Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire Wear Pattern?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tire Wear Pattern?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-20, 09:48 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Tire Wear Pattern?

Long story short, the tires on my Giant road bike are wearing down the right side of center. There is a 3/8" wide solid strip down the center of the tire with grooving off to either side and it's wearing down the right side of this strip as if I were constantly leaning the bike over to the right while riding. 27 x 1.25 Kendra tires. Still has nipples showing on the left side of center while worn away on the right. Any ideas?
Old 03-27-20, 04:44 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
If this was a car one would question the wheel alignment. Because I can assess frame/wheel alignment easily I would start there. Your abilities or budget might suggest another path. Andy
Old 03-27-20, 04:58 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Front or rear tire, or both?
Old 03-27-20, 05:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
I once had my wheel cockeyed in the dropouts and didn't notice for a while. The dropouts were the old style campy's from the '70s.

I'd check to be sure that the bead on one side isn't still down too low. Most tires, or at least the ones I've used have a witness line that visually shows you if the bead of the tire is on the bead seat of the rim.
Old 03-27-20, 05:32 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I once had my wheel cockeyed in the dropouts and didn't notice for a while. The dropouts were the old style campy's from the '70s.

I'd check to be sure that the bead on one side isn't still down too low. Most tires, or at least the ones I've used have a witness line that visually shows you if the bead of the tire is on the bead seat of the rim.
TIL what the hell that line was for... Wow.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 03-28-20, 09:55 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Front or rear tire, or both?
Both.
Old 03-28-20, 09:58 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
If this was a car one would question the wheel alignment. Because I can assess frame/wheel alignment easily I would start there. Your abilities or budget might suggest another path. Andy
If it were just the front I would agree with you about alignment. But it appears to be both front and rear tires. Also, wouldn't the brakes be off if the wheels weren't seated in the QR's properly? I mention that because someone else brought it up. The bike is a late 80's Giant.
Old 03-28-20, 11:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
I sometimes lay a long straight edge across both my tires. If it doesn't touch each tire in two places, then I suspect something is amiss with alignment. Could just be both wheels don't run in the same track due to various things. But if it's far off, it'll give you something to ponder.
Old 03-28-20, 01:42 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

The brakes have a fairly wide range of adjustment (both centering WRT rim and pad heights) to be able to accommodate a wheel that's a bit off center or not coplanar with the main triangle. So the brakes might not be even "bothered" by a wheel that's off line and thus if that's the aligning tool used the judgement might be that the wheels are in line because the brakes are too (WRT the rims). One would expect both tires to have some uneven wearing if one was out of line. It would make the bike track crooked and thus (love that word) to make the bike steer straight the rider provides a slight steering force. So both tires are seeing some scrubbing/steering forces.

Whether this is what's going on I have no idea but I have seen this before. Andy
Old 03-28-20, 05:32 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Thanks Andy. I took it for a ride today and really studied both my riding style and the bike. This may sound weird, but it looks like I lean over to the side while riding. Just this bike and only when I have my hands on the bars. When I ride without hands. the bike comes up straight. When I got back, I jumped on my MTB and studied the way I rode it-no lean at all. with or without hands (it's really a lot easier to ride without hands because of the seat geometry and other factors) but definitely no lean. So is it the bike frame, or is it the rider?
Old 03-28-20, 07:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

"Show me a perfect rider and I'll build a perfect bike" so said who is considered to be the father of much of the modern American frame building.

One of the two, rider or bike, can be measured and possibly made straighter for far less then the other. Andy
Old 03-29-20, 09:30 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
"Show me a perfect rider and I'll build a perfect bike" so said who is considered to be the father of much of the modern American frame building.

One of the two, rider or bike, can be measured and possibly made straighter for far less then the other. Andy
Old 03-30-20, 02:32 PM
e2py

Bikes: Felt F70

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you attribute this to the lateral pitch/slope of the part of the road you spend most time riding? My tires regularly wear more to the left of center.
Likes For e2py:
Old 03-30-20, 04:27 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Are they directional tires? An unsatisfactory workaround would be to flip the tires so that wear begins on the other side.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-30-20, 07:08 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by e2py
Can you attribute this to the lateral pitch/slope of the part of the road you spend most time riding? My tires regularly wear more to the left of center.
Mine are wearing on the right side. Let me know when your wear down the left side and we can swap em,
Old 03-30-20, 07:10 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Are they directional tires? An unsatisfactory workaround would be to flip the tires so that wear begins on the other side.
Haha, that's the plan.
Old 06-16-20, 07:00 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Thanks for all the posts trying to figure it out, but today I think I got it. A short while back someone posted about saddles and how they tried a new saddle and really liked it which got me to thinking that I have one of those in my parts bin. I dug it out and swapped it a couple weeks ago and just noticed today that tire wear is right down the center and I'm no longer leaning off side. I haven't dug the old seat out of the bin to see if there is something weird going on with it, but it was definitely the problem. New seat is much more comfortable too.