Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-17, 06:50 PM
adele87

Bikes: 2018 Trek CrossRip 2 & 2017 Trek Emonda S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

What's the difference between Track and Road Cycling?
Old 09-09-17, 07:21 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by adele87
thigh circumference

Last edited by MinnMan; 09-09-17 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-10-17, 08:06 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Track and field is a sport which includes athletic contests established on the skills of running, jumping, and throwing. The name is derived from the sport's typical venue: a stadium with an oval running track enclosing a grass field where the throwing and jumping events take place.

Road cycling is the most widespread form of cycling. It includes recreational, racing, and utility cycling. Road cyclists are generally expected to obey the same rules and laws as other vehicle drivers or riders and may also be vehicular cyclists.
Old 09-10-17, 11:14 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Track cycling is done on an oval, banked track using fixed gear bikes with drop bars and no brakes.

Road cycling is done on roads, usually on bikes with brakes, several gears and the ability to coast.
Old 09-13-17, 09:46 AM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Info on the two disciplines on the attached web pages from British Cycling' site. they include videos and brief explanations.

I'm assuming that you're very new to cycling. People on this site are usually pretty helpful to newbies, usually. I was once pretty sarcastic to a newcomer like you and have regretted it ever since.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/ge...adcycling?c=EN
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/ge...ckcycling?c=EN

Ignore Columbo357. He either didn't understand your question or he was being rather sarky/patronising
Old 09-13-17, 09:48 AM
adele87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Track cycling is done on an oval, banked track using fixed gear bikes with drop bars and no brakes. Road cycling is done on roads, usually on bikes with brakes, several gears and the ability to coast.

I am glad someone got what I was asking. I know in the olympics there is both track cycling and road cycling, and they are different areas in which one can compete. I really enjoy watching track personally. They seem like the skill set in which to ride might be similar. But since the track is often on a slated oval, I would imagine it takes a lot of skill.

I'm assuming that you're very new to cycling. People on this site are usually pretty helpful to newbies, usually. I was once pretty sarcastic to a newcomer like you and have regretted it ever since.

I think it depends on what you mean by new to cycling. I have been biking since I was 8. In college, I bought my first bike store bike and used it to commute to class every day to save money on gas. I am just starting to get interested in biking as a sport/form of exercise, it hasn't been something I was interested in before. In the past I mostly used it as transportation. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited by adele87; 09-13-17 at 09:52 AM. Reason: put quotes in
Old 09-13-17, 10:02 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Track cycling is done on an oval, banked track using fixed gear bikes with drop bars and no brakes.

Road cycling is done on roads, usually on bikes with brakes, several gears and the ability to coast.
USAC requires bikes in road events to have two brakes. I assume UCI does too.
Old 09-13-17, 10:42 AM
adele87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It'd be cool to race someday, but I am spending time currently on just learning to ride my new bike. I rode a 2008 Fuji Nevada 4.0 in college that I still have, but it's so old I decided I need one to fit what I'm using biking for now. The Fuji I used as a commuter, and weather where I lived in college was often cold and rainy, so having a mountain bike worked in that situation.

I'm currently using a 2017 Trek Emonda S and am learning on how to use the gears currently. It's a road bike and I have had a mountain bike my whole life, so the experience is very different.
Old 09-13-17, 11:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Even within track racing, there are several events.. in # 2, those legs are on the match sprinters..

Pursuit races , for just one, they are racing their opponent over longer distances, starting from opposite sides of the track, 1 wins when they catch the other,
or the relative difference when they cover the event distance, of say 10,000 meters..
Old 09-13-17, 05:52 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Men's pursuit race distance is actually 4,000 meters.
There are lots of track (velodrome) racing on you tube. You can even see Steve Hegg win the pursuit final at the '84 Olympics.
The most exciting is the Kerin races.
Old 09-13-17, 06:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If you're near a velodrome, I'd encourage you to check it out. It's an absolute blast. You need a track bike, of course, but most tracks have rental bikes for beginners. There are training sessions for newbies and there's a bit of an adjustment if you've never ridden a fixed gear. But it's a great way to get into racing, or just to try something new.
Old 09-18-17, 01:32 PM
adele87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
If you're near a velodrome, I'd encourage you to check it out. It's an absolute blast. You need a track bike, of course, but most tracks have rental bikes for beginners. There are training sessions for newbies and there's a bit of an adjustment if you've never ridden a fixed gear. But it's a great way to get into racing, or just to try something new.
The closest velodrome is outdoors and about 300 miles north of here. :-)
Old 09-27-17, 03:47 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
thigh circumference
How come the one with the smallest circumference is in the winners spot?
Old 09-27-17, 03:54 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
UCI has been switching things around for the Olympic track events. Winning the track omnium is a different combo than it was. Roadies can win Olympic track overall/omnium now more easily than they could in the past.

It used to be the traditional way to win sprints was go slow/mark your opponent and jump hard at the right time. The builds were more like those two on the ends.
More riders are hitting it early, and going faster. They are not as big, but can maintain speed longer. Some stuff is the same of course, but other is changing.
Old 09-30-17, 02:33 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Track cycling is done on an oval, banked track using fixed gear bikes with drop bars and no brakes. Road cycling is done on roads, usually on bikes with brakes, several gears and the ability to coast.

I am glad someone got what I was asking. I know in the olympics there is both track cycling and road cycling, and they are different areas in which one can compete. I really enjoy watching track personally. They seem like the skill set in which to ride might be similar. But since the track is often on a slated oval, I would imagine it takes a lot of skill.

I think it depends on what you mean by new to cycling. I have been biking since I was 8. In college, I bought my first bike store bike and used it to commute to class every day to save money on gas. I am just starting to get interested in biking as a sport/form of exercise, it hasn't been something I was interested in before. In the past I mostly used it as transportation. I hope that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense. Good luck with your expanded area of interest.