Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Which Pedals For My New Steed

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-17, 05:25 AM
Moriarty

Bikes: 2011 Trek Allant, 1990(?) Miele Tivoli Road Issue, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 2000 Kona Hahanna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5 at the Toronto Bike Sale last fall and stashed it in a back room until spring. Well, spring has sprung and it's time to get the bike ready to ride.

I've done the easy stuff so far - water bottle cages and a mount for my Polar M450. I'm also swapping the 23mm tires for 25 mm tires. Next thing up is pedals.

I'm 5'9" and the nasty device in my bathroom says I'm 269 pounds. On my old Miele roadbike, I have mountain bike SPDs. On my city bike, I have pedals that are SPD on one side and flat on the other. With this bike, I'm biting the bullet and jumping into actual road pedals and shoes. So my question is which pedals should I go with?

The bike is full Shimano 105 but I'm not sure I want to pay the price for 105 pedals when these are my first road pedals. I've been leaning towards the Shimano R550's instead. Anyone use them? Are there other Shimano pedals I should look at?

Or are there other companies that might offer something better. What pedals do you like and why? Are there any that a heavy guy should avoid?

Thanks.
Old 04-06-17, 07:30 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have these : Shimano Ultegra PD-6610 SPD-SL Road Pedal 6600 | eBay

And yes, it's the older version as shown in that link. I've used them for six years or so ... they've been bulletproof.

For reference, I'm 6'3", anywhere between 260 and 300, currently nearer the top of that range. I have an older pair of Shimano carbon fiber soled shoes I bought at the same time. The only thing I've had to do is replace the cleats as they wore out.

On your bike, I'd spring for the matching 105 pedals. Once you use them you'll never go back to regular pedals
Old 04-06-17, 08:41 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I really like the MTB style double entry better than single sided.

I have a set of Record pedals I don't use any more because I love the Eggbeaters better. Just so much easier to clip into and the clips do not leave me walking like a penguin when off the bike.

I forget what model Eggbeaters I have, I have had them that long, but they have a nice wide platform.
Old 04-06-17, 03:36 PM
NoGears

Bikes: Kona Big Unit Single Speed, Kona Private Jake Single Speed, Jamis Renegade Elite

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm done with road pedals. I've gone mountain bike on all my bikes. Specifically Time ATAC. I have three versions but they all look and function the same. Been using two pairs for 5+ years with no issues and just got a new pair yet to be installed so all three bikes will be the same.

If I ever went back to road pedals...I'd go with Speedplay. Still have mine...love them as far as road pedals are concerned.
Old 04-06-17, 07:45 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde

On your bike, I'd spring for the matching 105 pedals. Once you use them you'll never go back to regular pedals
Agree with this. Going to raod set up like this was the best thing ever for me
Old 04-07-17, 03:28 AM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SPD-SL pedals (and to a nearly identical degree, LOOK) are so wide, so flat, so supportive... they are wonderful for folks our size. MTB pedals tend to be designed to have cleats which allow you to do things other than ice skating on linoleum when off the bike, which is great when you're walking through the store but far less lovely for riding.
Old 04-07-17, 07:24 AM
NoGears

Bikes: Kona Big Unit Single Speed, Kona Private Jake Single Speed, Jamis Renegade Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Masque
SPD-SL pedals (and to a nearly identical degree, LOOK) are so wide, so flat, so supportive... they are wonderful for folks our size. MTB pedals tend to be designed to have cleats which allow you to do things other than ice skating on linoleum when off the bike, which is great when you're walking through the store but far less lovely for riding.
I don't feel one bit less supported or one bit disadvantaged riding mountain bike pedals on the road. And I was always one that thought mountain bike pedals/shoes on a mountain bike. Road pedals/shoes on a road bike. I rode 105's to start and upgraded to Speedplay and now all my bikes are mountain bike pedals. No regrets. Never going back. But of course as with all things....YMMV.
Old 04-07-17, 09:12 AM
ahanulec

Bikes: Felt F85, Proflex 757, Proflex 252

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Masque
I am backing this statement. Although I don't have top line shoes, both my road and SPD shoes were about the same price at $140 and $120 respectively.

My road shoes with the LOOK cleat bolted on are stiffer laterally than the MTB shoes. It's a big difference. Maybe I could remediate this with better MTN shoes, but for now I'll tell you I am much happier spending long hours in my road shoes.

Yes, these cleat designs require additional learning to clip in quickly and safely. You also need to walk carefully when off the bike. I will tell you that these are worth while drawbacks for the comfort benefits they offer.

I'll endorse my LOOK pedals and note that I've been riding these for over a year and was as heavy as 280 without issue. Pedals are in great shape.
Old 04-07-17, 09:20 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I use Speedplay on my roadbike. X5(chro-mo spindle) and X2(stainless spindle) have no stated weight limits:
Old 04-08-17, 06:09 AM
Moriarty

Bikes: 2011 Trek Allant, 1990(?) Miele Tivoli Road Issue, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 2000 Kona Hahanna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies. I do like my mountain bike pedals a lot and I've been tempted to stay with those but I want to try road pedals this time and see what the difference is for myself.
Old 04-08-17, 06:13 AM
Moriarty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
I use Speedplay on my roadbike. X5(chro-mo spindle) and X2(stainless spindle) have no stated weight limits:
Thanks. I hadn't really considered them before. Cool video.
Old 04-08-17, 06:33 AM
ahanulec

Bikes: Felt F85, Proflex 757, Proflex 252

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moriarty
Thanks everyone for the replies. I do like my mountain bike pedals a lot and I've been tempted to stay with those but I want to try road pedals this time and see what the difference is for myself.
I have been really happy with my decision to switch to road pedals. I wouldn't switch back on any dedicated road bikes.
Old 04-08-17, 03:14 PM
NoGears

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't find any advantage at all with road pedals/shoes. Only the disadvantage of slipping around, tearing up the bottom of your shoes, and walking like a duck when off the bike.
Old 04-08-17, 05:46 PM
NILS14

Bikes: Specialized Secteur Sport 2015, Vitus Zenium VRS 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used R550 pedals for a year then switched to Speedplay Ultra Light Action chromoly to help my knees, which worked. I love the float.

Keep in mind Speedplay requires more maintenance, but it's quick and easy to do.

If you go Speedplay, stay away from the titanium axles, they have a weight limit.
Old 04-09-17, 11:22 AM
Moriarty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NILS14
I used R550 pedals for a year then switched to Speedplay Ultra Light Action chromoly to help my knees, which worked. I love the float.

Keep in mind Speedplay requires more maintenance, but it's quick and easy to do.

If you go Speedplay, stay away from the titanium axles, they have a weight limit.
Thanks for the advice. What's involved in doing the maintenance? Is it just lubricating or is there more to it?
Old 04-09-17, 01:17 PM
NILS14

Bikes: Specialized Secteur Sport 2015, Vitus Zenium VRS 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. What's involved in doing the maintenance? Is it just lubricating or is there more to it?
You have to lubricate the cleats every 2-3 rides with a dry ptfe lube. You don't have to use the Speedplay brand but that's what I use. I lubricate the cleats every 100-150km or before the weekend ride.

You also have to grease the pedals every 2,000 miles or 6 months. You have to do it more often if you ride in wet or dusty conditions. Basically, when properly greased, the pedals shouldn't spin more than half a turn. You have to use a waterproof grease. Marine grease is perfect and very cheap. The grease gun will be the more expensive part.

All the details are in the FAQ section of their website.

If you use 4-hole shoes, you need to buy the protector kit which are plates that go between the sole and the cleats. I use 3-hole shoes with the included adapter and it works very well. 4-hole shoes are typically more expensive and less common though by no-means rare.
Old 04-09-17, 04:30 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I love the LOOK Carbon blade pedals on my four road bikes. Easy in, easy out and very stable.

Having said that, however, Shimano pedals are a great value.

You may wish to stick to what you already know, but on a road version.

Good luck.