Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rant and Purchase Advice

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Rant and Purchase Advice

Old 03-18-06, 06:16 PM
NewG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rant and Purchase Advice

Who knew it was so difficult to find a decent deal on a bike. I started out knowing nothing about bikes and thinking that I could get a decent new bike for $150. Little did I know that I could barely get a walmart model POS for that price. So I move on to used bikes looking at craigslist, ebay and the local pawn shops. Little did I know that it would be so difficult to find anything cheaper than $250 that was a large frame for a 6'1 guy. I never knew that bikes held their value so well... or at least people selling them on craigslist think they do. Bikes that retail for $500 are selling (or at least asking) for over $300 when they are 3 and 4 years old. It seems kind of silly to me. Seems like this is the craigslist ad that you get:

"Bought the bike back in 99 for $250. It has sat outside in the rain, the cat ripped the hell out of the seat, the chain fell off because it rusted through, the front wheel is tacoed, brakes still work sometimes and the tires have rotted off. Will part with for $280."

I know this is an exageration but still.

Alright enough of my rant. The main reason for this post is to see whether you guys think a LBS's offer is a good one. "19.5" Trek 4900s. They were rental bikes. They were $599. new, refurbished including new fork seals due next week, with new bike warranty for $300."

I figure its got a new bike warranty and maybe I can deal with the guy a little bit. Maybe he'll throw in a bike rack for free or something. Do you guys think he'd put slicks on it for me instead of the nobbies? Even if I don't keep the bike maybe I could try and sell it on craigslist for $350

Thanks for any and all feedback.
Old 03-18-06, 06:42 PM
tomg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
life-time maintainence including lubes (in writing)?
Old 03-18-06, 06:43 PM
derath

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just sold an old Raleigh in excellent shape on craigslist for $150. And I had just put $70 into it getting it in shape. New tires, tubes handlebar tape. Completely tore it down and redid all the bearings.

There are still deals to be had. But generally yes, people seem to have an inflated view of their stuff these days.

-D
Old 03-18-06, 06:50 PM
EuroJosh

Bikes: Rossin Track Bike,Canondale Track, RB-1, Ridley Crossbow, Felt Breed, Felt Sector 24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomg
life-time maintainence including lubes (in writing)?
You would not get that, even with a $3000.00 bike.
Edit: OP, sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 03-18-06, 06:52 PM
NewG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I have seen a few deals on Craigslist. I saw a Giant Yukon that was only a couple years old and had not been off road for $250 or a little lower. That seemed like a good deal. I apparently didn't act in time though.

So what do ya guys think about the $300 trek bike? Should I pass and look for another $250 Yukon or Hardrock or something?
Old 03-18-06, 06:59 PM
EuroJosh

Bikes: Rossin Track Bike,Canondale Track, RB-1, Ridley Crossbow, Felt Breed, Felt Sector 24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Trek sounds like a good deal to me. You should also see if any of your local bike clubs have websites, most of them will have classified sections with better pickins than craigslist.
Old 03-18-06, 07:01 PM
NewG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanx for the advice JoshFrank. I looked around at most of the bike shops websites in the local area to no avail but I'll look more toward San Rafael and the rest of Marin county
Old 03-18-06, 10:49 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Depends. Does the bike fit and do you like riding it? Have the guy fit the bike to you replacing the stem and saddle if necessary to make it all day riding comfortable. Have him throw in the slicks AND take the knobbies with you. And double check all the components so you know what level you're getting. Ask if the cassette and chain are new, check the chainring for uneven wear, ask if the shifter and brake cables are new, etc. Ask him to throw in clipless pedals too if they're not included.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 03-18-06, 11:41 PM
tacomee

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As a guy who's bought a few used bikes--- offer squat for them. If you have an old bike, it's worthless, so don't bail out some fool who bought a bike doesn't ride it.

The $300 Trek isn't a bad deal if you like the bike.
Old 03-19-06, 01:33 AM
NewG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Depends. Does the bike fit and do you like riding it? Have the guy fit the bike to you replacing the stem and saddle if necessary to make it all day riding comfortable. Have him throw in the slicks AND take the knobbies with you. And double check all the components so you know what level you're getting. Ask if the cassette and chain are new, check the chainring for uneven wear, ask if the shifter and brake cables are new, etc. Ask him to throw in clipless pedals too if they're not included.
I will be going over to that shop to see if I like the 19.5" frame. Do you really think that a LBS would thow in slicks and the knobbies along with all the other stuff ya mentioned? From my run ins with LBS folks they seem to nickle and dime ya and pretty much bend you over. Maybe its just the stores that I have been to though.

Originally Posted by jyossarian
As a guy who's bought a few used bikes--- offer squat for them. If you have an old bike, it's worthless, so don't bail out some fool who bought a bike doesn't ride it.

The $300 Trek isn't a bad deal if you like the bike.
I have been offering like $50 under what the asking price is on craigslist with varrying results. There are a few people that have budged a little but there have been a few that write bike with fairly rude e-mails. My favorite was one guy that said something about the questionable parentage of both my mother and father and told me to do things with myself that I am not sure is even physically possible absent the removal of a rib or two.

As a guy that has bought a few bikes, what have you purchased and how much did you purchase them for. As someone that has not purchased a used bike, I don't know what these things are worth since there is no kelly blue book for bikes that I know of.

Thanx for all the help ya'll
Old 03-19-06, 02:05 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm assuming the knobbies on the Trek are used so what's the LBS gonna do w/ used tires? Since you're using it for commuting, maybe he'll kick them in. It's all a matter of making sure it fits you, then buying all the stuff you need as a bundle and have them give you a discount for buying all the extras (blinkies, lights, pump, lock & chain, spare tubes, patch kit, etc.) I'd try to get the right saddle and stem included as part of the price since it's part of making the bike fit right and if he won't throw in the slicks, have him discount them as part of an upgrade.

Old 03-19-06, 01:45 PM
NewG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got an e-mail from the shop with the trek:

"different bikes have has different things done to them depending on their conditions. 19.5" is the likely size for someone 6' - depends on body proportions in general though. you'll have to come in to see and fit the bike. tires negotiable."

Does this sound like someone you could bargain with? I kinda get the feeling of "yeah we may knock $5 off but you won't get much else." feelin.
Old 03-19-06, 02:05 PM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NewG
I just got an e-mail from the shop with the trek:

"different bikes have has different things done to them depending on their conditions. 19.5" is the likely size for someone 6' - depends on body proportions in general though. you'll have to come in to see and fit the bike. tires negotiable."

Does this sound like someone you could bargain with? I kinda get the feeling of "yeah we may knock $5 off but you won't get much else." feelin.
You could spend a lot of time thinking about this one, gathering opinions, reading a lot of different things into an email from them etc (and having no idea what you actually asked them about the pricing, it'd be impossible to even guess at how motivated they are to sell these things), but...

Why not just go in to the shop, look at the bikes, take one you like for a ride and see if you do actually enjoy riding it? If you do like the bike, then make them an offer and see if you can work out a deal that satisfies you. If the bikes are in good condition, and they're coming with a new warranty and support from the shop, then it seems like a decent deal as is.
Old 03-19-06, 03:59 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
He doesn't want to give the shop away so how much you get depends on the impression you make how well you negotiate. He has to cover his expenses too. Having said that, a rental bike probably already paid for itself, but it's new to you and it should be in like-new condition. Ask if the cassette, chain, cables, brake pads, etc. are new, inspect it carefully and give it a ride to make sure you like it.

Old 03-19-06, 05:35 PM
NewG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I know he doesn't want to give the shop away and I don't mean to take advantage of anyone but when you don't have a whole lot of money to begin with and you just had to drop $1000 to register to take the bar, another $2500 for a bar review course and god knows how much its going to cost for 3 nights at a hotel for the bar... money starts being a tad bit of a concern. Having said that, I know that you have to pay for quality and I don't mind doing that... but I don't want to be rooked in the process.

I think what I'll do is go in there and ride the bike and then ask for slicks, a rack and lifetime maint. (is there such a thing) for $300 out the door

That doesn't seem like thatthat much does it?
Old 03-19-06, 05:37 PM
squeakywheel
domestique

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a former rental bike for $150 once. It was pretty beat up. I think the price is set based on not stealing a sale of the LBS' new bikes. Start asking the LBS guy questions comparing the former rental to the low end new bikes he sells. Your angle should be, that a used bike should be at leaset half the price of the lowest priced new bike he sells.
Old 03-19-06, 05:45 PM
NewG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting angle squeaky. What was the LBS asking for the bike that you ended up getting for $150?
Old 03-20-06, 10:50 AM
NewG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm goign to be going into the shop today to ride the bike etc. What do you guys think I should be looking for?
Old 03-20-06, 11:13 AM
halfbiked
dangerous with tools

Bikes: fat, long, single & fast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should be looking for a bike that fits well.

2 years ago I had the same problem you're having. Eventually found a bike shop that is part of a program teaching job skills to at-risk youth. They take donated bicycles & repair/refurbish them for resale. I bought a sweet mid-80s fuji for $100. My wife bought a '69 schwinn typhoon for $125. You might try to find out if there's a comparable place in your area.
Old 03-20-06, 11:47 AM
NewG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where did you buy your bikes? It seems as though Sonoma and Marin county want quite a bit for their old bikes. I went to Tripsforkids in San Rafael yesterday and they had a early to mid 90's hardrock there for $175. I'm sure glad that money goes to a charity and everything but when there is no warranty or service and all sales are final... $175 seems a bit steep to me.