and avoid any big box store like the plague. Used can be a great option too. Check and see if there's any bike groups on Fb in your area. I'd bet you'll meet some really friendly folks and probably get some leads on a bike or two for sale that might work for you. Bikes do not hold value whatsoever so you can get a bike that's 2-3 years old for a fraction of the price that it was new and be a much better bike than you'd get new for $1000 today.
Old 05-02-17, 01:21 PM
MRT2

Originally Posted by NoGears
I was going to say the same thing. At 245 your weight is a non-issue except maybe on the lightest racing bike or ultra light wheelset...but those aren't anything that's a consideration at this point. Your height will be the problem. Not sure how bike prices are in Canada...but in the US $1000 will get you on a decent starter bike for sure. I'd whole heartedly go with the LBS and avoid any big box store like the plague. Used can be a great option too. Check and see if there's any bike groups on Fb in your area. I'd bet you'll meet some really friendly folks and probably get some leads on a bike or two for sale that might work for you. Bikes do not hold value whatsoever so you can get a bike that's 2-3 years old for a fraction of the price that it was new and be a much better bike than you'd get new for $1000 today.
if OP can find a used bike in a very large size, he can probably get it for a good price.
Old 05-02-17, 01:27 PM
NoGears

Bikes: Kona Big Unit Single Speed, Kona Private Jake Single Speed, Jamis Renegade Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah...it will be a challenge but I see them in my area from time to time. Maybe a bike a month going up for sale that's suitable for someone 6'6".
Old 05-02-17, 01:32 PM
BISCUT

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with the other poster...XL isn't going to cut it for 6'6". I'm a clyde but a hell of a lot shorter....think linebacker. I'm 240 and 220 I'm jacked. You must be a bean pole at 220. My shoe is US 13. I'm gonn bet your a 14 or 15. This is a really big consideration.... The roadies are gonna freak...but I often use my downhill mtb flats on my Domane. It's a 56 and size 13 can get in the way of the front wheel if I don't mind my feet.

Hard for a dude like you to find a bike for 1k. If your good with your hands try looking used for a big boy bike. Replace parts slowly....wife won't kick you out that way.
Old 05-02-17, 01:49 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
So, I just found out I'm a Clydesdale...it's an interesting term, and I've definitely been called worse. I'm 6'6" and 245lbs.
If I were you I wouldn't be going for a "Giant Roam".

For one thing it has front suspension fork. Why do you need that, if you're going to be riding roads and bike paths? Even if you're riding gravel it's not necessary. Suspension was developed for mountain biking, and due to the "coolness" has trickled (pointlessly) down to regular bikes. Most good quality suspension forks cost more than that bike does, so you have a low quality suspension fork, that is pointless. /rantover

Secondly the XL will likely be too small for you at 6' 6''.

I'd go back and talk to your bike shop about fit, although the trouble is at 6' 6'' they probably don't carry a bike someone your size. Bike shops want everyone to ride a 56cm frame for this reason, so they don't have to carry too much stock they can't shift.

Your best bet is to look locally for used bikes IMHO, to see if you can find one your size.
Old 05-02-17, 05:22 PM
BigWil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'm running into a problem. BBS don't carry much of anything. LBS is focused around Giant. I've had a lengthy discussion with their staff, who are definitely more knowledgeable than I am.

I understand the downside of the front suspension on the Roam, it was not a priority in looking at a bicycle. I explained what I was looking at to the LBS staff, and they pointed me in the direction of the Roam 2: $1000CAD including bike, helmet, lights, toolkit. I'm looking at commuting to work, 11km, so I had to sink a fair bit into lighting. (I work 12hr shifts, 5:30-5:30), and my only route is a busy 4 lane road.

I ended up putting a deposit on a Roam 2 XL, with the understanding that they will offer a full refund should it not work for me, based on my size. Anything that comes with a larger frame puts the bike well above my budget. Keep in mind the Canadian dollar doesn't go quite as far. If it doesn't fit well, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The LBS will be doing a fit on the bike when I get it, so we will know for sure. If it's going to cost me significantly more, I'm going to have to walk away. If I go with the Roam, even if it's a little too small, it will be a huge improvement on the bike's I've ridden as a kid, and if I actually ride it on a regular basis, I can justify spending more next year.

There is very little in the area for used bikes that I can find. I've checked...which leads me the direction I'm going.
Old 05-02-17, 05:39 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Kind of in the same vein as those above, your size is your issue.

BUT your physical dimensions are what will be the determining factor. I'm 6'5" but I have long legs and arms. When I got fitted for my custom built track bike, I was put on a frame custom built for a guy 6'6". It was way too small for me. So YOUR PHYSICAL DIMENSIONS WILL BE THE DETERMINING FACTOR not just your height. I ride a Canyon 3XL road bike and that fits me really well, but they're out of your price range and not even available to you I think.

Anyhow, get smart and when you are looking at bikes and pay particular attention to the frame reach. It should be in the geometry table for the bikes. That is the true way to compare bike to bike for size. Just going by frame size is a red herring and could see you on something that is plainly too small for you. For example, the Soma 66cm frame mentioned above is actually smaller than a Giant TCR in XL size. If you're going to look at a mountain bike, then the reach principle is exactly the same.

IMO I would source a mountain bike (preferebly 29er) and perhaps look at replacing the tyres with something more road friendly. That will definitely see you out for a while, even if you end up preferring riding on the road. If speed becomes and issue, upgrade to a proper road bike down the track.
Old 05-02-17, 05:51 PM
brawlo

I guess I'm running into a problem. BBS don't carry much of anything. LBS is focused around Giant. I've had a lengthy discussion with their staff, who are definitely more knowledgeable than I am.

I understand the downside of the front suspension on the Roam, it was not a priority in looking at a bicycle. I explained what I was looking at to the LBS staff, and they pointed me in the direction of the Roam 2: $1000CAD including bike, helmet, lights, toolkit. I'm looking at commuting to work, 11km, so I had to sink a fair bit into lighting. (I work 12hr shifts, 5:30-5:30), and my only route is a busy 4 lane road.

I ended up putting a deposit on a Roam 2 XL, with the understanding that they will offer a full refund should it not work for me, based on my size. Anything that comes with a larger frame puts the bike well above my budget. Keep in mind the Canadian dollar doesn't go quite as far. If it doesn't fit well, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The LBS will be doing a fit on the bike when I get it, so we will know for sure. If it's going to cost me significantly more, I'm going to have to walk away. If I go with the Roam, even if it's a little too small, it will be a huge improvement on the bike's I've ridden as a kid, and if I actually ride it on a regular basis, I can justify spending more next year.

There is very little in the area for used bikes that I can find. I've checked...which leads me the direction I'm going.
Haha, you got in while I was writing. Good luck and see how it goes. You could go to the more MTB oriented models, run slicker tyres and the ATX or Talon are a bit bigger bikes than the Roam. The Talon 3 is actually a bit cheaper and has a better fork with lockout (makes road riding a bit better). A minor disadvantage is it has a slightly smaller 27.5 wheel

Last edited by brawlo; 05-02-17 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-02-17, 06:11 PM
NoGears

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I go with the Roam, even if it's a little too small, it will be a huge improvement
An uncomfortable bike is a bike that goes unridden.
Old 05-02-17, 06:21 PM
BigWil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
Haha, you got in while I was writing. Good luck and see how it goes. You could go to the more MTB oriented models, run slicker tyres and the ATX or Talon are a bit bigger bikes than the Roam. The Talon 3 is actually a bit cheaper and has a better fork with lockout (makes road riding a bit better). A minor disadvantage is it has a slightly smaller 27.5 wheel
That is another option. I was looking at some of the MTB models the LBS has, and nothing really jumped out at me. The Roam 2 does have lockout on the forks, which will help with some of the issues.

The other thing the LBS offered was that if I need to swap out a couple parts here and there to get the Roam to work for me, they will just make me pay the difference between Giant's list price and the price of the new part. I'm pretty sure we will make this work.

Only problem now is waiting until Monday for the bike to come in. (Well, it's coming in Friday, but I'm working days all weekend, so I can't make it in until Monday). The accessories I've purchased will be installed at no cost as part of the setup, and I get 3 years free tuneups, so that's not a bad deal...oh, and 10% off everything, because my LBS is awesome and gives a military discount.
Old 05-02-17, 06:29 PM
BigWil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoGears
An uncomfortable bike is a bike that goes unridden.
I haven't ridden in 15 years...I'm pretty sure everything will be uncomfortable to get started. I'm going to have to power through the first while until I get used to riding again. If it feels terrible, I will walk away. If it feels alright, I will go through with it. I just don't have the experience right now to know what's going to be the perfect bike for me, so I'm going to go with what's available and recommended right now, and go from there. If I'm riding to and from work at 22k/day, and I'm still grabbing the bike on my days off, I know I can justify spending 3-4k next year for the perfect bike for me.
Old 05-02-17, 06:33 PM
NoGears

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well sure...but there's a difference between new rider discomfort and bad fit discomfort. Bad fit will cause you to not ride and the bike will collect dust or be sold for a fraction of what it cost you. I did that to myself with an XL frame (should have been on a L) Cannondale F29 carbon. It was the only size available so I settled. Lost a lot of money on a bike that probably only had a couple hundred miles on it because it wasn't fun to ride at all.
Old 05-02-17, 06:51 PM
brawlo

That is another option. I was looking at some of the MTB models the LBS has, and nothing really jumped out at me. The Roam 2 does have lockout on the forks, which will help with some of the issues.

The other thing the LBS offered was that if I need to swap out a couple parts here and there to get the Roam to work for me, they will just make me pay the difference between Giant's list price and the price of the new part. I'm pretty sure we will make this work.

Only problem now is waiting until Monday for the bike to come in. (Well, it's coming in Friday, but I'm working days all weekend, so I can't make it in until Monday). The accessories I've purchased will be installed at no cost as part of the setup, and I get 3 years free tuneups, so that's not a bad deal...oh, and 10% off everything, because my LBS is awesome and gives a military discount.
Just approach the fit knowing that the Talon is 2cm longer than the Roam. That's 2cm you can't get with any amount of stem changes. My own MTB Scott Scale 960 is 453mm reach (Roam 425mm, Talon 445mm) and it's too small for me. Definitely rideable, but when I use it as intended on the trails it is noticeable. The only real step up for me is a very expensive step up.
Old 05-02-17, 06:59 PM
rickyk76

Bikes: Cannondale Slate; Crust Evasion

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the LBS is good, they'll help with a proper fit even if it means not being able to sell you the XL Roam. I'd also check out some of the topics in the Fitting section of the forum and some YouTube videos on fit so you have a general idea when you go pick up your bike as to what you should be looking for and what to expect as the LBS guided you in fit.

Congrats on the new bike!
Old 05-02-17, 07:06 PM
BigWil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
Just approach the fit knowing that the Talon is 2cm longer than the Roam. That's 2cm you can't get with any amount of stem changes. My own MTB Scott Scale 960 is 453mm reach (Roam 425mm, Talon 445mm) and it's too small for me. Definitely rideable, but when I use it as intended on the trails it is noticeable. The only real step up for me is a very expensive step up.
Thanks for the heads up on that. I'm looking forward to the fit, and to see what needs to be done, and if it will work. Unfortunately, the bike fit calculator I found didn't really compare to the measurements on the Giant site, so it's a pretty much a wait and see situation.
Old 05-03-17, 06:43 AM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Huh, I'm 6'5" 205 pounds and ride a 58 cm Cannondale Evo. Get the LBS to fit you before the internet does.
Old 05-03-17, 09:17 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JReade
Huh, I'm 6'5" 205 pounds and ride a 58 cm Cannondale Evo. Get the LBS to fit you before the internet does.
True, every body is a different shape, height isn't the be-all-and-end-all. I'm 6'2'' and have ridden a 59cm frame without issue, I currently ride a 57cm and 58cm frame. Of course those numbers don't mean much, every frame is different and a single number cannot describe how it will fit you.
Old 05-03-17, 09:31 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by JReade
Interesting. I am 5'8" and ride a 55 cm frame. I could probably go up to a 56 or down to a 54 cm if I had to. My son is just under 5'11" and rides a 57 cm frame. I have a friend who is about your height who rides a huge 68 cm frame (though the frame is proportionally taller than it is long, if that makes any sense) I don't see how a person a full 6" taller would be comfortable on a 58 cm frame. Not doubting you as we all find our sweet spot, but I don't see how.

That said, I am all for getting fitted to a bike locally.
Old 05-03-17, 09:56 AM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Interesting. I am 5'8" and ride a 55 cm frame. I could probably go up to a 56 or down to a 54 cm if I had to. My son is just under 5'11" and rides a 57 cm frame. I have a friend who is about your height who rides a huge 68 cm frame (though the frame is proportionally taller than it is long, if that makes any sense) I don't see how a person a full 6" taller would be comfortable on a 58 cm frame. Not doubting you as we all find our sweet spot, but I don't see how.

That said, I am all for getting fitted to a bike locally.
I guess I don't have much of a torso?

Got some seatpost out there and a good amount of saddle to bar drop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.