Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-19, 01:06 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by CMBravo
you r really scared of needles. well I must admit am to. Am more scared of surgery. you should google knee surgery videos. All I can say is I had my shots at the end of 2016 and have not looked back.. NOW I have trigger fingers . not fun getting old.
Wow, if it has lasted since 2016 that's really encouraging. I see my doc next month for routine physical; will definitely ask. Surgery would just be more time off the bike :-(. I swear riding is more mental benefit for me than anything; I don't ride, I get super cranky. Yeah, no needles if I can help it and I can't put stuff in my eyes, either. Weird. I don't mind getting old, it's just my body that objects, lol.
Old 04-01-19, 09:05 PM
jbbr

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale CAAD10, Santa Cruz Cameleon, 92 Gary Fisher paragon, 94 Cannondale r400 roadie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I feel your pain. I have also had to deal with a mandatory shut down/ cut back/ rest period when I would have no part of it. In 2016, pulled up lame in a 5K road race. No pain- just felt something wasn't right in a knee and cut the race short, walked back to the start/ finish and had an early beer. Tried to run on the bad right knee two days later and really bottomed out cause I couldn't. Well, R.I.C.E., weights, PT was to no avail. Ortho found a 2" stress fx to the femur. Ten weeks without being able to run.

Panic, depression, worry for a few days but what can you do. Well, cycling was ok. Mountain biking helped. Bought a road bike. Had one in 94, a nice Cannondale but sold it cause, well, I was a runner, you know.

It's 2019 and I still run( maybe 10 miles@week on the mill or dirt) but, I ride on the roads or singletrack when the weather allows and compete on Zwift in the winter. I'm happy, fit but, I know the damn knee could tell me tomorrow its had enough and its time to care of me-the knee(again!). Was told in 2016 to expect a knee replacement in a couple years. Last summer had a repeat MRI and re-eval. doc said it looks good-- "what are you doing to keep it together?". Told him everything I could think of- weights, cross training, primarily cycling in a serious but, realistic way for a 67 yr old. He said-- "Well, whatever you are doing, keep doing it"

My take on where you are - be patient, be kind to yourself and realize that what you truly love and think you can never do without may not be sustainable. It well might be but, it may be time for a change.

Good Luck to you, linberl.
Old 04-01-19, 10:47 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by jbbr
My take on where you are - be patient, be kind to yourself and realize that what you truly love and think you can never do without may not be sustainable. It well might be but, it may be time for a change.

Good Luck to you, linberl.
Thanks. I haven't found anything that gives me the kind of mental release I get from cycling. It truly is an addiction. If the knees don't cooperate in the future, I'd try all sort of options before giving it up: electric motors, recumbents, etc. There's even an adaptive cycling shop near me where they make bikes that are pedalled by hand cranks instead of foot cranks. I'm gonna be like Keith Richards and just
keep on in spite of what medical science says!
Old 04-05-19, 08:28 AM
Alloyboy

Bikes: Empire 3 speed. Resolution Get away mtb. 10 speed.Sekine. No rco. Mountaineer SL.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am a newbie once again after my computer crashed and I lost everything. I think this section is the place I would be comfortable in as I am a June 1931 model guy.
Greetings from Guelph ON. 180 miles east of Detroit.
Old 04-05-19, 12:31 PM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Alloyboy
I am a newbie once again after my computer crashed and I lost everything. I think this section is the place I would be comfortable in as I am a June 1931 model guy.
I love the part about 1931 model year. There are so few of us 80'ish guys still pedaling. WELCOME!
Old 04-05-19, 01:15 PM
Alloyboy

Bikes: Empire 3 speed. Resolution Get away mtb. 10 speed.Sekine. No rco. Mountaineer SL.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you ctpres for your Welcome.
Old 04-07-19, 03:27 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Interesting factoid, fyi-- those big splotcy red spots out of nowhere on the backs of your hands and arms that turn purple and fade and are gone in ~3 weeks -- due to bruise, poking, etc. -- that, you sometimes don't even remember what you must 'a done...

… they have a name: ‘Bateman’s Purpura’
Old 04-08-19, 06:50 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
Interesting factoid, fyi-- those big splotcy red spots out of nowhere on the backs of your hands and arms that turn purple and fade and are gone in ~3 weeks -- due to bruise, poking, etc. -- that, you sometimes don't even remember what you must 'a done...

or idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, but I prefer yours!
Old 04-08-19, 10:17 PM
HM70

Bikes: Bertoni SLX (Daccordi)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Miami Biker
Earlier in March mentioned two of us wanted to ride our age (74 in 10 days for me and 72 soon for friend).

Well today the stars came into alignment and we rode 76.7 miles in five hours. Goal was to average over 15 MPH which we did.

First age ride since 2017 when broke my hip; so very pleased to do this again.

FWIW seemed to get stronger the longer we road. Hard to believe but feels great. Wonderful sense of achievement even though it matters little in reality.

With this ride reached 611 miles in March — the most in some time.
I think your achievement matters a lot. I just finished my longest ride since turning 70 and all the aches and pains that come from aging seem to melt away. Or at least get pushed into the background the more I ride. Best medicine for everything. It just makes me feel so young again. Congratulations to both of you!
Old 04-10-19, 08:44 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
My wife had her 70th a few days ago. We rode her age on our tandem, now a 143 y.o. team. Two of our riding buddies came with us on their singles. The great thing about doing that was that it kept her mind occupied with having fun on the bike all day instead of on aging. Then we went to a party I'd planned - filled our favorite restaurant with all our biking friends, took almost every chair. It was a wonderful day. It felt good to be so young. The next day we drove to our off-the-grid, wood stove heated cabin in the Okanogan highlands. it snowed! I chopped wood. We walked the fence and repaired a bit of it. We paid $6000 for that 20 acres many decades ago. Good times.
Old 04-10-19, 08:59 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Two more years and I will officially be able to join this group of fine ladies and gents.

You are all inspirational.
Old 04-11-19, 06:03 AM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Carbonfiberboy: GREAT story.
Old 04-11-19, 12:28 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by ctpres
Carbonfiberboy: GREAT story.
+1
Super story, and relationship.

@Carbonfiberboy - I really should come your way for a ride with you.
Old 04-11-19, 12:39 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

@Alloyboy - Welcome to BF. Congrats on model year, musta been a good one.
You got 2 decades and a month on me.
Looking forward to reading a few 'pearls' in your posts,
as I'd like to be a cyclist 2 decades and a month into the future.

When you hit 10 posts, love to see an image of that Cinelli and Raleigh.

Ride on!
Old 04-11-19, 01:23 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Whatever they're called, I get 'em too. Any little bump does it. BUT! There's stuff that helps them go away called Dermend. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTC1IJT/
It works, sort of. Not a quick fix but they go away quicker and occur less frequently if I use it. Makes the skin look nicer too. Not cheap so depends on how vain one is. I use it . . . I bought the last bottle Dec. 6.
Old 04-11-19, 01:44 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Wildwood
+1
Super story, and relationship.

@Carbonfiberboy - I really should come your way for a ride with you.
Yeah, on your tandem! Ours is an '03. I pretty much only ride the tandem outdoors now. My singles are too easy. More pain is better and all that crap. We do a group ride out of Redmond, Snohomish, Monroe, or Woodinville almost every Sunday year 'round. We're the oldest riders now: those older than we aged out of the ride. We're also the slowest and get dropped as soon as the road tilts up. Our moving average was 15 on that birthday ride, 2300' of gain. This Sunday's ride might be something like this: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29688003 We've ramped up the distance and climbing because April. That's gonna hurt.

I have riding buddies who spent their honeymoon in jail, back in the day.
Old 04-11-19, 03:49 PM
Alloyboy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hello Wildwood,
Thank you for the Welcome.
Regards.
Old 04-11-19, 03:56 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Whatever they're called, I get 'em too. Any little bump does it. BUT! There's stuff that helps them go away called Dermend. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTC1IJT/
It works, sort of. Not a quick fix but they go away quicker and occur less frequently if I use it. Makes the skin look nicer too. Not cheap so depends on how vain one is. I use it . . . I bought the last bottle Dec. 6.
good tip... this outfit not impressed: https://shaundona.com/dermend-reviews.html

...however, perhaps the daily body lotion on the forearms also is helping.
Old 04-11-19, 04:24 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

good tip... this outfit not impressed: ▷ DerMend SHOCKING Reviews 2019 - Does It Really Work?

...however, perhaps the daily body lotion on the forearms also is helping.
That's a typical BS website which competitors put up. Very common in the supplement and self-care world. Note the "buy ours" msg at the bottom. 70% 5-stars on Amazon. I'm cheap and only use it once a day.
Old 04-12-19, 10:35 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Thinking ahead....

I’ve been wondering what the newest generation will be riding (?) for lightweight 2 wheeled transport in the future. Hopefully at least partially powered with human engine input required. Or something else. Hehe, see what I did to stay Forum & thread relevant - just over 5 weeks.

edit: no offense meant for trikes, geezers will guarantee that they stay in the mix. Can’t beat the stability.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-12-19 at 10:47 AM. Reason: gotta include the grey beards
Old 04-20-19, 04:51 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Welcome to the club. Living in Oakville now, but originally from the Elmira area just to the west of you.
Old 04-20-19, 06:48 AM
Alloyboy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you for the Welcome Dan. I love this new way of writing letters. No stamps to lick and ride your boneshaker to the post office to mail it. Stay warm.
Jim.
Old 04-20-19, 07:42 PM
McBTC

Thank you for the Welcome Dan. I love this new way of writing letters. No stamps to lick and ride your boneshaker to the post office to mail it. Stay warm.
Jim.
You should be the 'senior' member... Cheers!
Old 04-21-19, 06:38 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Ah, yes -- my neighbor across the river (north of Detroit). I think I went through Guelph a long time ago (almost 50 years!) en route to a friend's place in St Catharines. Aren't you right near the top of the escarpment? I really long for the days when going over to Canada was just a matter of making the crossing and answering a couple of questions -- not like the major, military-style atmosphere these days. A favorite biking route was to take the ferry from Algonac to Walpole Island (First Nations territory!), ride up along the river, then cross back from Sombra to Marine City. Now the border crossing is not only a hassle, but the Marine City Ferry has been out of service over a year with no known rebuild date (if ever) .
Old 04-21-19, 09:44 AM
Alloyboy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hello DougG,
Yes we had such wonderful times in Michigan years ago without the crossings hassle encountered nowadays.
I always used the Sombra to Marine City ferry to cross the river. We loved the bike riding all along the lake to the camp ground south of Marine City. Each year there was a flyin for planes with floats at the camp ground and all the pilots had fun showing off their planes and renewing old aquaintances from former years. Much fun was had by all indeed. Thankyou once again DougG.
Regards.
Jim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.