Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crank pullers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Crank pullers

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-20, 11:25 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 182 Posts
Crank pullers

I just saw a video of servicing a bottom mracket and it looked pretty straight forward but I'm
wondering if a crank puller will fit all bikes? I'm going to be doing a 1985 Specialized Sequoia. Thanks
Old 04-02-20, 04:45 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
The vast majority of bikes have the same 22mm dust cap/puller threads. Some exceptions are old Stronglight and TA cranks and a few others.
Old 04-03-20, 02:08 AM
mostaza

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A top tip (from an idiot!):

Make sure the puller head fits in the hole - e.g. inside the square hole once the bolt is removed.

On my first outing as a home bike mechanic a few years ago, I managed to destroy a crank arm because the puller I bought had a pull off wider fitting piece on the part that engages with the axle (which I didn't notice I needed to remove for my standard square crank/axle).
That is until I was wondering why it took so much force to turn, and I'd stripped the crank arm threads and crushed the square alloy of the crank arm into a weird diamond/star shape!!!
Had to use an automotive pulley/gear extractor tool to get the crank arm off and replace it!
Old 04-03-20, 02:19 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by mostaza
A top tip (from an idiot!):

Make sure the puller head fits in the hole - e.g. inside the square hole once the bolt is removed.

On my first outing as a home bike mechanic a few years ago, I managed to destroy a crank arm because the puller I bought had a pull off wider fitting piece on the part that engages with the axle (which I didn't notice I needed to remove for my standard square crank/axle).
That is until I was wondering why it took so much force to turn, and I'd stripped the crank arm threads and crushed the square alloy of the crank arm into a weird diamond/star shape!!!
Had to use an automotive pulley/gear extractor tool to get the crank arm off and replace it!
Right. Small tip for square taper. Large tip (or something) for Octalink, ISIS, etc.

Some cranks will use washers which can also get in the way. Especially vintage Campagnolo. If you're back into the 1970's, look for the washers.

Some cranks will also use self-extractor dust covers which should simplify things a bit, although they can be removed and a regular crank wrench used.
Old 04-03-20, 08:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
The OEM cranks of that bike will undoubtedly use the very common 22mm extractor with the "small" pressure tip. Fully screw the extractor into the arm's threads, not tightly but all the way. Placing the chain on the big ring might save you from knuckle scaring when your hands slip Andy