Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Looking for turn-by-turn voice navigation app

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Looking for turn-by-turn voice navigation app

Old 03-05-19, 05:56 PM
PastorJim

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Schwinn Sidewinder 26" Men's (SRAM Max Pro) & Trident TW Bents

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Looking for turn-by-turn voice navigation app

I currently use RunGo App for a turn-by-turn voice navigation. I like it because I make the routes and then turn it on when cycling. It tells me when to turn, with fair warning especially considering I'm at cycling speed and not running speed. But if I miss a turn which happens quite frequently just forget it. It will not tell you how to get back on track just that your off your route. Is there a better app out there that I can make a route and then it gives me state-of-the art turn-by-turn voice navigation. Thanks!
Old 03-06-19, 10:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
back seat driver? (wife?)
Old 03-06-19, 12:28 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Komoot
Old 03-06-19, 02:02 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Get Hammerhead Karoo, side load either Komoot or Osmand and pair a BT speaker. Other than that, I think Komoot on a smartphone might work but you'll have all the issues that go with that (battery, mount, etc...)
Old 03-06-19, 02:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Google Maps does a good job at this.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-06-19, 02:39 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Ridewithgps.
Also the best route planning app ever. Strava, Garmin Connect, Google just suck in comparison.
I tell it to notify me 60 meters before turn. Good enough for a decent notification at 20 mph. But you can select any distance you want.
Get the pay version. It's worth it.

Last edited by base2; 03-06-19 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-06-19, 02:41 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
strap an old TomTom to yer bars!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-08-19 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-06-19, 06:51 PM
PastorJim

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Schwinn Sidewinder 26" Men's (SRAM Max Pro) & Trident TW Bents

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Google Maps does a good job at this.
It has to be able to track off road trails too.
Old 03-07-19, 01:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Originally Posted by PastorJim
It has to be able to track off road trails too.
It works for bike trails here, but I hear it doesn't work in all regions. Try it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-07-19, 02:47 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Although I no longer use my phone or my phone app any longer to track my rides, I would suggest RideWithGPS as probably the best for turn by turn. Several of the riders in my cross state ride group use it and they say it works flawlessly.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-08-19, 11:58 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PastorJim
I currently use RunGo App for a turn-by-turn voice navigation. I like it because I make the routes and then turn it on when cycling. It tells me when to turn, with fair warning especially considering I'm at cycling speed and not running speed. But if I miss a turn which happens quite frequently just forget it. It will not tell you how to get back on track just that your off your route. Is there a better app out there that I can make a route and then it gives me state-of-the art turn-by-turn voice navigation. Thanks!

The Locus Pro app I use gives you the option to use voice turn by turn. The U.I. on the app is very much over the top so not the easiest app to operate. There is a setting in the Locus app that allows you to set the app to prompt you if you go off route. I think I have mine set for something like 150 ft. After that it gives me a beep. At that point I have to stop to check the map to see what I've done. Can't remember right off hand if it will re-route if on the road but likely it gives you the option. I've just never needed or wanted to use a function like that.

I use the RWGPS website to plan my routes. While I can't download directly to my Locus app anymore I can download to my Dropbox acct. From there I can access any downloaded route directly to my Locus app. Locus lets me use a number of maps that are incorp. within the app. I generally use Open Map Cycle as that map will include some off road trails as well as MUP. Locus like some of the others also allows you to purchase some maps for off line use.

The Komoot app looks very promising. I may have to try that myself as apparently it too allows you down load maps for off line use, a big plus.

Last but not least is the Cuesheet app. The one big plus about Cuesheet is that ( AFAIK ) it stills allows me to access all the routes I've saved right from the RWGPS website. The U.I. is rather simple too making it easy to work with. Been a number of years since I've use my Cuesheet app though so I'm sure there must be updates that might change some of that stuff. Not sure if Cuesheet gives prompts if off route but it might. Worth looking into if you want something that ( used to be ) more simple to work with.
Old 03-08-19, 12:06 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
Last but not least is the Cuesheet app. The one big plus about Cuesheet is that ( AFAIK ) it stills allows me to access all the routes I've saved right from the RWGPS website. The U.I. is rather simple too making it easy to work with. Been a number of years since I've use my Cuesheet app though so I'm sure there must be updates that might change some of that stuff. Not sure if Cuesheet gives prompts if off route but it might. Worth looking into if you want something that ( used to be ) more simple to work with.
I don't think that's available any longer.
Old 03-08-19, 03:02 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
The paid version of Ride with GPS is a great option. I use it often for navigating routes created on their web site.
Old 03-09-19, 02:29 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
I don't think that's available any longer ( referring to the Cuesheet app ).
You may be right. I don't see it listing anymore when I do a search.

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 03-10-19 at 03:43 AM.
Old 03-10-19, 03:41 AM
londonist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This may be a slightly different answer than you are looking for (not app solutions persay) but there are a few stripped down nav products that in the process of development or have recently entered the market that you could look at. Using one of these (or just investing in a bicycle mount so you can use bluetooth headphones with google maps) may give you more flexibility/control to get updated directions as you ride. I have been conducting research on the subject for a project for my Masters and one of the new stripped down, turn-by-turn navs in development: is Beeline, which is able for pre-order now https://beeline.co/. Although I am not sure what the audio capabilities are for it.
Old 03-25-19, 07:22 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Another vote for Komoot. I use their voice turn-by-turn directions when I'm somewhere I don't know well. I find Google maps is too formulaic and just directs you to the most direct route (I once ended up on the shoulder of a busy 4 lane highway as trucks thundered by) but Komoot and other mapping apps seem to use a more bike friendly routes. It also updates if you go off-piste. Basic Komoot is free but maps cost $ and so if you are in a region that is outside your home area the route is displayed as line but no map - the turn-by-turn still works though.