Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless truth for road tires = big risk on bumps

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubeless truth for road tires = big risk on bumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-19, 08:00 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
It would need to be taken with a grain of salt, given the rebranding by team sponsors:
I'm talking about a list of the actual tires used, not claimed to be used. The G-One Speed is pretty easy to identify.
Old 04-21-19, 12:28 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Yes it does happen occasionally, but it's nowhere near as common as you claim.
Whatever.. I volunteer at a high-volume big-city bike Co-op. I spent an hour yesterday trying to salvage clincher wheel in which the rim hooks were damaged from an obvious impact. I see this stuff every week. If the wheel hadn't been high-end, it would have been chopped up to salvage the hub.

We have a couple of 50-pound bins of decent hubs (mostly rears) in which the rim was toast.

Regardless - back to the point: the only credible scenario for a pro rider being on clinchers/tubeless in actual race conditions is that their tire and wheel sponsors do not have tubular options. Well, the team should have picked better sponsors - but that's water under the bridge.

The sponsors should allow 'rebranding' in order to give their riders any chance of success. As long as the sponsors labels are predominantly featured, your average weekend -warrior dentist doesn't care about this stuff. Or the underlying fact that pros don't ride clinchers.
Old 04-21-19, 01:50 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc

In any case, you cannot draw meaningful information from this, because none of us ride 54 km of cobbles on a weekly basis.
Come and ride on some of the roads in India
Old 04-21-19, 02:12 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
As has been pointed out, tubulars can pinch flat, just not as easily as clinchers.
I wonder if the difference in views is based on what is considered a pinch flat or not.

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/tubular-tires-article
Old 04-21-19, 02:19 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Whatever.. I volunteer at a high-volume big-city bike Co-op. I spent an hour yesterday trying to salvage clincher wheel in which the rim hooks were damaged from an obvious impact. I see this stuff every week. If the wheel hadn't been high-end, it would have been chopped up to salvage the hub.
So only the bead hooks were damaged(no flat spot on the rim)?

I'm just not seeing this frequently these days, and I see plenty of flat-spotted wheels.
Old 04-22-19, 04:27 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Here's a great article on what it took to get carbon wheels working for riding the cobbles. Two big things - tires of proper width and proper inflation made a big difference. I would guess this was a big part of it maybe most of it presuming the "engine" was up to speed.

https://blog.silca.cc/road-to-roubai...lete-story-1-0
That link is very good. Josh Poertner writes well and always has something to say. Quite a bit more info there than in this thread.

One thing to bear in mind while reading the article is that while Poertner/Silca/Zipp is very thorough, the status quo ante in the background is chaotic and random and superstitious. I say all the time, including on this forum, don't believe your pressure gauge. Read how far they went before controlling that variable. And what the input was that made them think of it.
Old 04-22-19, 06:10 PM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer

We have a couple of 50-pound bins of decent hubs (mostly rears) in which the rim was toast.

Regardless - back to the point: the only credible scenario for a pro rider being on clinchers/tubeless in actual race conditions is that their tire and wheel sponsors do not have tubular options. Well, the team should have picked better sponsors - but that's water under the bridge.

The sponsors should allow 'rebranding' in order to give their riders any chance of success. As long as the sponsors labels are predominantly featured, your average weekend -warrior dentist doesn't care about this stuff. Or the underlying fact that pros don't ride clinchers.
We are talking about carbon rims here, correct ?
Been a while since Pros' have raced on Alu rims
Old 04-22-19, 06:19 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
We are talking about carbon rims here, correct ?
Been a while since Pros' have raced on Alu rims
It's been a while since he's been on modern components.