Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Gilardi

Old 09-15-16, 07:46 AM
joehayes999

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gilardi

I would appreciate views/information especially regarding date and value. I imported it from Italy, after spending a week in Lecco last summer and then seeing the bike on ebay. Fate I guess.
Size is 54cm x 54cm
Here is a list of the components-
The heat tube decal has the coats of arms of the city of Lecco, which is on the beautiful Lake Como.
Original paint. It is too good to respray and too bad to say it's 100%. I just cleaned rust spots off and used clear lacquer over them. Innercables are new, outer are original.
Derailleurs and shifts - Rino. This is the original Rino derailleur from 1978. Disrealigears suggest this was produced until 1983. It is a straight copy (licenced or otherwise) of a Suntour
Freewheel - Suntour perfect 14/16/18/20/23/26
Crank - Sugino Tourist 52/42 with Sugino BB
Pedals - MKS. I replaced the clips and straps with Wellgo ones. The original straps had Gilardi printed on in Gold but where not usable. They can tie up the spare tub.
Brakes - Dia-Compe G
Levers - Gialli GG76 (for people with extra long hands!!)
Bar & Quill - ITM (I replaced the stem with a new Kalloy due to reach issues.
Headset- Ofmega
The tape and hoods are new (Velox cotton tape with shellac, original was black, and Dia-Compe hoods).
Saddle - Selle Royale - Gilardi printed on.
Seatpost - 3ttt
Seatpost bolt - Campagnolo (I have no idea why that is!)
Dropouts - Gilardi's own ones.
Rims - Mavic tubular with Gilardi decal
Hubs & Skewers - Miche with Gilardi stamped on.
Tyres - New Tufo's. I have the original Wolber's but they are beyond use.
A nice mix but seems like he used whatever was lying around in the workshop!!
Overall weight as you see it there is 10.5kg.

The number 88 is stamped below the BB. Not sure if it means year or series. I was thinking this was from early to mid 80's, rather than 1988, but I am no expert. This is no engraving on the crown or the head tube. Perhaps he did this in earlier years or different models.

Last edited by joehayes999; 09-15-16 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-15-16, 09:26 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Pretty.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-18-16, 07:16 PM
lowgear45

Bikes: Picchio, Masi, Herse, McLean(6), Sparrow, Frejus(2), Legnano(3), Merz(2), Raleigh Pro, RSachs, Moulton, Calzone, Urago, Paisley, Ritchey, B.Jackson, Piave, Bottecchia, Paramount(2), Hurlow(4), ICS, Colnago(3), Weigle, Gilmour, Pinarello, etc.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Gilardi bike?

This is a fascinating bike... It is of course a lower-to-mid range model with economy of production paramount. One must assume that this is a bike shop that made an investment in a batch, enough bikes to allow their name (decal or engraved) to be placed on many components; hubs, dropouts, rims, etc. The Rino components are also an interesting feature. These look so Suntour but apparently are not. Those came and went in the 1980s, early 1990s. But were not at all bad for their era.

So, what's it worth? Sadly it has no collectibility among velo vintagistas, just too obscure and nor "fancy" enough. So in our area, sadly it would not bring more than $150ish for a college student wanting a inexpensive steel ride. But thanks for showing it to us!
Old 09-19-16, 05:46 AM
joehayes999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowgear45
This is a fascinating bike... It is of course a lower-to-mid range model with economy of production paramount. One must assume that this is a bike shop that made an investment in a batch, enough bikes to allow their name (decal or engraved) to be placed on many components; hubs, dropouts, rims, etc. The Rino components are also an interesting feature. These look so Suntour but apparently are not. Those came and went in the 1980s, early 1990s. But were not at all bad for their era.

So, what's it worth? Sadly it has no collectibility among velo vintagistas, just too obscure and nor "fancy" enough. So in our area, sadly it would not bring more than $150ish for a college student wanting a inexpensive steel ride. But thanks for showing it to us!
Thank you for that. It is pretty much what I thought. The relationship between Rino and Suntour is a bit questionable, some say Rino were produced under licence, others that they just copied Suntour in the days when it was not as easy to keep track of what was going on in other parts of the world. Gilardi manufactured bikes from 1947 up to the early 2000's apparently. It cost me €150 ($165) + shipping + whatever bits I put into it (tyres, bearings, toe clips and quill stem).

Last edited by joehayes999; 09-20-16 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-05-19, 03:53 PM
Dariobalestrini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stickers

Dear ,
can I ask you measure of the stickers please? I sandblasted my Gilardi and now I can’t find them. Please it’s been 2 years that I’ m finding these stickers. Please

let me know
Old 04-06-19, 07:20 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
What is sad is, "obscure" brands such as this one, never get any recognition I suspect, mostly because of their less flashy graphics, and simple finishes. I'm sure that some of these could give some well known bike brand bikes, a run for their money, when it comes to ride quality and handling.
Old 04-07-19, 06:00 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Dariobalestrini
Dear ,
can I ask you measure of the stickers please? I sandblasted my Gilardi and now I can’t find them. Please it’s been 2 years that I’ m finding these stickers. Please

let me know
This person's last post was September 2016, so I would not hold your breath waiting for a response. Instead, I would printout some of the pictures above, and compare to a bike making an educated guess.
Old 04-08-19, 02:48 AM
joehayes999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dariobalestrini
Dear ,

let me know
It's ok. I am still alive!! I can do this for you. So it is measurements of the "Gilardi" printed on the downtube and the front decal on the headtube. Is that what you want?

Joe
Old 04-09-19, 01:50 PM
Dariobalestrini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes perfectly.
if you available also the dimension of the letters. Please
Old 04-28-19, 02:36 AM
Dariobalestrini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Email

Originally Posted by joehayes999
It's ok. I am still alive!! I can do this for you. So it is measurements of the "Gilardi" printed on the downtube and the front decal on the headtube. Is that what you want?

Joe
Dear joe,

I’m still alive. I can’t send a private message with less than 10 post. My email is my surnames balestrini . dario gmail. Com
i hope that you know where put @.

Let te me know and thanks again