Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

TERN Verge P9 eko

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

TERN Verge P9 eko

Old 04-07-19, 09:56 AM
spikyone

Bikes: Teen Verge P9 EKO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
TERN Verge P9 eko

Hi, I was just thinking, currently I知 riding the Tern Verge P9 (9 speed Sora) and hitting the wall at 26-27kph av speed. I tend to ride with friends who are road bikers and they are posting 29-30kph averages atm. However over a distance after 40-50km I知 beginning to get dropped quite badly.

I知 querying my fitness level or is it the bike? How fast and how Long can one ride on a folding bike anyway? Am I needlessly pedaling away energy trying to keep up, should I bite the bullet and get a road bike instead? Or how much gain can I get switching to say, drop bars and a faster wheel set? Although I think the current wheel set is quite ok too.
Old 04-07-19, 10:57 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,185 Times in 961 Posts
@spikyone, welcome to Bike Forums and Folding Bikes.

The diameter of the wheels makes a big difference in gearing. So comparing your 20"/451mm wheels to 700c on your friends' road bikes is not a good comparison. Currently the Verge P9 says it has 30"-90" gear inches, which is not a real high end. Swapping to a larger chainring will give you a higher gear but you will need a longer chain and possibly a tighter range cassette. But these are inexpensive compared to a whole new bike.

What is the current range of your cassette and the tooth count on your chainring?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 04-07-19, 01:51 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
@spikyoneSwapping to a larger chainring will give you a higher gear...
Just be aware that a larger chainring could interfere with the chainstay. Here are images of the front sprocket on my Verge S11i... looks like plenty of clearance assuming the frames are similar. Hahaha! I forget how many teeth are on my ring here.

Chainring to chainstay clearance Verge S11i

Chainring to chainstay clearance Verge S11i
Old 04-07-19, 04:12 PM
spikyone

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks!
Currently the chainring is a 55T FSA Vero item, using a Sunrace 11-32T cassette. The bike is all standard apart from a new chain.
I was wondering this should be about the max I can go before i start giving up hill climbing ability, thats why I was querying my fitness level/stamina instead. But I wasn't sure..
Old 04-07-19, 07:08 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
For the speeds you're talking about, the current gearing on that bike should not be an issue. My best guess would be wind resistance from a more upright posture compared to your road bike companions. Switching to a drop bar could help a lot, mostly because it would stretch you out more and thus get you lower too. If that still hasn't lowered you enough, then you could buy a shorter length handlepost from Tern. If you like the bike enough to sink some money into component changes, then I would start with the handlebars, which will also require new shifters and possibly new brakes.
Old 04-07-19, 10:52 PM
spikyone

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Aha..ok got that! Will see what I can do..Either way I still need to sink in around $300 at least to get those parts as mine is a non T bar handlepost and non-Andros stem model so I need to budget for that too.
Old 04-08-19, 02:36 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by spikyone
Aha..ok got that! Will see what I can do..Either way I still need to sink in around $300 at least to get those parts as mine is a non T bar handlepost and non-Andros stem model so I need to budget for that too.
I have a 290mm T type handlepost from a Tern Verge X11 (removed from a new bike) and an Andros 65 stem (purchased new but ended up not being used) which I would be happy to part with. Happy to ship anywhere. Drop me a PM if interested.
Old 04-08-19, 09:10 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I知 querying my fitness level or is it the bike? How fast and how Long can one ride on a folding bike anyway? Am I needlessly pedaling away energy trying to keep up, should I bite the bullet and get a road bike instead? Or how much gain can I get switching to say, drop bars and a faster wheel set? Although I think the current wheel set is quite ok too.
Can you borrow or rent a roadbike to try? Buying another bike just to find out it's actually the rider seems an expensive experiment.
Most roadies use clipless pedals; what about you?

Have done 100 mile/160 km charity rides on my folder; no problems. No issues keeping up with roadies:

100 Miles(160 Km.) on a Brompton by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 04-03-24, 11:40 PM
Sentinel1

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks!
Currently the chainring is a 55T FSA Vero item, using a Sunrace 11-32T cassette. The bike is all standard apart from a new chain.
I was wondering this should be about the max I can go before i start giving up hill climbing ability, thats why I was querying my fitness level/stamina instead. But I wasn't sure..
You don't have to give up hill climbing all Tern verge 20 inch wheel bikes 406mm. Can take up to 36 teeth cassettes. Both my X10 and P9 are rocking 11--36 cassettes. And 55 teeth chainwheels on the front. That gives me plenty of gear inches 28 to 94. For hill climbing and good speed. Try working on getting your cadence up. Too many people go on about Gear inches on the top end. That's all well and good. But you have to have the legs to get a decent cadence too. And few cyclists outside of Pro circles can stay three figures in cadence for even a minute on the highest gear.

I have managed over 40kph on both the X10 and P9. The X10 is amazing on hills weighing only 20.9lbs. The P9 as I have it now weighs 23.3lbs.

Last edited by Sentinel1; 04-03-24 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-04-24, 10:41 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Old 04-04-24, 12:10 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 365 Posts
Enough with the Tern Shilling and Zombie threads already!
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 04-04-24, 01:54 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
The sad part is I was contemplating a Tren Eclipse before this guy joined the forums... So disappointing.
Old 04-04-24, 02:30 PM
Sentinel1

Originally Posted by tds101
The sad part is I was contemplating a Tren Eclipse before this guy joined the forums... So disappointing.
I don't see the point of full sized folding bikes. Just get a normal bike. Folders are all compromises. I wouldnt ride an eclipse or Tern Joe if they were given to me. I hate full sized bikes. Small wheels rule and always will for me. And knowing I can take my X10 anywhere and not have to worry about some dirt bag pulling out an angle grinder. Thats what its all about. Then I unfold it and fly down the road at 35kph.

And Tern don't need your money stick with the inferior brands. You either know quality or you don't.

Last edited by Sentinel1; 04-04-24 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-04-24, 02:45 PM
Sentinel1

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
I will praise the best. The Zombies are the ones who think Bromptons are great bikes at 」3000 or more for a decent one. When they can't even climb steep hills. And are a terrible ride.

Last edited by Sentinel1; 04-04-24 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-04-24, 03:39 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Sentinel1
I don't see the point of full sized folding bikes. Just get a normal bike. Folders are all compromises. I wouldnt ride an eclipse or Tern Joe if they were given to me. I hate full sized bikes. Small wheels rule and always will for me. And knowing I can take my X10 anywhere and not have to worry about some dirt bag pulling out an angle grinder. Thats what its all about. Then I unfold it and fly down the road at 35kph.

And Tern don't need your money stick with the inferior brands. You either know quality or you don't.
I didn't ask if you see the point of full-sized bikes, so your opinion is moot. I own multiple bikes, including a decently spec'd ebike, mountain bike, and nice crusin' 27.5b BMX bike. My folders are all quite good as well, but I don't act like I'm shilling for a company (Tern?) like you do. And TA-DAAAA!!! I own a Tern Joe P24, and have never had an issue with it, except a flat or 2 after running over glass or a nail. You not liking full-sized bikes is a "YOU" problem. You liking small-sized wheels is, again, a "YOU" problem, because all you do is spew commercials for Tern. The X10/X11/etc are all faulty framed bikes, and are ALL most likely on the recall list. THAT'S what's up broham! And that lie about you riding at 35 MPH... Yeah... More POPPYCOCK!!!

And like I said, all your claims equate to a bunch of HOGWASH!!! Claiming you know quality and that others don't provides proof of your ignorance.

My usage is different. You're too much of a closed-minded snob to see anyone else's opinion as valid in that small mind of yours...
Old 04-04-24, 03:42 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I will praise the best. The Zombies are the ones who think Bromptons are great bikes at 」3000 or more for a decent one. When they can't even climb steep hills. And are a terrible ride.
PS: I see why you're not a member of the cycle chat forums... They'd ban you in the EU for the ridiculousness that you vehemently spew. You're hilarious!
Old 04-04-24, 03:59 PM
Sentinel1

I didn't ask if you see the point of full-sized bikes, so your opinion is moot. I own multiple bikes, including a decently spec'd ebike, mountain bike, and nice crusin' 27.5b BMX bike. My folders are all quite good as well, but I don't act like I'm shilling for a company (Tern?) like you do. And TA-DAAAA!!! I own a Tern Joe P24, and have never had an issue with it, except a flat or 2 after running over glass or a nail. You not liking full-sized bikes is a "YOU" problem. You liking small-sized wheels is, again, a "YOU" problem, because all you do is spew commercials for Tern. The X10/X11/etc are all faulty framed bikes, and are ALL most likely on the recall list. THAT'S what's up broham! And that lie about you riding at 35 MPH... Yeah... More POPPYCOCK!!!

And like I said, all your claims equate to a bunch of HOGWASH!!! Claiming you know quality and that others don't provides proof of your ignorance.

My usage is different. You're too much of a closed-minded snob to see anyone else's opinion as valid in that small mind of yours...
Both the X10 and X11 are still going strong. Don't be jealous. Big bikes suck. Big clumsy ugly bikes can't rule my world. I'm gonna talk about the best you can keep the rest bro!

Last edited by Sentinel1; 04-04-24 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-04-24, 04:05 PM
Sentinel1

PS: I see why you're not a member of the cycle chat forums... They'd ban you in the EU for the ridiculousness that you vehemently spew. You're hilarious!
I talk for the best. All those big ugly bikes are an eye soar. Cycle club who are they? The only thing I see is the look on fake roadies faces. When they see my little superb folders staying on their asses.

An old man like me. In my prime I would have dusted those wannabes. And when did I say I ride 35mph. I've hit 30mph top speed on the X11. And 27mph on the X10. X18. When I was 56. At 25 when I was 165lbs of athlete. I would have gone even faster. But these incredible folders didn't exist then. And I had to make do with big ugly bikes like Treks and Marins.

Last edited by Sentinel1; 04-04-24 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-04-24, 04:26 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Both the X10 and X11 are still going strong. Don't be jealous. Big bikes suck. Big clumsy ugly bikes can't rule my world. I'm gonna talk about the best you can keep the rest bro!
I talk for the best. All those big ugly bikes are an eye soar. Cycle club who are they? The only thing I see is the look on fake roadies faces. When they see my little superb folders staying on their asses.

An old man like me. In my prime I would have dusted those wannabes. And when did I say I ride 35mph. I've hit 30mph top speed on the X11. And 27mph on the X10. X18. When I was 56. At 25 when I was 165lbs of athlete. I would have gone even faster. But these incredible folders didn't exist then. And I had to make do with big ugly bikes like Treks and Marins.
Not verry good with that trash talk actually, considering I'm a old man myself, and I can easily afford those premium bikes you've discussed in prior threads. Too bad that faulty foldie of yours isn't the fastest Tern folder. That snobbishness of yours truly is quite flawed apparently. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Tern has announced the two new folding bikes in the Eclipse family, the Eclipse X22 and Eclipse P20. They are claimed to be the fastest folding bikes in the world.

https://www.bikefolded.com/tern-ecli...-folding-bike/

Old 04-04-24, 04:33 PM
Sentinel1

Not verry good with that trash talk actually, considering I'm a old man myself, and I can easily afford those premium bikes you've discussed in prior threads. Too bad that faulty foldie of yours isn't the fastest Tern folder. That snobbishness of yours truly is quite flawed apparently. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Tern has announced the two new folding bikes in the Eclipse family, the Eclipse X22 and Eclipse P20. They are claimed to be the fastest folding bikes in the world.

https://www.bikefolded.com/tern-ecli...-folding-bike/

I've tried one. There's little in it against the X11. A few KM. But try taking that on a bus if you had an emergency. That's the point the X10 especially is almost as fast as that Eclipse and I can take it anywhere. I've got a bag for it with a carry strap. And have gone into cafes had my lunch with my X10 right next to me. Try taking an eclipse in a cafe. No it will have to stay outside. And give some druggie the chance to introduce it to his little friend.

See you miss the whole point of folders.
Old 04-04-24, 05:03 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I've tried one. There's little in it against the X11. A few KM. But try taking that on a bus if you had an emergency. That's the point the X10 especially is almost as fast as that Eclipse and I can take it anywhere. I've got a bag for it with a carry strap. And have gone into cafes had my lunch with my X10 right next to me. Try taking an eclipse in a cafe. No it will have to stay outside. And give some druggie the chance to introduce it to his little friend.

See you miss the whould have even cared, if you haden't ole point of folders.
Apparently, you've missed the entire point. In NYC I can take any folder on a bus, train, etc, without issue. As long as it's not motorized there's no restrictions on folders. Again, you mention druggies, which is, again, a YOU problem. Point is, the Verge is faster, and it's also a V2 model, of which you're not in possession of. Your bike is a safety hazard, and you've proven yourself to be nothing more than a corporate shill. No one would have cared, if you hadn't been so obnoxious and condescending towards other members here in the forums. I'm so glad that the people I'd met in London proved to be nothing like you. The British people were so wonderful. I'll make sure to ignore whatever you post from now on, as I see everything will be a one-sided waste of oxygen...

Enjoy the faulty, safety hazard Tern that you own. Hopefully your ancient self doesn't have a catastrophic failure while jumping nonexistent curbs commuting.
Old 04-04-24, 05:16 PM
Sentinel1

Apparently, you've missed the entire point. In NYC I can take any folder on a bus, train, etc, without issue. As long as it's not motorized there's no restrictions on folders. Again, you mention druggies, which is, again, a YOU problem. Point is, the Verge is faster, and it's also a V2 model, of which you're not in possession of. Your bike is a safety hazard, and you've proven yourself to be nothing more than a corporate shill. No one would have cared, if you hadn't been so obnoxious and condescending towards other members here in the forums. I'm so glad that the people I'd met in London proved to be nothing like you. The British people were so wonderful. I'll make sure to ignore whatever you post from now on, as I see everything will be a one-sided waste of oxygen...

Enjoy the faulty, safety hazard Tern that you own. Hopefully your ancient self doesn't have a catastrophic failure while jumping nonexistent curbs commuting.
Well good for you in the good ole USA. 4 more years of Trump coming up. After 11 years I think if there was a problem with the X10 it would have shown itself by now don't you? You are reaching. Out of the 30 plus thousand tern verges sold there were a couple of 100 faulty ones. Get over it.

Im going to keep pushing the wonderful Tern X10/P9/,X11. 35kph cruising speed. Then enjoy the view from the cafe. And before I ride ANY bike I do this thing called a bike inspection. Ever heard of it? You know when you check the bike over to make sure there are no issues with cracks etc. Those who have problems didn't check. If they had. They'd have never had a problem with accidents.

I told you there's no place in this world for complacency. I never ride a bike without a helmet and elbow pads. I've seen what happens to people who don't do things the RIGHT way. Prevention is alot better than cure.

Last edited by Sentinel1; 04-04-24 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-04-24, 09:59 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Well good for you in the good ole USA. 4 more years of Trump coming up. After 11 years I think if there was a problem with the X10 it would have shown itself by now don't you? You are reaching. Out of the 30 plus thousand tern verges sold there were a couple of 100 faulty ones. Get over it.

Im going to keep pushing the wonderful Tern X10/P9/,X11. 35kph cruising speed. Then enjoy the view from the cafe. And before I ride ANY bike I do this thing called a bike inspection. Ever heard of it? You know when you check the bike over to make sure there are no issues with cracks etc. Those who have problems didn't check. If they had. They'd have never had a problem with accidents.

I told you there's no place in this world for complacency. I never ride a bike without a helmet and elbow pads. I've seen what happens to people who don't do things the RIGHT way. Prevention is alot better than cure.
Umm...WHAT???🤣🤣🤣

Last edited by tds101; 04-04-24 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-05-24, 12:03 AM
Sentinel1

Umm...WHAT???🤣🤣🤣
Yes what indeed. You do things the RIGHT WAY. That's how I've made it to 60 riding in one of the most dangerous cities in the world to cycle in for the last 40 plus years. Seen many accidents. And most of them are the cyclists fault. Especially the ones who have no idea that them vs the road. The roads always going to win. Flying through heavy traffic with no helmet on and flip flops on their feet. Like it's a Sunday stroll on a beach boardwalk.

And the number one thing is COMPLACENCY. They've been taking risks for years and gotten away with it. So they assume they always will. And then one day it happens. And the most vulnerable part of their body. The head isnt protected. The elbows too extremely important As a sudden fall usually means all your weight goes onto one of your arms. In the elbow forearm region. Before your hands can hit the floor.

Yes seen some horrible sights. Especially these delivery riders on these big ugly electric bikes. Most of them don't wear helmets. Darting all over the place. You compare laws for how someone has to dress on a motor bike. Just because they have the potential to go as fast as a car.

Well it makes no difference once you get anywhere near 20mph a sudden fall can be fatal. Especially without some form of protective clothing.

Last edited by Sentinel1; 04-05-24 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-05-24, 12:31 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 309 Posts
Though I love my 2X (infrequent) folder, big-wheel bikes serve at least two purposes: a) Have racer-high gearing without a massive chainring with poor ground clearance or an internal hub gear to get an overdrive for small wheels; My 20" wheels will do 85 gear inches on 50-11, but that won't do for a racer or fast recreational rider. And b) Off-road traction in soft stuff. Oh and c) Great road racers have an aesthetic quality to them that my folder will never match.
Likes For Duragrouch:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.