Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Glove recommendations for very cold hands

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Glove recommendations for very cold hands

Old 01-25-06, 03:13 PM
willtsmith_nwi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
I use polyproplene liners. Perhaps you could use small chemical heating packs inside your gloves if you need to be out for a long time.
I think he should use WOOL liners. Cover it with a mid layer and top it off with leather.

You can preach all you want about "wicking". But you have to have something to wick into. Poly is better than cotton for cold. But poly doesn't hold a candle to wool.
Old 02-18-06, 12:58 AM
oldskoolboarder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My rides usually don't get colder than 30 deg F. But my fingers freeze w/ my standard full finger REI cycling gloves. I have some fleece Man***** liners but not too windproof. I probably need windproof, but I really don't want bulk or anything that resembles a ski/snowboard glove. Suggestions?
Old 02-20-06, 11:02 AM
CBBaron

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
My rides usually don't get colder than 30 deg F. But my fingers freeze w/ my standard full finger REI cycling gloves. I have some fleece Man***** liners but not too windproof. I probably need windproof, but I really don't want bulk or anything that resembles a ski/snowboard glove. Suggestions?
WindPro or similar wind resistant fleece cycling glove. Make sure the glove has a leather palm as I have a pair of "cycling" gloves that have a fleece palm which doesn't hold up at all for cycling. Still I wear my light weight Cannondale WindPro gloves under a pair of open finger cycling gloves with out much problem down to about 30. They really block the wind but are thin. If your hands are normally cold this is probably not sufficient but if standard full finger gloves are only a little this will probably work. You can always add a glove liner inside to improve the insulation.
Craig
Old 02-20-06, 02:30 PM
halfbiked
dangerous with tools

Bikes: fat, long, single & fast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone else use Lake gauntlets? My wife bought me some. They have a liner that is actually rather thin fleecy stuff and a durable waterproof outer. The liners are velcroed in so can be removed for drying puroses. They also have a zipper over the knuckles to facilitate ventillation of hot hands. Riding at 25° I open the knuckles halfway into the ride. I can leave them shut when its colder.
Old 02-21-06, 10:59 AM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lieren,

Do your hands get cold so easy when you are not riding the bike? Perhaps your main nerve in your hand is closer to the surface than most riders and so the pressure of your weight on the handlbars makes your hands go numb quickly. I lot of good advice has been given. There are some triathalon riding gloves that have more padding in the palm to relieve pressure on the nerve in your hand.

I would suggest finding a good pair of padded palm or full finger riding gloves and then layering an oversized ski glove or thick polar fleece glove with a windproof cover. A good solution that works for me is a cheap but thick polar fleece glove from ShopKo.

There gloves are touted as waterproof because they have some kind of a waterproof membrane in between the lining and the outer. They work the first time you wear them and then they won't dry out so you have to cut a slot in between the lining and the outer shell and pull out all of the inner stuff.

After that they work really well and will dry out between rides. I also got a cheap pair of nylon covered snowboarding gloves at the local recreation discounter. THey glove had a very good quality windproof shell and were very warm but had the same problem as the Shopko gloves. THey won't dry out due to a waterproof plastic membrane in between the lining and the outer shell.

I just cut all of the lining and everything else out of the glove and use the shell over my polar fleece and riding glove combination. When they get damp after a ride I can easily pull them all apart and let them dry. Remember to make sure the gloves system is not too tight. Especially since you may have a circulation problem in your hands. You cannot afford have even the slightest reduction in circulation in your hands. It may also be that one of the main veins in your hands is close to the surface and is easily resticted from the weight of your hand on the handlbars.

Oldskoolboarder,

I find that I don't need much insulation on my hands if they have a totally windproof covering. Also, the windproof covering adds very little bulk. You might try what I did. Find an inexpensive but good quality pair of snowboarding gloves and cut out the lining. THen wear your cycling gloves underneath them. These things are made in large quantities because snowboarding is all the rage. I found good quality gloves for 12 USD at the local recreation discounter and didn't feel at all guilty for cutting out the linings. It will make a big difference and if you have good hand circulation you will be able to handle really cold tempertures with this combination.

Last edited by Hezz; 02-21-06 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-21-06, 02:18 PM
oldskoolboarder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What brand/model of Windpro?

Yeah, I might give my snowboarding gloves a try...sans liner.
Old 02-21-06, 04:24 PM
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If snowboarding gloves don't work because they are not flexible enough, get ice climbing gloves with long guantlets.
Old 02-21-06, 05:52 PM
metal_cowboy

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Co Motion Big A,l Klein Adroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of Pearl Izumi Amphib gloves that are the warmest gloves I have ever owned. https://www.pearlizumi.com/product.ph...color_code=021

Unfortunately, they are way too warm for me to use unless the thermometer drops below freezing. Anything above freezing makes my hands sweat and overheat.
Old 02-21-06, 07:12 PM
jaypee
succumbs to errata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've a pair of the Pearl Izumi Inferno gloves. They're a lobster/glove hybrid and I love 'em. They've been good for me down to -5 or so.
Old 01-01-09, 11:40 AM
TrackGuy
It's all about the Ort.

Bikes: Centurion Trac; Carnielli; Ross Mt Hood; TREK 5200.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lieren:
I realize this is an old thread but did you ever figure out a solution to your cold hands problem? My hands are always cold, probably have Raynaud's. I have a drawer full of gloves, I've tried almost every suggestion in this thread, nothing has worked so far. Pogies aren't practice as I have to park outside on the street all day.

Does anyone have any experience with heated gloves such as these:
https://www.v5glove.com/
or
https://cozywinters.com/shop/zs-hgx.html

A quick browse through some motorcycle forums wasn't very helpful.
Old 01-01-09, 12:18 PM
SeizeTech

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I get these from canadian tire, but I'm sure they are available at many other stores, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
twofinger gloves.jpg (2.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-01-09, 04:54 PM
MTwallet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trackguy, I tend to think that a big, thick or heated glove would be cumbersome when cycling. I use "Moose Mitts" from trails edge https://www.trails-edge.com/onlinecatalog.htm
Yes, they are pogies but I can put them on and take them off my mountain bike nearly as fast as I can put on or take off a pair of dry gloves on my dry hands. If the gloves or my hands are sweaty or wet, then the Moose Mitts win easily. So you could quickly take them off after a ride, fold 'em up and store them with your helmet.
So far, I have used them in temps down to 5*F with only my fingerless (Summer) cycling gloves on. If you have serious issues then you could wear a more substantial glove of course.
They are windproof, waterproof and warm. I highly recommend them.

MT
Old 01-01-09, 06:41 PM
jmess

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just ordered me a set of moose mitts for my winter roadie. They look like they should do the trick. I do a lot of climbing and descending and last season my hands got so cold I got some chilblains. I would really like to do a long ride where my hands aren't freezing after a 3-5 mile 30MPH+ descent.
Old 01-01-09, 06:55 PM
pharding

Bikes: 09 Pinarello Prince, 09 Cervelo P3, 10 Stevens Team Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assos 3 layer glove pack is wonderful. It works with a full range of temperatures.
Old 01-02-09, 02:26 PM
TrackGuy
It's all about the Ort.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MT:
I think I'll give the Moose Mitts a try. I've tried practically every glove on the market, none so far have worked out and haven't yet been able to ride below 40*.

tg.
Old 01-02-09, 03:26 PM
vger285

Bikes: Van Dessel CRB, Giant ATX 880,Footbike track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moose mitts are whats happenun!We got some guy's in ouy group who are die hards...there the ones with the cold fingers!
Old 01-02-09, 04:35 PM
pmt
Experienced

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When it's really cold, I wear glove liners to wick sweat, then thin windproof gloves, then lobster claws. If it's really, really cold, then I'll put baby socks over each finger set and put a chem heater inside the baby sock prior to jamming my hands inside the lobster claws. The little socks keep the heaters in place.
Old 01-04-09, 07:04 PM
SSIndyRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lieren
Hey guys, thanks for the concern! But it's nothing to worry about - my hands go numb from something called raynaud's phenomenon, which is not worth going to the doctor over (just one of those physiological quirks, the treatment is to warm your hands). It's not an uncommon problem, esp. among women. Last winter I'd get to work and run my hands under hot water for a few minutes; this winter I want to layer better!
Forgive me if someone else covered this already, but Reynaud's is something to worry about and to see a Dr. about - it's not "psychological". My mother has it and would suffer badly from sores and cracks in her fingertips from it. She uses a nitroglycerin Rx ointment for it. One of our Dr.'s wife has it and had LOST FINGERTIPS from it. It is a circulatory condition that can have serious results. It may not need daily attention, but it is something to keep contact with a Dr. long-term.

(Edit: didn't notice original timeframe of thread, but since someone recently mentioned reynaud's in it, my caution still stands.)
Old 01-05-09, 06:51 PM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gloves

Yes, I like the lobster gloves as well. I do not know every company that makes them, but I have the pearl izumi brand and they are good so far down to +1, below that I can not tell you whether they are any good or not. One good feature is that they dry during my time at work, so the return trip is with dry
gloves.
Old 01-10-09, 10:15 AM
Labarum

Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Some great advice here, and lots of good ideas; but, O my, what mental gymnastics I have to go through to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius. I can conceive values in pounds or Kilogrammes and in metres of feet, but these days Fahrenheit beats me. I know the values around room temperature 68F-20C, and around freezing 32F-0C, but as to the rest . . . I found myself using Google Calculator!

About -4C today (I will let US citizens do their own maths (yes, O do mean "maths").

Two pairs of everyday socks and a pair of thick woolly British Army Artic socks on top, mys size 48 Shimano SPD shoes with sturdy overshoes. Fleece hat. Helmet with sturdy plastic liner cut to size. Yellow commuter jacket, fleece, gilet, jersey, long sleeve base layer, sturdy bib longs - read the "man parts thread and stuffed and artic sock down the front. Now that was wonderful advice.

The fleece and the gilet were cheap products, I guess a decent fleece would have done by itself.

And if anyone want to make any more suggestions . . .
Old 09-12-09, 02:00 PM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12171 Post(s)
Liked 1,479 Times in 1,092 Posts
Ice climbing gloves.
Best to go to an outdoors store that has a selction.
https://www.mtntools.com/cat/techwear...uidegloves.htm

https://gearx.com/black-diamond-ice-glove.html

also..
https://www.barmitts.com/products.php

Last edited by late; 09-12-09 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-19-09, 01:55 AM
gomadtroll
old and in the way

Bikes: Icicle Cycles..custom touring bike, Fargo 1st gen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MudSplattered
Pogies, man, they ARE THE ANSWER!!! Also known as Moose Mitts, Bullwinkles, CliMitts (this are what I have). I wear a thin winter cycling glove underneath and at 9 degrees today, my hands were Perfectly warm. I could Never get them to stay warm before my Bike Guy gave them to me for Christmas. They are perfect. Fit over the bars, wind proof, water proof, mine are goretex, fleece lined. No heavy bulky mitts to interfere with shifting/braking.

you can spend tons of $ on gloves, but this is a reasonable priced way to go and nothing can beat them.
I totally agree with Edtrek and Vermontrides
Michelle
+1 for all the pogie suggestion.
My favorite cold weather gear shop : https://www.akgear.com/hats-mitts.html
Old 09-25-09, 07:37 AM
aztech63

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fisrt thing everyone should state is what relative coldness level do they usually have. By that I mean are they always cold and having problems almost no matter what they try or are they one of those ppl that can wear a pair of thin gloves and bike in -20 degree weather without any issues.

I am one of those ppl that are always freezing and can't find anything to keep my hands, face and feet warm. I probably have about 20 pairs of various sizes of winter mittens (not gloves) the peral Izumi lobster gloves 3 finger and PI 4 finger gloves. The best I've come up with so far is the lobster gloves with 3 finger set up. Even those I still get cold but they are better than all the other gloves I've tried. I always use a large or x-large size. I've tried the liners but they seem to make the gloves to tight and restrict the warmth you get from the fingers being together and that makes me colder so I don't use them. This has been an on going experiemenatation over the last 5 years and I try anything new that comes along that promises to rate high in warmth.

I'm going to try those pogie things this year.

Then again maybe I should just stay indoors doing spin classes looking at the cute women in tights. Not a bad alternative.

I hope this helps my cold fingered friends.

Oh I have never used the chemical warming packages but sometimes carry them with me just in case. They get expensive if you are using them on a regualr basis.
Old 09-26-09, 11:12 AM
TrackGuy
It's all about the Ort.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP here...

On the recommendations of the people on this thread, I bought a pair of MooseMits. They are not without their quirks, ie I found them to be both drafty and sweaty at the same time (they need a bit of tweaking) but overall a better choice than any of the gloves in my ever expanding collection. My biggest problem with them, or anything not chained to the frame for that matter, is parking on the street, they aren't something that you want to leave on your bike if you have to park outside in Manhattan while you're at work all day.

So, looks like this winter I'll be sticking with my 36* cutoff again.
Old 09-30-09, 10:33 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've gotten cold-sensitive hands with age. I have several sets of gloves: fingerless above 60, fleece for 50s. Windstopping gloves in 40s. Windstopping gloves with liners in 30s.

Below freezing, I use Outdoor Research Alti Mitts, the inner liner for teens and twenties, the two-layer set (totally wind-impervious Gore-Tex) for single digits and sub-zero.

This is for 3-5 hour rides. Like if you want to feel warm and toasty hands in conditions that freeze your water bottle before you think about taking a drink, and require three top layers, a shell over your tights, an over-nose Windstopper or neoprene balaclava and ski goggles. They're designed for Denali, Everest and Antarctica. Alti Mitts impair dexterity, but you can shift and brake satisfactorily.

I almost went for Moose Mitts, and I'm sure they're good, also check out Epic Designs (Fairbanks AK) for max cold conditions/ sensitivity. These pogies totally enclose your shifters and brakes in a windless "cave" under which you can go bare-handed or wear thin gloves.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.