Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Tamland 1 Decision? 2016 vs 2017

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-17, 04:29 PM
budd1e_lee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First off new here, been finding great information on my search for a bike, so thanks for that everyone.

I've found a '16 Tamland 1, assembled at a local shop listed at $1199. Almost bought it on site but decided to think on it. Came here and found the Raleigh corporate deal to discover that I can get a '17 for $1139, but it would need assembly. It looks like the biggest difference from 16 to 17 is the carbon fork, unless I'm missing something else. Tires are slightly more narrow on the newer version, and the rims are Impulse on the '16 but U28 on the '17, I'm not sure I would know the difference.

Long story short, which would you buy? I've never assembled a bike, but am reasonably mechanical. I'm coming from an '07 Cannondale CAAAD8 Optimo 1 which is just too stretched and stiff for the riding around town and commuting to work that I do primarily. Also I want to be able to put on fenders and racks for the Portland weather.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-13-17, 06:51 PM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I think thru axles were new for 17 instead of skewers.
Old 07-13-17, 08:30 PM
NoGears

Bikes: Kona Big Unit Single Speed, Kona Private Jake Single Speed, Jamis Renegade Elite

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd definitely go for the Tamland 1. It has SRAM 1x which I love and thru axles front and rear. Tamland 2 has Shimano 105 which is still good stuff. Also thru axles front and rear. Carbon fork is a great upgrade as well. Assembly is easy. You pretty much bolt some parts on and tune the shifting and brakes. Lots of videos on the subject on youtube and if nothing else, get it together then take it to a shop for a tune. It's not like you get a box of parts and have to figure out how everything goes together. The bike will be like 85% assembled. You just have to bolt on the handle bars, run the cables, put the wheels on, and tune. Not really much else to it.

Last edited by NoGears; 07-13-17 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-13-17, 11:17 PM
budd1e_lee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I've ordered the '17. Now I wait... ugh.
Old 07-16-17, 02:45 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by budd1e_lee
Thanks guys. I've ordered the '17. Now I wait... ugh.

Tamland 1 stayed with 105.The 2 went from Shimano ultegra double to Sram 1x11.

Assemble is easy.I'm new to disc brakes,and found that the hardest part for me to getting them adjusted right.

Ihe shipping from Raleigh corp was fast.Going guess around A week,they have A warehouse on the west coast and I think the other warehouse is in Wisconsin.They use Fedex which I had to sign for bikes.One bike was A day late,the other two came A day early.And I was not expecting the bike that day,I just happened to be home.

Welcome to the bike forum

Joe

Albany

Last edited by Joeyseven; 07-18-17 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-17-17, 04:30 PM
budd1e_lee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven

Tamland 1 stayed with 105.The 2 went from Shimano ultegra double to Sram 1x11.

Assemble is easy.I'm new to disc brakes,and found that the hardest part for me to getting them adjusted right.

For me the shipping from Raleigh corp was fast.Going guess around A week,they have A warehouse on the west coast and I think the other warehouse is in Wisconsin.They use Fedex which I had to sign for bikes.One bike was A day late,the other two came A day early.And I was not excepting the bike that day,I just happened to be home.

Welcome to the bike forum

Joe

Albany
Scheduled for delivery Wednesday this week, the wife is going to work from home for me. I'm pumped!
Old 07-17-17, 04:46 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Man, Raleigh has some good deals. The carbon Merit Sport with Tiagra is $899.